Irish Leger

Evidently he just won't go on soft at all any more - would have been so much more sensible to go to Donny .

What a stupendous run by Clowance just got tired close home .

Looks dodgy form to me. Alandi and Clowance were going nowhere turning in.

I think that the ground is very tacky - perhaps Peslier went too quick ? Terrific training performance by Charlton to get a horse to go so close in a Group 1 after 15 months off.

Last edited:
In hindsight given how things transpired, I suspect so, but I didn't think so at first, and neither did Schiaparelli's 1.09 backers!

The winner is a nice horse who could come back again for the same race next year and wouldn't be without a chance in the Ascot Gold Cup.

Only thing would worry me about Clowance was that Manning gave her a pretty hard ride . Might well bounce big time.

Always disappointing when a truly brilliant racehorse sadly trails the fiield. Fully understand why connections wanted him to race on home turf - appartently not his last race according to Channel 4. Would be sad to see him down the field again.

Always disappointing when a truly brilliant racehorse sadly trails the fiield. Fully understand why connections wanted him to race on home turf - appartently not his last race according to Channel 4. Would be sad to see him down the field again.

It was bizarre - his run in the spring shows what he thinks of soft ground nowadays . Surely would have sauntered home at Donny .

Let's hope for a dry Paris and Yeats saying goodbye in style in the Cadran .

Given the day it was at The Curragh, the owners were keen for Yeats to run despite it being pretty obvious that conditions would not suit.

I know what you mean but it made for unpleasant viewing (and sadly predictable) for the horse. Maybe he wasn't ready, but Septimus would have been interesting in this.

I know what you mean but it made for unpleasant viewing (and sadly predictable) for the horse. Maybe he wasn't ready, but Septimus would have been interesting in this.

Septimus was not ready. There were a few at the track today that held the same opinion as your own on the rights and wrongs of Yeats running today.

Very odd

Some people seemed to "know" he was going to run very poorly - 7-1 on the off. It makes you wonder for whose benefit the horse was running yesterday.

Despite a lot of people on here 'knowing' Yeats would finish badly the yard themslves were surprised he was so tailed off. But he was not pushed once it was clear he was not going to act at all. He was blowing very hard after the race but probably more because he did not like it than he had worked hard. They did not expect him to win, just to finish closer, and they were disappointed that he did not try. But the ground really was not to his liking and it was clear as he went down.

My personal opinion is also that he thinks about things now and maybe he thinks going to The Curragh is juat a bit of work only. He has galloped there quite a few times.

I still respect their decision to run him there, and let's face it with horses you never know, they make fools out of all of us. He's extremely well at home and if he does run again (which looks most likely at moment) this will have been a little exercise for him.

We saw him at end of the day and he was enjoying all the attention he was receiving and posing for fans who were taking photos of him.

People were glad to see him, it was sporting of them to race him, and it was a great days racing with the sun shining.

The ground may well be against him in France as well, we will see .....

Last edited:
Looks dodgy form to me. Alandi and Clowance were going nowhere turning in.

They went a 10f pace through the first six furlongs or so in conditions that were always going to place a huge emphasis in any case. Both Alandi and Clowance looked to have the race run pretty much exactly to suit, with the Oxx horse always going to relish a thorough test of stamina (certainly not the first time he's looked beaten turning in, only to stay on relentlessly). Oxx said before the race that a mile and six in testing ground was pretty much the bare minimum test of stamina needed to see him to best effect.

Schiaparelli ran a fantastic race considering the gallop Peslier set. Travelled best of all and only folded inside the final furlong.

Hopefully Charlton will find a fillies' only listed race for Clowance that she'll be odds for that and we can get stuck in laying her. I suspect she was flattered, and even if she wasn't, coming back from as hard a race as that won;t be easy.

Yeats .....“His options include the Cadran in France and the Breeders’ Cup Marathon. He would love quick ground in Santa Anita,” O’Brien said.

Hopefully Charlton will find a fillies' only listed race for Clowance that she'll be odds for that and we can get stuck in laying her. I suspect she was flattered, and even if she wasn't, coming back from as hard a race as that won;t be easy.

He is going to give her several weeks off by the sounds of it.

Back