Irish Grand National

I fancy Officier De Reserve at a big price, each-way. Had been off for over a year before his run at Cheltenham, where he was a bit slow but got into it late and stayed on, beaten 10 lengths in the end. That was a perfectly good run after such a long time off and he'll definitely be more suited to the longer trip. The ground shouldn't be too much of a problem to him either, so I'll take him each-way at a nice price.

it's easier to make money when the ground is soft/heavy - easy to eliminate more horses.

There are many horses who can cope with soft but not heavy and then you have the problem with drying, tacky ground. Personally, I would describe that as a punting minefield but clearly you must know how to differentiate if you find it easy.

Much of the racing in Ireland is on soft/heavy ground which makes it especially difficult to establish whether horses are just winning races on the basis that they are at less of a disadvantage than others.

Perhaps you can give a definitive list of horses who will cope with the soft ground at Aintree?

My shortlist consists of:

Telenor
Alpha Ridge
Hangover
Across The Bay
Operation Houdini
Saddler's Storm

The Martin horse actually looks like being a backable price at stand-out 8's with Ladbrokes. Relentlessly progressive and should get the trip standing on his head.

Telenor makes a fair bit of appeal given he has an ideal profile for this race. I initially thought he had was on a fairly harsh mark but if you consider he had Inistioge beaten 14l at Navan (I'm forgetting Uimhiraceathair's run that day), he may well be on a fair mark.

Siegemaster out to 60 on Betfair. 28/1 with the books and no other runner is trading with such a discrepancy. Im no longer expecting him to run well.

Stewarts House lacks experience over fences but is nicely progressive and even if today isn't the day should be worth following in the future.

Ruby more or less said he could have ridden Saddlers Storm if he wanted to.Ruby mentioned that he did it nicely the last day on better ground while he hasn't been as impressive on heavy ground.I thought he was fairly dismissive about his chances.

I've had a decent bet on Beckett rock at all prices on BF. Not far behind Zaarito lto, will improve for the distance and should stay. I've also had smaller amounts on Siegemaster, Officier de reserve and Across the bay. difficult race.

I must admit I thought Siegemaster would win turning in but was going to be unplaced when falling. I could not have found the winner.

Brian Gleeson has called Alpha Ridge 5th on RTE. He was pulled up? Agus A Vic was 5th?

Last edited:
Brian Gleeson also gave a good mention for the winner. Thanks Brian as I had a fiver on at 36s, along with a fiver on Hangover and Will Jamie Run, so was hoping Oscar Time was not going to beat me from the second last. That race was a pure lottery and I'm sure if you ran it again you'd get a different result. Was Telenor ok after his fall....looked like his shoulder was in trouble.

Had Moskova each-way - has a cracking record around Fairyhouse and wins/runs/places over fences. Sadly not to be though she did travel very well into the race having been badly hampered.

Thought Agus A Vic finished fifth Gearoid - just got up on the line.

A New Story fourth - what a ridiculously good horse he is to be consistently churning out these efforts - love him.

Telenor definitely looked to just catch his leg in the reins - great to see Seigemaster get up ok too.

The winner looks a really buzzy sort but seemed fresh and well after the race.

Really surprising to see so many finish and seemingly no serious injuries - great effort.

get your wallet out - 5/4 now. he's 4 from 17 in his career which is worse than i thought.

Back