Irish Champions Weekend 2023

Some top races this weekend in Ireland.

Leopardstown on Saturday then the Curragh on Sunday.

Pending the final declarations I fancy one for the big six furlong handicap at the Curragh on Sunday. Is there any proper rain due for the Curragh area this week or weekend? It could make all the difference.

Last edited:
My google search says isolated thunderstorms due Saturday and a thundershower due Sunday for the Curragh.

So the rain is forecast. We'll have to see how it gets into the ground.

Now I better **** off this thread, given it's about Leopardstown on Saturday.

Last edited:
The King George seemed to suggest that the older horses have sway this year and I've backed Onesto who ran really well in the race last year and who was most eye catching in the Marois over an inadequate trip.

No Marb it is about the weekend.
Usually The Curragh is a magnet for rain, especially on big race days.

Well, my alledged good thing for the Curragh on Sunday, provided there was rain, goes instead for the 6 furlong at Wolverhampton on Thursday evening.

Typical, eh. The plot has thickened.

Last edited:
A wild and somewhat feral stab on Point Lonsdale at treble figure odds for me.

He won twice over the 10 furlongs or thereabouts earlier this season. He had a break since disappointing over 12F last time. He was a smart two year old performer who started 11-2 for the 2000 Guineas. With these nine runners I think there's enough there for me to want to back him each way. He might be a horse for a back to lay at these odds on Betfair too.

Last edited:
Why not marb? Apart from Frankie kindling my fire now and then this flat season has been as exciting as watching paint dry.

Very poor crop imo

Last edited:
Apparently he’s said he would consider continue riding after his “retirement” in somewhere like California....if he was offered enough :whistle:

Picks today:

Race 1
1 Kitty Rose
2. Sea the Boss

Race 2
1. Diego
2. Formal Display

Race 3
1. Tahiyra
2. Meditate

Race 4
1. Onesto
2. Alflailia

Race 5
1. Alfred M
2. Flight Plan

Race 6
1. Al Aasy (NAP)
2. Valiant King

Race 7
1. Enfranchise
2. Merlin Giant

Race 8
1. Dunum (NB)
2. Rhoscolyn

Enjoy. Hopefully cross paths with some later on??

I am not against Frankie agreeing a fee to ride at a track where they would turn out in their droves to see him. Should the course just keep the extra income and he be paid zero?

Lester was the first to ask "How Much" and he never did nothing for nothing during his entire career after wards. Willie Carson asked and got a percentage of horses he won big races and has anet worth of 5 million we know of.

Jockeys like football players entertain millions and have a short career.......for me they are worth every penny they are paid.

Last edited:
Oh Hollie, Hollie, Hollie....did it again! Far too far back and gave the mare way too much to do. Maybe thought the pace was quick but she could have been handier.

. Willie Carson asked and got a percentage of horses he won big races and has anet worth of 5 million we know of.

Jockeys like football players entertain millions and have a short career.......for me they are worth every penny they are paid.

So does Frankie, and stallion rights too.

I've heard the California rumour as well. I can't see Dettori quitting, his ego would miss it too much.

Hollie Doyle oh my. I mean, did she go there with a plan. Terrible terrible ride.

What you had a here was the third best horse in the race handled by the best trainer, ridden by the best jockey, the best tactics..on home soil. If you're gonna overcome that you have to be positive.

Last edited:
Tbf to Hollie,she probably hung back off a strong pace thinking they'd come back to her.
What she failed to take into account was the detemination to make AR a 10f sire imo,and it panned out perfectly for them.

But it’s not a track they tend to come back on? The Ballydoyle team dictated and ensured their flagship horse who gets further, was giving a testing pace. On the chance that he faltered Luxembourg was there to step into his shoes. She should have sat closer imo.

Back