Irish National

• Thread starter Thread starter Gearoid
  • Start date Start date
Always loads of changes...ground, runners, jockeys etc.

I know what you are saying, but it surely is not that hard to get around. I can understand why it could annoy someone who wants to bet antepost but thats part of it. Thing is it does not happen all that often, just so happens there are two major examples this season. It will make the race more competitive.

In the Pierse Hurdle a non gambling friend of mine passed on a tip for Psycho.After the race I tried to explain to him what had happened and he found it hard to accept.

I think a compromise rule as regards a trainer/owner having another horse in the race would help, otherwise it doesn't make sense to have weights changing on the day of the race, too much confusion and it's racing not really helping itself.

There is a doubt about Wichita Lineman according to the Racing Post-this could lead to an absolutely ridiculous situation with two weight rises on the day of the race-crazy stuff.

I just double checked, in the event of the two being a non-runner there is still only one weight rise and that is for Notre Pere.

Ground remains good after watering last night to maintain the state of the ground. Might get some rain before racing though.

I had Pomme Tiepy down as a decent 150/1 shot at Aintree before the final decs.

I'm not very surprised to see Ruby aboard but what price would it be if he wasn't?

Notre Pere is a non runner.

Desert Orchid I backed Pomme Tiepy earlier in the week but I really do not fancy her on this ground now.

My two against the field are Casey Jones and Emma Jane. Casey Jones looked a shade high in the weights at first glance, but his Leopardstown form beating Trafford Lad looks solid enough, the ground will suit down to the ground and he is actually on a decent weight in comparison to the other novices IMO.

Emma Jane is another who will love the trip and ground. Could have done without her winning the innaugural Leinster National last time up (has 7lb more to shoulder here), but should give a good account of herself with conditions to suit.

Rare Bob and Drumconvis are novices with the right profile for the race but, as I said before, I'm not convinced either are on a particularly attractive mark. Arbor Supreme has an absolutely ideal profile for this race, but looks a shade exposed and might just pay for his consistency, as he has done no favours by the handicapper.

14/1 e/w 1st,2nd,3rd,4th & 5th with Paddy Power for Casey Jones looks a good shout. Rare Bob as an alternative.

Rare Bob e/w for me
Royal County Star will like the going - might do an e/w there too

Last edited:
Fine race this, it's very tough,

Arbor Supreme is my main choice, favoured to the three novices Drumconvis, Rare Bob and Casey Jones

The two live outsiders for me are Vic Venturi and Selection Box.

In the end all I've done is a place bet on Royal County Star at 5.7 just for some 'interest' - not that it's not interesting anyway! Very tough race to call, as it should be; one to enjoy but not go mad on

PS AP is going to earn his fee in this, heh heh - wonder how much weight he'll lose!
Maddening that we get no prelims for the race - damn Fakenham

(and why have TWO Bank Holiday meetings in the remoter corners of East Anglia, plus Huntingdon - arrgghh!)

Last edited:
Maddening that we get no prelims for the race - damn Fakenham

And they couldn't even go straight over for the commentary, which meant missing Wichita Lineman tipping up.

But hey, at least they've put the 4pm at Yarmouth on the red button. You can tell by THE MASSIVE RED ON-SCREEN CAPTION .

And I think Wichita Lineman is dead. Fuck :(

Edit: apologies for the alarmism if he's not, but he didn't look too good when they went past.

What a horrible race, Wichita and Drumconvis both no more, sadly...

Feel sorry for Tony Martin, have to say. Before the race he said he had two lovely horses in Drumconvis and Clarified and he lost the latter at Cheltenham...

Drumcovis got up surely? - they showed him getting to his feel and Barry G walking away finally as the went past last time on the run-in (unless that was another horse carrying green/red)

Awful about Wichita, esp after his tough race at Cheltenham.
And BF didn't even put him on 1000 during the race.

Another big win for a son of Presenting! - but I guess most of us lost on the race, not that that mattered, it was hard to watch with all the tip-ups. Did Emma Jane finish lame or was that my imagination?

Last edited:
I am so gutted, that was an awful race, don't know how the commentator could say it was a great race. Okay, so a nice horse did win and well done to someone, but the race was a mess!

Days like this make me wonder why I love national hunt racing, agree with Gareth - f*ck!

Back