Irish Champion Stakes Day

One thing for sure is you can rely on Leopardstown to produce good to firm ground on the day that is safe and fair to all. Leopardstown are in a different league to the rest of the Irish racecourses for correct watering and ground management particularly when compared to The Curragh.

I would not be rushing to back him at 11/8 on fast ground with his dodgy pegs. There is also a slight element that Murtaghs good ride at York mugged Twice Over who went to win his race against Byword. I would find it hard to split the two.

Good ride? RIP won at York despite the man onboard imo. He's a half stone better animal at his best and Twice Over is due a poor run after being at it all summer.

I hope O'Brien lets us know tomorrow who is running - otherwise it will ruin the build up to the race. If Rip Van Winkle runs I think he wins easily and while I expect Fame And Glory to win (if he runs) it is not so cut and dry with him.

Declarations have to be made by Thursday so really they should know at this stage.

I hope O'Brien lets us know tomorrow who is running - otherwise it will ruin the build up to the race. If Rip Van Winkle runs I think he wins easily and while I expect Fame And Glory to win (if he runs) it is not so cut and dry with him.

Declarations have to be made by Thursday so really they should know at this stage.

It should be a highlight of our flat season but the main story is which horse runs. Really bad PR for the race.

Rip Van Winkle shortened to evens with Ladbrokes so looks like he does indeed run. Ground will be very fast come Saturday - hope it does not put off Twice Over to come over.

Rip should go off favourite I reckon and probably win. However, Famous Name interests me in this. He has been very comfortable in his victories this season. This would probably bring out his best performance to date, which he would no doubt need.

Makes sense to me for Fame & Glory to go the other route and Rip to represent here.

Rip should go off favourite I reckon and probably win. However, Famous Name interests me in this. He has been very comfortable in his victories this season. This would probably bring out his best performance to date, which he would no doubt need.

Makes sense to me for Fame & Glory to go the other route and Rip to represent here.

What set of circumstances would not send him off favourite?

Famous Name is just shy of Group 1 level with cut in the ground. On good to firm ground he is a Group 2 horse at best.

Famous Name is just shy of Group 1 level with cut in the ground. On good to firm ground he is a Group 2 horse at best.

You see that's what I'm saying... this is what he is perceived to be. I think he could be even better than this. He has never been better than he is now.

What set of circumstances would not send him off favourite?

Perhaps if they ran Fame & Glory/Cape Blanco against him (although this is unlikely at least in respect of Fame), or if Twice Over was backed heavily, dramatic change of going just before the off, etc. This aside he should be favourite and hopefully ought to win.

But that perception is surely based upon all of his form to date?

He's been impressive this year against lesser opposition but I'm not convinced he's made the necessary improvement (if he's made any at all) to make up into a Genuine Group 1 performer.

But that perception is surely based upon all of his form to date?

He's been impressive this year against lesser opposition but I'm not convinced he's made the necessary improvement (if he's made any at all) to make up into a Genuine Group 1 performer.

That's fair enough... I am convinced though.

It is a pity they did not run him against Goldikova and Makfi when the ground was right. I hate the campaigns both Famous Name and Profound Beauty have had - fair enough if the owners needed the prizemoney (they don't) but they both should surely have found a Group 1 to contest by now this season.

I think Famous Name has been nicely placed by Weld all season -I wouldn't be surprised if a Grade 1 in America is the plan.

The way he picked up F and G and Mastercraftsman in a matter of strides sends a tingle down the spine .

Anyone in the Tote Go Racing Club can avail of this offer -

"You can go to this top class racemeeting for only €10 (usually €20). In addition you will receive a FREE €3 betting voucher and a FREE tea or coffee for the Leopardstown Lounge where a tipster will be on hand throughout the day."

Free to sign up and time to do it if anyone is going.

This has been a great promotion, I hope to avail of it again next Saturday. I've saved about 50 euro on admissions with it so far.

Back