Irish Oaks

Euronymous

Senior Jockey
Last edited:
Riposte joint favourite with Talent now. So basically anything that Sir Henry used to train has a minimum of two points knocked off his or her price because of sentiment now. Is this just for 2013 or will it continue next season.

With the French filly running and French tote filling the pool all other fillies should pay out well. Was it Sariska paid out 13/2 or so at Irish Oaks on the tote a few yrs ago ?

No, she paid just over evens. I can't recall an unusually high tote payout on this race in recent years.

has an engine
ridden by a proper jockey but a tricky costumer
one to treat with caution

Chiquita was entitled to run green - only her 3rd race, and on much faster ground (g/f minimum) than she'd raced on previously. Looks bound to improve for the step up in trip, too.
6/1 will do nicely for me.

I'm not sure it's much of a race. The Oaks may have fallen into Talent's hands while the Ribblesdale strikes me as a moderate renewal.

Chicquita, as Euro says, is likely to be under-valued like so many French runners in these races but her trainer is as good as anyone and knows a good one when he has one, and Murtagh at the top of his game makes the other top jockeys look like apprentices.

Talent's Epsom performance was sound both in form and time terms and 3/1 or thereabouts seems perfectly fair to me.

It looks like Johnny Murtagh was right when he said yesterday the French 3yos have the edge on their British and Irish counterparts.

What a fine ride he gave Chicquita, by the way. He touched her once with the whip, if he'd actually hit her she might have ended up in the crowd.

Immense ride from Murtagh.

Hughes got some stick for his Oaks ride but I thought he settled Talent better than Crowley. Not sure the track and small field suited though.

I reckon Venus De Milo will end up the best of them.

Amazing that Hughes got stick for the Oaks ride, positioning there was the difference between victory and defeat.

The main reason Talent settled better at Epsom than the Curragh was the strong early gallop. The Curragh race was slowly run, hence why the finished in a heap.

The Epsom Oaks ride was fortunate. The filly pulled just as much at Epsom but she still finished like a train. She simply did not run her race at the Curragh.

It's a family of pullers. The grand dam Yawl was favourite for her Oaks but pulled Holland's arms out. If you ever saw a filly called Genoa run (she was Yawl's daughter) she had bags of ability but never settled.
Whether she ran her race is another matter though, as I agree when they settled the pace at the top of the hill in the Oaks she was pulling for her head.

Back