Irish Racing Post

First edition today....Jonathan Mullin is the editor (or will be in the next few weeks), Willie Mullins does a weekly column and further announcements in coming weeks.

There was mention that the Irish Investors now behind the Racing Post were the main drivers behind this addition.

This whole idea of an irish specific edition is madness - there is little enough content (cards & form aside) in the regular version, and extra Irish content would be more than welcomed by all into the regular paper.

Also, why are they assuming people living in Ireland and England are more interested in their 'own' racing? In my experience, racing is racing regardless of where it is taking place.

It will put them in direct competition with the Irish Field and might encourage analysis that is a little more critical. I presume they've done their marketting research and reckon there's a market for it.

Surely uk based racing fans would like the same access to news, columns, features etc?

I agree with Hamm, I would have thought that since the advent of ATR there is growing interest in the UK in Irish racing, and that the potential benefit of improved coverage of Irish racing is just as great in tha market as in Ireland.

I think they will pretty much get the majority of the news, features etc, but most likely for space reasons, more edited versions. It is no different to seeing all the Dailies that already produce Irish versions with 'local' news featuring more prominently. As far as I understand, the UK version will and has carried full spotlights etc like the new Irish version, but it's understandable given space constraints that this won't always be the case i.e busy Saturdays and Bank Holidays.

Have to say I disagree with Cantoris about more revenue means more profit means the value of the business going up. I think ploughing extra resources into print media is a waste of money. If the Post want to make the most of extra content, they are better off concentrating their efforts on digital media, as that is surely where the future lies, as ABC figures (including for the Post) are continuing to show.

Interestingly - for future reference - a big player in the Irish operation is a certain Ted Walsh Junior, brother of Ruby, son of Ted and sister of Jennifer who appears to have every job in Irish racing at the moment. Irish racing is absolutely superb at keeping things in the family!

What is it that Jennifer does, that she appears to have every job in Irish racing, Bobbyjo?

I think this is the difficulty, though, of British or Irish racing ever being represented in other than the tones we've already discussed: everyone's related to, or old school pals with, or works for, someone in the game. Whether it's breeders and consignors/agents, trainers, jockeys, presenters or writers - there's a fair degree of hand-holding throughout, so the chances of someone writing that their uncle's yard is full of rubbish horses, or their third cousin's riding skills are best suited to beach donkeys, is pretty much zero.

Jennifer is Ruby's agent, but has various other jobs within Irish racing - the recent edition of the Phoenix listed them all...

Interestingly - for future reference - a big player in the Irish operation is a certain Ted Walsh Junior, brother of Ruby, son of Ted and sister of Jennifer who appears to have every job in Irish racing at the moment. Irish racing is absolutely superb at keeping things in the family!

I think this is the difficulty, though, of British or Irish racing ever being represented in other than the tones we've already discussed: everyone's related to, or old school pals with, or works for, someone in the game. Whether it's breeders and consignors/agents, trainers, jockeys, presenters or writers - there's a fair degree of hand-holding throughout, so the chances of someone writing that their uncle's yard is full of rubbish horses, or their third cousin's riding skills are best suited to beach donkeys, is pretty much zero.

Spot on there lads.

Have to say I disagree with Cantoris about more revenue means more profit means the value of the business going up. I think ploughing extra resources into print media is a waste of money. If the Post want to make the most of extra content, they are better off concentrating their efforts on digital media, as that is surely where the future lies, as ABC figures (including for the Post) are continuing to show.
user_offline.gif

Print media still remains the shop window for Digital media

Some quotes from an article by Tom Segal in yesterday's RP:

QUALITY not quantity. That is the fundamental difference between Irish and British racing, and because all my betting is done in higher-class races it’s glaringly obvious why a good proportion takes place in Ireland these days...

... Irish racing is set up to accommodate the good horses, whereas British racing could be accused of being exactly the opposite...

...Four or five meetings a week, with good horses running at virtually every single one, suits my style perfectly. Furthermore, you have only to look down the roll of honour of nearly all the major races run in Europe since the start of the millennium to realise Ireland is the major force when it comes to horseracing. What Irish racing provides, in a nutshell, is racing of the highest quality in a manageable form. That, for me, is punting nirvana...

Not even Horse Racing Ireland would dare to be so positive. What's going on, do his new Irish bosses stand over him while he types this stuff? :lol:

Back