Is It Me?

Desert Orchid

Senior Jockey
Is it just me or does anyone else find the current batch of MFI TV ads somewhere between disturbing and offensive?

First we have a 'mother' waiting to ambush a girl with a torrent of shouting, then the girl shouting back. Even worse, the girl then smacks documents out of the hands of the MFI employee and we're told the stuff makes you 'feel at home'.

Then we have the oriental couple with one shouting at the other.

Then there's one with an Asian couple, one also getting on at the other.

Then one with a white couple having a go at each other while the bloke irons his trousers.

I'd be fascinated to know what percentage of families/households these represent. I reckon it's a small minority but ordinariness and harmony don't seem to make for 'interesting' TV.

Or maybe I'm just lucky.

I've never been a fan of MFI stuff but these ads make me want to avoid the place all the more.

Does this advert make you

a) More likely to buy products from MFI
b) Less likely to buy products from MFI
c) Remember that MFI stands for Made For Idiots

Does this advert

a) Make you talk about the MFI brand in a forum where you wouldn't usually.
b) Not a)

While I can see the sense in the saying 'Any publicity is good publicity' I don't see that as the case here.

Some ads have been own goals in the past but this lot paint a very depressing picture of life in Britain. I'm more inclined to think a 'feelgood' ad will sell better than a 'feelbad' ad.

We now hit the remore and change channels whenever this ad comes on.

I liked the look of that fold out ironing board - saves having to store something about 5ft long and unpacking it everytime you need to iron a shirt.

I agree, also the Yaris adverts which encourage revenge and damaging peoples property for the crime of touching the car in the wrong way are very offensve

Back