Jamie Spencer?

Colin Phillips

At the Start
Is it me, or has Jamie taken on a new persona this year?

He seems to have matured and doesn't insist in dropping just about every horse out the back.

In fact I don't think I have seen a 'hallmark Spencer ride' this year.

I have been a consistent condemner of the man in the past and it would be nice if I had to change my opinion.

Has anyone else noticed or am I getting soft in my dotage?

I have always liked Spencer as an individual but the "typical Jamie Spencer ride" was always infuriating. Sometimes people try to live up to their reputation, maybe Paul Carberry is another example, then they realise their mistakes through maturity or someone having a word and slowly but surely they begin to realise their undoubted potential. I believe Spencer could be maturing into a consistently top class jockey. Like Carberry, he may re-lapse from time to time but that only shows them as being as vulnerably human as the rest of us!!

I've always been a Spencer fan, too, and have been dismayed by the years of vicious anti-Jamie postings.

He had the thing anchored way way out the back, it was never going to get near the leaders from there. Plenty of the other high drawn horses weren't held up to the same extremes Spencer held his mount up to. EW backers had a coup that he got fourth.

Last edited:
Did Jamie just move across to prevent that horse going past?

Not easy to see from the RUK pictures but I have the feeling, he looked at the challenging horse just before the incident, that he did.

If he did he should be ashamed of himself.

Did Jamie just move across to prevent that horse going past?

Not easy to see from the RUK pictures but I have the feeling, he looked at the challenging horse just before the incident, that he did.

If he did he should be ashamed of himself.

Haven't seen the race but is that not race-riding Colin?

The horse almost came down and havoc was created behind.

I know what your saying OTB but there's race-riding and dangerous riding and if he did move out from the rail well then I would definitely say it was in the second category.

I feel sure that the other jocks will know and a natural justice might be the outcome.

As a persistent Jamie Spencer critic for a good number of years now (I once even confronted him over a ride at Nottingham once which one ex-forumite witnessed which was beyond desperate and RUK ridiculed him for it too), I must say I think he's been riding a lot lot better this year.

I was looking through tomorrow's Thirsk card and half fancied My Single Malt in the 7.30 if the price was right and I even considered the jockey booking of Spencer a positive which must be the first time I've ever done that in my life.

Apparently there was a nice interview with him in the RP today but not seen it myself.

Don't bother, it's excruciating. He opens up to Lee Mottershed about his infidelity!

Don't bother, it's excruciating. He opens up to Lee Mottershed about his infidelity!

That's a bit harsh. It's his personal life. You have no business knowing it. Lee, like David Frost, asked Spencer, like Nixon, the obvious question everyone wanted to know. Did you or he expect an answer?

I thought the rest of the article was interesting up to that point.

so come on, how's your love life?

Have you been drinking? I don't want to know it. I read the article expecting to read about Spencer the jockey, and maybe some light hearted stuff about his interests outside racing. I thought it excruciating to read about his love life the way it was written, and said so. I really don't understand your problem ...

Last edited:
There is a person under the helmet you know Hamm. I found the article gave a deep insight to Spencer's deep seeded hatred of women. Had Lee had delvead deeper I bet we would have found a harsh sister or mother is behind it all.

There is a person under the helmet you know Hamm. I found the article gave a deep insight to Spencer's deep seeded hatred of women. Had Lee had delvead deeper I bet we would have found a harsh sister or mother is behind it all.
:lol:

That's fine. Surely I am entitled to say I find it cringeworthy to read he won't open up to his friends but will to Lee Mottershed?!!

Maybe Cantoris is just struggling to fill a syndicate? :ninja:

Hamm, you are more than entitled to your opinion but do you not just think that he is opening up to the trade paper to make his ex wife look bad and clear the air and baggage for the next big job that is within his finger tips? I am certain the softly softly quotes about Aiden O'Brien and their relationship were in no way effected by the rides he is having from the yard lately! No doubt should he ever write an autobiography after he retires he will spin a different tail on the subject. This is simply a jockey using the Racing Post to paint the picture of him he wants painted for his benefit.

Hamm, you are more than entitled to your opinion but do you not just think that he is opening up to the trade paper to make his ex wife look bad and clear the air and baggage for the next big job that is within his finger tips? I am certain the softly softly quotes about Aiden O'Brien and their relationship were in no way effected by the rides he is having from the yard lately! No doubt should he ever write an autobiography after he retires he will spin a different tail on the subject. This is simply a jockey using the Racing Post to paint the picture of him he wants painted for his benefit.

Did I read it wrong, but wasn't he saying it was all his mistakes, what he regretted and it seemed to paint him as the guy who had made an error and didn't seem to say too much bad (if anything) about her?

Back