Irish Champion Stakes Day

We can almost be certain Rip Van Winkle runs. He lookes like being a shade odds on when it is 100% confirmed. Surely he is worth taking on?

Disappointed Fame And Glory is not running as I think we were going to learn alot more about him in this race - but I think Rip Van Winkle should be a comfortable winner. I hope they ride him a bit more aggressively.

Disappointed Fame And Glory is not running as I think we were going to learn alot more about him in this race - but I think Rip Van Winkle should be a comfortable winner. I hope they ride him a bit more aggressively.

Sure I told you last week RIP would be the one for this race. :D:ninja:

I'm struggling to find a reason to take him on. 11/4 each way 3 places is the only reasonable alterrnative. Twice Over will be a bigger price on the day but probably to only two places.

Almost certain to be only 2 places. I'd imagine Ballydoyle will run 3. Then there's Sea Lord and Twice Over. Famous Name must be a doubt if it's fast, as is Poet and Cavalryman seems to be going to Germany.

In answer to Galileo's point about riding RIP more aggressively, I'd say this is likely with such a small field.

It could still turn into a cracker. Twice Over looked far more likely to go straight to Newmarket for their Champion Stakes so it has to be a positive for his chances that they reoppose Rip Van Winkle. I can't see there being much between them.

It could still turn into a cracker. Twice Over looked far more likely to go straight to Newmarket for their Champion Stakes so it has to be a positive for his chances that they reoppose Rip Van Winkle. I can't see there being much between them.

I wonder if they thought they'd be facing F&G and fancied their chances against him over 10 furlongs on fast ground? I would have, if I was them. I'd be less keen on taking on RIP in the seem circumstances and would be disappointed if the RIP doesn't win.

If you can find any EVS your doing better than me.

5/6 with Bet365.

Last edited:
According to O'Brien final running plans for the Group 1 Leopardstown event won't be made until Friday morning but Rip Van Winkle, Cape Blanco and Beethoven look like representing the stable in a race O'Brien has won on five occasions.
Fame And Glory, who ran second to Sea The Stars in the race a year ago, has not yet been ruled out of Saturday's renewal but he may wait for the Prix Foy at Longchamp on September 12 before contesting the Qatar Prix de L'Arc de Triomphe next month.
Johnny Murtagh, the Ballydoyle number one, will be at Leopardstown on Saturday when he is expected to partner Rip Van Winkle in the Tattersalls Millions Irish Champion Stakes.

According to O'Brien final running plans for the Group 1 Leopardstown event won't be made until Friday morning but Rip Van Winkle, Cape Blanco and Beethoven look like representing the stable in a race O'Brien has won on five occasions.
Fame And Glory, who ran second to Sea The Stars in the race a year ago, has not yet been ruled out of Saturday's renewal but he may wait for the Prix Foy at Longchamp on September 12 before contesting the Qatar Prix de L'Arc de Triomphe next month.
Johnny Murtagh, the Ballydoyle number one, will be at Leopardstown on Saturday when he is expected to partner Rip Van Winkle in the Tattersalls Millions Irish Champion Stakes.

Surely the declarations for this are on Thursday morning?

Sea Lord should make it a true run race. He is no back number either and could help the front two in the market put up decent ratings.

I will take 1/12 the field will be O Brien x3 Twice Over, Sea Lord and Famous Name.

Champion Stakes
1 2 Famous Name (GB)(117) (DKWeld) PJSmullen 9,07
2 6 Rip Van Winkle(126) (APO'Brien) JPMurtagh 9,07
3 4 Twice Over (GB) (HRACecil (in GB)) TPQueally 9,07
4 3 Beethoven(117) (APO'Brien) JPO'Brien(B) 9,00
5 1 Cape Blanco(119) (APO'Brien) JAHeffernan 9,00
6 5 Sea Lord (MJohnston (in GB)) KFallon 9,00

Matron
1 7 Spacious (GB) (JRFanshawe (in GB)) KFallon 9,03
2 6 Bethrah(112) (DKWeld) PJSmullen 8,12
3 1 Gile Na Greine(115) (JSBolger) KJManning 8,12
4 2 Hen Night(101) (DWachman) . 8,12
5 3 Jacqueline Quest (HRACecil (in GB)) TPQueally 8,12
6 4 Lillie Langtry(118) (APO'Brien) JPMurtagh 8,12
7 5 Music Show (MRChannon (in GB)) FMBerry 8,12

I don't see much wrong with the Matron - English and Irish Guineas first past the post plus the Falmouth and Coronation winners.

Small in number but high in class describes the Irish Champion . The balance seems to have swung back to the Juddmonte which for a few years was struggling as a top G1 .

Last edited:
Think they both look well up to scratch. Not sure on what basis the Juddmonte can now be considered the superior to the Irish Champion now.

Obviously it ought to be close between Twice Over (who looks like getting the type of going he likes) and Rip, although I would fancy Rip to edge him out again. Also it looks like Rip is preferred to Cape Blanco and Beethoven and this seems realistic.

Otherwise, Sea Lord (who has been supplemented) is as hard as nails, although it may be slightly disappointing if he is good enough, he is on the upgrade and could surprise, although this will be difficult to do from the front.

I do like Famous Name though, at a very big price, although fast ground would put me off him. Otherwise I’ll be backing him to place and win.

Last edited:
Back