Irland & Ascot & Have A Guess!

GREAT pics, I envy you being there too.

Love the one of Hawk Wing. Really funny. And so many others ...... Flaggie really saw you coming with the polos the way he is running in from their paddock. :)

Absolutely fantastic set of pics Cat, do thank Landlark for taking them and many thanks to whichever of you - you! - who took the time to put them all up
:clap: :clap: :clap:

Aren't we lucky to have a sight a of these! The stud pics were indeed fascinating - strange to see Hurricane Run looking so scrubby, he looked truly magnificent last time I saw him [Champions Day at Nmkt].
HRE looks some horse doesn't he - the perfect racehorse really :what:

Sorry Peintre Celebre isn't doing so well any more - he's a grand looking type and was such a great racer.
Is it just fashion or what?

So many delights. But I just loved the McManus "Veterans' Team" all covered in mud! - what lucky horses to be bought by him. Wonder what they talk about together in the field... very moving to see them all in a herd like that, somehow

Excellent, Cat! :clap: A great, varied selection. I was up at Tattersalls today to watch the stallion parade and took a few photos but none as good as yours. :shy: I will download and post a few up later.

Crazyhorse did you see You'llneverwalkalone with the other MCManus horses ?

Thanks for putting these up.

Last year Crazy and Landlark brought me along with them to the Airlie Stud to visit Ela Mana Mou. He was an old but very proud and spirited old horse at that stage and his handlers are very fond of him.

I agree about the McManus "old warriors", it's touching to see them together and so well looked after.

Originally posted by Arkwright@Feb 7 2008, 01:11 PM
I was going to say Great Leighs as that's probably about as ready as it is.
They showed Great Leighs on the Anglia News tonight - it's *nearly* finished!
There was an inspection today and there's going to be another one at the end of the month...

Quite looking forward to the end of the saga now :rolleyes:

Fantastic shots there Crazyhorse. Thanks very much.

Hard to believe that Excellent Art and Oratorio are both on E25,000 for the forthcoming season really..

thank you all for the kind remarks; and by popular demand ;) I digged some more out (btw, sorry for all the spelling mistakes; I did not have the best of days yesterday and it surely showed in my typing!) :

two more of Manduro:

DSC_0222.jpg

DSC_0248.jpg

this is a crappy photo as the light conditions were so bad and our camera just couldn´t deal (or we weren´t able to set it proper), but is horse could be a bit special as it is Katmai, a half-sister to no other than Best Mate; in David Myerscoughs yard, and owned of course by his parents.

DSC_0308.jpg

another shot of Germany, a multiply Group I winner in Germany (where else?) and sire, among others of Conna Castle. Here he is taking the measure of Landlark:

DSC_0414.jpg

Court Masterpiece and his punching ball:

DSC_0528.jpg

it did forget to add High Chaparral, who is struggling big time at Coolmore, poor him. He was the only one with his winter coat, and seems to be on a really hot seat. This year is crucial for him, thats for sure. He doesn´t look as flashy as the others, but I was very impressed by his alert behavior and his bubbly personality. Landlark is never impressed anymore, he just takes photos were I dragg him to :P

DSC_0575.jpg

DSC_0591.jpg

this is a slightly nicer shot of Hurricane Run:

DSC_0604.jpg

this is Hawk Wing in full beauty - a bull of a horse, too much for me.

DSC_0618.jpg

a nice head shot of Ad Valorem:

DSC_0123.jpg

this is THURLES racecourse, the food mall:

DSC_0132-1.jpg

this is Central House!!!:

DSC_0260.jpg

and another shot of Hi Cloy(!!) to illustrate the difficult weather !:

DSC_0280.jpg

a shot to illustrate the nice hair-style of Spot Thedifference:

DSC_0131.jpg

and another one of me admiring Flagship:

DSC_0152.jpg

@ Gal: no we did not see "you". Many stallions were still in quarantene (is that how you spell it ), in fact we wanted to attend the Open Week, which was not staged this year due to the Bird Flue or whatever in Australia. Antonius Pius is not located on the main stud anymore, and we did not see Ivan Denisovic either. We did see, howver, Sadlers Wells, but he was just lead past and we did not want to bother them, and him. They are still trying to get about 40 mares to him.

I did check with my older photos and would say the chestnut with Flagship is not Elegant Lord. We saw him some time ago, and he has some white to him. Mr. MacManus horses are all over the place, and some are quite far away, in massive big fields, so well looked after. I did find, however, an older shot of Youlneverwalkalone, whom Jimmy is really fond of too. We did not see him htis time, though.

youlneverfullsize.jpg

last and least: This is former German Champion mare and multiple Group winner Salve Regina, a sister to Derby winners Samun and Schiaparelli (another expensive Godolphin recruit for Dubai, but unfortunatly already "out for seson") who happend to be boarded at our B&B place. I am in background on phone to KingKillone (on the forum, not the horse ;) who is the worlds biggest Salve Regina fan. BTW, Salve is heavily in foal to Pentre Celebré:

DSC_0025.jpg

Crazyhorse, you posted...

"i did forget to add High Chaparral, who is struggling big time at Coolmore, poor him. He was the only one with his winter coat, and seems to be on a really hot seat. This year is crucial for him, thats for sure."

In 2006 he covered 160 mares, and in 2007, 214 (more than Galileo!). So he seems to be popular enough, although the 160 coverings produced only 88 foals, a low percentage even allowing for dead or aborted foals.

I'm guessing she meant in terms of how his first crop did - just 2 wins from 55 runs. You wouldn't have expected his 2yos to be particularly precocious, but even still that's pretty poor. How they do as 3yos this season may define him.

I hadn't realised that, GF, they're terrible figures, even if he's not the sort likely to get precocious 2-y-os. He will have covered a classy book of mares in his first season.

That must have been what she intended.

He's the sort of horse I'd like to see do well, but if he does turn out to be a dud, it means he will have already sired around 400 foals in a few months time. Could be another example of the problems you get when breeders pile into an unproven stallion, however admirable his race record and pedigree.

Yes, thats exactly what I meant. I really really like the horse, he was a fantastic racehorse and one would not expect him to have precocious horses, but people everywhere been telling us how "dead" or "cold" he is, and as soon as Coolmore advertises a horse with some figures and no specific names you know they are in trouble. HC sure enough covered large books and will still do so, but as Gareth said, he might be quicker in their NH section or in India (or whereever) than we can look. One or two stallions at Coolmore were just back from Argentina, btw.

Its a shame; same with Peintre Celebré in a way, who, as one shrewd irish breeder put it, " is a fantastic horse for the owner-breeder, but not for the commercial breeder" . Its such a fickle business, and so many "trends" for sometimes no reasons whatsoever. Just imagine the sire of PRIDE struggeling for support, so to say....

Back