Irish National

an capall

Senior Jockey
Just had a tiddle on Ballistraw at 33s on PaddyPower*. He is 12's -20 everywhere else and I think he will start around 14s.

(* 'Paddy is used in a non discriminatory context)

1 Beef Or Salmon(160) (MHourigan) -TJDoyle(B)..................... 12,00
2 Forget The Past (GB)(149) (MJPO'Brien) -BJGeraghty.................... 11,03
3 Ballistraw(147) (DHickey) -AndrewJMcNamara........ 11,01
4 Alexander Taipan(144) (WPMullins) -RMPower....................... 10,12
5 Cailin Alainn(142) (CByrnes) - DNRussell ....... 10,10
6 Notre Pere (FR)(139) (JTRDreaper) -AELynch© ................... 10,07
7 Mattock Ranger(138) (NMeade) -NPMadden(B) ................ 10,06
8 Sir Frederick(137) (WJBurke) - KTColeman .... 10,05
9 Flintoff (USA)(136) (MissVWilliams (in GB)) -AColeman(7)(B) ............. 10,04
10 Preists Leap(136) (TO'Leary) - DFO'Regan..... 10,04
11 Royal County Star(136) (AJMartin) -TJMurphy ...................... 10,04
12 Homer Wells(135) (WPMullins) - DJCondon .... 10,03
13 Vic Venturi(135) (EJO'Grady) - MPWalsh(T).... 10,03
14 Cool Running(134) (CRoche) - APCrowe ........ 10,02
15 Pomme Tiepy (FR)(132) (WPMullins) -RWalsh ......................... 10,00
16 Ballycullen Boy(130) (MrsMDanagher) -DJCasey ....................... 10,00
17 Newbay Prop(129) (AJMartin) - RGeraghty(B) 10,00
18 Barrow Drive (GB)(126) (AMullins) -ADLeigh(T).................... 10,00
19 Oodachee (GB)(126) (CFSwan) -DGHogan(3)© ............. 10,00
20 A New Story(125) (MHourigan) -SJHassett(5) ................. 10,00
21 Hear The Echo(125) (MFMorris) - PWFlood .... 10,00
22 Well Run(123) (NMeade) - PCarberry©......... 10,00
23 The Outlier(121) (MissVWilliams (in GB)) -JPElliott......................... 10,00
24 He's On His Way(116) (JABerry) -PTEnright(5).................. 10,00
25 Coolnahilla(114) (AMaguire) -SWJackson(3)(B) .......... 10,00
26 Ardlea Star(96) (POBrady) - NJO'Shea(3)....... 10,00

I will be keeping an eye out for Cool Running and Alexander Taipan. And of course hoping Beefy gets around safe and sound ahead of a likely retirement.

Ironically enough, if Ruby had been booked on Alexander from the outset I'd probably be punting him big time. Would think he's well able for this but concerned Ruby went against him initially

It will be very interesting to see what effect the change of trainer has on Vic Venturi

Yep Shirley Casper reappears this weekend too under EG's care....looks like the death of Arrive Sir Clive was the straw that broke the camel's back

Originally posted by Galileo@Mar 22 2008, 03:40 PM
The owner of Vic Venturi has removed all his horses from Fenton's and sent them on to O'Gradys.
Hardly a surprise.

So what do we think? Favourite could win this easily but his price is hard encouraging.

Must be jumping queries for Calin Alainn and the drying ground will put more pressure on it.

Alexander Taipan is a horse I like alot, jumping is clearly not his strongest suit either but Ruby on board is a massive plus for that. So I will go for him and Cool Running at a big price.

