Irish Chasers

I am not suggesting Notre Pere is a superstar. But he is a resolute galloper who jumps well and has given Knocknabooly a good beating over a trip short short of Notre Pere’s best already.

Notre Pere did well to win at Christmas on ground much too good. In softer conditions he would have been a comfortable winner.

Pedrobob is the novice that has stood out for me. Not sure how high he can go in open company, but given his age and previous race wins, i think he will have a very fruitful novice campaign

Originally posted by Galileo@Jan 8 2008, 09:29 AM
I am not suggesting Notre Pere is a superstar. But he is a resolute galloper who jumps well and has given Knocknabooly a good beating over a trip short short of Notre Pere’s best already.

Notre Pere did well to win at Christmas on ground much too good. In softer conditions he would have been a comfortable winner.
Think they were being very conservative with Knocknabooly that day Galileo, in his first chase. Thought he was a non trier for the first half of the race.

Sorry, Pedrobob and Big Zeb need to be thrown into the picture also. Nice bunch. I would be surprised if Notre Pere for instance was rated higher than those at the end of the Year. I'm looking forward to the Powers Gold Cup more than any chase at the festival this year.

“Think they were being very conservative with Knocknabooly that day Galileo, in his first chase.”

In truth he is ridden like that quite a lot, even in his bumper days. Regardless he was put in the race at the right time and looked the winner (certainly more likely than Notre Pere turning in) but could maintain his gallop in the conditions.

I would fancy Pedrobob, Big Zeb and a few others you have mentioned to out class Notre Pere on better ground. But in very soft ground over three miles he equipped to tough it out with the better novices. Like I said we wont see the best of him until he gets three miles in very heavy ground.

Of all the novices I think Glencove Marina, Big Zeb and Skys The Limit have the potential to be top class 3 mile chasers.

I thought the chase course was testing enough for Notre Pere's race, certainly softer than the official description. I'm sure someone has done a time analysis to prove me wrong, but they were out on there feet the whole way down the straight in the novice race and Beef or Salmon made a good job of getting back at the leaders in the Lexus.

Like Garney, I thought Callherwhatulike was the one to take out of the Novice race, just wasn't suited to the extreme pace in the ground.

Originally posted by Galileo@Jan 8 2008, 10:08 AM
“Think they were being very conservative with Knocknabooly that day Galileo, in his first chase.”

In truth he is ridden like that quite a lot, even in his bumper days. Regardless he was put in the race at the right time and looked the winner (certainly more likely than Notre Pere turning in) but could maintain his gallop in the conditions.

I would fancy Pedrobob, Big Zeb and a few others you have mentioned to out class Notre Pere on better ground. But in very soft ground over three miles he equipped to tough it out with the better novices. Like I said we wont see the best of him until he gets three miles in very heavy ground.

Of all the novices I think Glencove Marina, Big Zeb and Skys The Limit have the potential to be top class 3 mile chasers.
KNocknabooly might turn out to be a 2m chaser on a stiff track. His hurdles form isnt very good and has improved this year.

What I am saying is that to me he is likely to gain a higher rating than Notre Pere during this year. Despite being beaten by him. Notre Pere might win a Welsh National next year or something like a Leopardstown Chase, but I dont see him being anything more than a decent handicapper in his conditions. He did manage to win a weak Grade 1 though, adn best of luck to dreaper with him. Would love to see him have a champion again.

Of the three you mentioned, I think Big Zeb is by the far the most promising. Surprised I forgot him earlier, I had been banging his drum long enough.

"Like Garney, I thought Callherwhatulike was the one to take out of the Novice race, just wasn't suited to the extreme pace in the ground."

Seems to me if they can't be arsed to give the horse a proper name they shouldn't expect the horse to be any good! :P

Gal, did you see the race where Notre Pere beat Knocknabooly....watch it again and watch the bad luck which Thyne Again had in running. Had an absolute nightmare. He should have and would have won comfortably and that's on his first run back after an absence. The horse will only improve. Has different gears to Notre Pere.

Gal, did you see the race where Notre Pere beat Knocknabooly....watch it again and watch the bad luck which Thyne Again had in running. Had an absolute nightmare. He should have and would have won comfortably and that's on his first run back after an absence. The horse will only improve. Has different gears to Notre Pere.

If you stopped the race where Good Thyne fell Knocknabooly was hacking all over Notre Pere as well but come the line he was well beaten. Knocknabooly won over 2m4f so I don’t think he simply outstayed him.

I know it was a pretty pathetic race that she won, but I'd be interested in seeing what Pomme Tiepy could do in a higher grade. Nice jumping style, a bit like Hoo La Baloo as a novice.

Any news on J'y Vole at all?

Same as with Pomme Tiepy, not the best race in the world but she couldn't have done it any easier at all. Think the distance was three minutes.

I'd agree with Garney's summary of the chasers. In fact I think Notable D'Estruval would have won easily at Greenpark on St Stephen's Day if the mishap didn't occur. Fingeronthepulse is one that could be interesting with a mistake-free round. Mallow form with Le Toscan and Callherwhatulike is good.

Originally posted by granger@Jan 9 2008, 08:37 AM
KK back on track 20th Jan. Another positive report in RP
Fingers crossed.

Does anyone think that they'd be better off spending the rest of the season building him back up bit by bit in small field conditions races (he might not even have a Grade 1 penalty at this stage) rather than chucking him back in the deep end once his comeback is out of the way?

I don't know, I imagine they think he is as built up as they can get him before he steps out onto a racecourse. You might as well assume you have a Gold Cup horse on your hands until\unless you find out that you don't. I'm sure he will be retired the moment they believe he hasn't a grade 1 race in him.

I see also Hairy Molly is due to start his chasing career soon. A bit of a longshot but not the greatest of surprises if he turned out to be ok.

Originally posted by Melendez@Jan 9 2008, 01:22 PM
I see also Hairy Molly is due to start his chasing career soon. A bit of a longshot but not the greatest of surprises if he turned out to be ok.
Damien Byrne, assistant to trainer Joe Crowley, said: “Hairy Molly’s in great form and back in full work.

“He will be ready in three to four weeks’ time and will probably start off over fences.

“He injured a suspensory (ligament) behind and needed some time off but he came back in mid-December and has been doing plenty of work.”

From irish-racing.com

Just saw the next Irish chasing star...Glencove Marina that was awesome. To pull the whole way like he did today and still win so easily was quite amazing.

yeah arkle winner maybe, i just wanna see how noland does on Wednesday now and hopefully he comes back to his supreme novices form in march! and we will have a great match up with them to coming up the hill.

Listening to Mullins on RTE it sounds like they will go the staying route with Glencove Marina and Scotsirish goes the Arkle route.

the double entries are very anoying tiday bay and glencove marina both entered for arkle and RS&A doesnt help the ante post punters that are looking for the value!

Back