Istabraq, The Big Horse Painting

Diamond Geezer

Gone But Not Forgotten
Istabraq - Ireland's Favourite (The Big Horse Painting) will be formally unveiled by JP McManus and Istabraq on Tuesday 3 May, 2011 at Punchestown Festival in the parade ring at 2.45pm.

The painting will be exhibited at Punchestown Racecourse, County Kildare from 3rd to the 7th May. (All print winners will receive their limited edition print by post before June).

Nicola's idea to find Ireland's favourite racehorse and paint it on a massive canvas originated in 2006. The brainchild took four years to realise due to her diagnosis and subsequent treatment for breast cancer in 2007. With support from The Irish Field, Horse Racing Ireland and The Irish Times the artist spearheaded the innovative project at the Punchestown Festival in 2009 to find the nation's favourite race horse of the last 25 years.

Through a multi media campaign the people of Ireland voted in their thousands from a shortlist of six racehorses (including Dawn Run, Istabraq, Moscow Flyer, Danoli, Limestone Lad and Vintage Crop). The list was drawn up by a panel of industry experts including Ted Walsh, Leo Powell, Robert Hall and James Nicholson.

Nicola spent 18 months painting the outright winner - Istabraq on a massive canvas measuring 13ft by 10ft in her Belfast studio. No one will have seen the painting until it is unveiled at the Punchestown Festival in 2011.

Helluva story there, with the artist going through cancer before completing the painting, DG. I love that Isty will be there with JP to unveil it - will he pull a corner off the drapes with his nice big teeth? Plaudits all round - to horse, connections, and what sounds like a very brave artist.

Thanks for the link. It is a lovely painting - a modern day Whistlejacket. How good to see the wonderful Istabraq looking so fit and well too.

That's himself, all right! In retirement, of course, because that tum-tum would've been a bit much to have hurled over the hurdles. He looks a bit taken aback at the huge picture when he's asked to parade in front of it - "Jayz! I'm not takin' that bugger on!"

It would have been hilarious if he had put two back hooves through it when spooked by the cameras!!

I love it - proportionately I'd have said his head is a bit small,but there would be no objections if it arrived on my doorstep (though god knows where I'd put it!!!)

Back