Irish General Election

Who is the 9/2 shot in Carrow/KK.
If I asked for odds on the 1/40 shot not to be elected what price would I get -I would consider 5/2 to be value.

@ppolitics on Twitter or alternatively call up and ask for a price during office hours. You'll be quoted bigger than 5/2. Maybe 8/1.

Last edited:
I doubt there was ever anything but modest multiples allowed (if at alll) and I doubt anyone ever landed a touch from it. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Clement Freud who wrote for the Racing Post was elected to Parliament in the 70's-he was the main mover in backing himself from 14s into 7/2 and landed some tasty multiple bets with other Liberal party successful candidates.After that it became an accepted rule that you could only do single bets on elections.
Must Google that article-very interesting read.

The Healy-Rae family is in pole position to pull off the biggest stroke of the election. Their internal polling obviously pointed to a double quota for Michael Healy-Rae and they quickly added brother Danny Healy-Rae to the ticket. Dabby was backed from 8/1 and all all prices down to EVS before the TG4 poll showed two brothers at 42%. These lads only look stupid.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/poli...o-take-kerry-seats-reveals-tg4-poll-1.2537104

Last edited:
The Healy-Rae family is in pole position to pull off the biggest stroke of the election. Their internal polling obviously pointed to a double quota for Michael Healy-Rae and they quickly added brother Danny Healy-Rae to the ticket. Dabby was backed from 8/1 and all all prices down to EVS before the TG4 poll showed two brothers at 42%. These lads only look stupid.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/poli...o-take-kerry-seats-reveals-tg4-poll-1.2537104

I was out to lunch with the most political animal I know yesterday and he was saying exactly the same thing.

In my own constituency-Waterford -John Halligan is 1/40 to be elected-in my opinion he will struggle-he has gained a reputation for being aloof which isn't good for a left wing candidate.He fell over the line at the last election and people were a lot angrier then-I don't know if being wingman for Shane Ross will get him many votes.

going to be a long day for him-might just about do it.

One of the best election touches was landed summer 1981.
Myra Barry was polled Td most likely to lose her seat.
A Youghal bookie priced her 7/2 to keep her seat.
Next day a Fianna Fail stamped package arrived at her office containing £400 from Charlie McCreevy for Myra to bet on herself.
Anyways word got around and her punting party faithful wellied in and canvassed their asses off to get her elected.
Good old Charlie wouldn't even take the winnings off her after, saying the youth were the future of the country and there were too many grey heads in Dail Eireann !

Happy days indeed; the start of the great coalition no doubt.
P.S. when I told a few FG canvassers this story lately they were shocked .

Back