Tough one to call, I'd imagine the main protagonists in the betting will be there or thereabouts - my thoughts above about AT stand - still rate the horse but just wonder why he wasn't first choice. I think Preists Leap is a solid contender

The outsider with a squeak, for me, is Hear The Echo

Fairyhouse 3.55
(Norm 172+)

Flintoff 178 ?
Beef Or Salmon 174
Forget The Past 174 (180)
Alexander Taipan 174
Cool Running 174
Vic Venturi 173
Ballycullen Boy 173
Homer Wells 172 (177)
Cailin Alainn 172
Preists Leap 171
Royal County Star 169 +
Mattock Ranger 168 p
Sir Frederick 167 +
Ballistraw 163 +
Notre Pere 160 +

These, for me, are the main contenders.

Flintoff was very disappointing last time but his previous run against Miko De Beauchene reads very well if rated via D’Argent (which might be misleading hence the question mark) but Halcon Genelardais didn’t exactly do the Welsh National form any harm in the Gold Cup.

The handicapper appears to have given Beef Or Salmon a real shout off 160. Unfortunately, there appear to be a few others equally well-in further down the official ratings and the weight might tell late on.

Forget The Past looks well handicapped on his form this time last year and even more so on his very best old form.

Alexander Taipan is young enough to find plenty of improvement. The trainer said last year at Punchestown he thought this was a Grade 1 horse. If he’s right then 144 is a very low mark.

Cool Running’s trainer has preserved his handicap mark of 134 by running him in novice chases and he could also improve for the step up in trip. It isn’t hard to imagine this one competing off much higher marks next season.

Vic Venturi had his first run over fences since last April in the Bobbyjo and didn’t run at all badly against smart opposition. He’s another unexposed candidate who could be running off higher marks in future.

Ballycullen Boy’s best run was in the Kerry National and his curve appears to have flattened out. He could win a decent prize off this weight but there are others with better marks and more potential here today.

Homer Wells is back on the kind of mark off which I fancied him for the Aintree National last year but he’s been a bit in and out since then. He could make them all go if he ran to his best but the fact that Ruby rides Alexander Taipan probably strengthens the latter’s case.

I can’t get too excited about the others. They need to improve past others with a bit of class, which is always possible but I reckon the percentage call is to assume they’ve too much to find.

I reckon if there is a horse for the future in this race it is Alexander Taipan so he gets the nod but if any of the others are overpriced I might save on one or two.

I've gone for two outsiders in this because I can't see any outstanding candidate given the absence of Pomme Tiepy.

Forget The Past's stable has been having a quiet time of it but FTP appears to have been laid out for this and he has a touch of class.

Mattock Ranger ran well in the same prep race as FTP at Leopardstown and could get involved.

Grey's two appeal to me too, but but does no-one else fancy Well Run?
He seems to me to have a chance, has Carberry up, and is a decent e/w price.
I might have a dabble...

I can't have Forget The Past at all. Dubious stayer and I think the stable have been disappointed with him this year. More of an afterthought rather than a master plan to run him in this race. They were going to go to Cheltenham with him but felt he was very flat and that's why they went the national route instead. Like the horse but would be shocked if he figures.

Had a bit Each Way on Mattock Ranger no reason why he should not still be there at the business end of the race, at least I am hoping so. :D

I looks like we all got that one wrong :rolleyes:

Didn't look good for Alexander Taipan, he got up then fell over again and was down with Ruby bending over him - any news from Irish coverage?

Shame to see Beefy trail in last, but thank God he's in one piece

Think I heard Ted whispering there that Alexander Taipan is, unfortunately, dead.

The outsider with a squeak, for me, is Hear The Echo

As always, the regret now is that I didn't have more on. Recouped significant losses of past week though. Very easy to say in hindsight but he did have some promising form as a novice.

Well picked Bobbyjo....really really impressive. Very early days but a live candidate for the Aintree showpiece next year. Good to see Notre Pere run so well too.

A nice retirement now for Beefy.

That's indeed sad news, but well done to Bobbyjo, glad someone got a winner out of it

I didn't have a bet on the race in the end, tho Notre Pere e/w would have tempted me
Well Run ran well, just ran out of steam, I'll look out for him over 3m - he certainly can jump

Back