Jockeyship

Honest Tom :lol: :lol: :lol:

Now i know George really well and yes he is a good under rated jockey but nearest thing to Frankie steady on!

Although i dont follow flat racing much, i think McEVoy did quite well, i was impressed with him last yr. It cant b easy for a new jockey at new surrounding at new courses, i thought he did well and is a good prospect. Mercer has also caight every1's attention with the amount of winners he's riding. Think, its good time to have him on your sides, especially with his generous claim.

I don't have a favourite jockey although there are one or two around whom I would think twice about backing even if I really fancied the horse. Aspell being one who springs to mind.

I suppose it comes down to the jockeys who rarely lose a race that they should have won, and at the same time nick a few that they shouldn't have. I too thought that AP rode a superb race on Redemption yesterday. He made up the horse's mind without asking him any hard questions. Walsh seems better than ever this season. Geraghty seems a bit too cocky for my liking. Carberry is good but only has to ride part time over there. Murphy occasionally loses one that he should have won but he nicks a few too. Culloty and Fehily are OK in my book. Johnson is very solid.

But if I had to pick a jockey to ride a horse to save my life then I'd go for AP.

The best new flat apprentice is a good little mate Adam Kirby who has been riding out for various trainers like J Fanshawe, M Wigham and Gay Kelleway since he was 12 and is now 16 and has already had 3 winners in about 20 rides look out for him and remember you heard it here first. ;)

Any of the Irish lads know much about Tom Ryan....ok he was on a sure thing but liked the ride he gave the winner in the opener at Naas today.

fudge, if GB was given the rides his ability deserves he'd be up there with the best. Frankie excepted, I've yet to see anyone who can settle a horse better than him. He even manages it on most of the 66/1 rags he's riding.

I'm not getting carried away on the back of a big priced GB winner here. Regulars on the forum will confirm I first voiced this opinion when he was a 7lb claimer.

(Notice the lack of emoticon)

Try this one:

book.jpg

Slagging of so called "bridle jockeys" tends to come from people who cant see the horse is already tired before the rider has asked it a visible-to-tv-viewer question.

For what its worth I like, murphy and walsh who in particular is immense at settling really strong ones without apparent effort.

I think Mick Fitz probs started maybe 2 or 3 years ago from a bad shoulder injury. He began to really struggle with holding strong ones.

Of the 'top' jockeys I think R. Johnson is vastly overrated, and tactically dense.

Ability to push one along for 3miles shouldnt be due heaps of amazed praise, and in no way should win a 'ride of the season' award that they always seem to. If it needs pushing all the way, push it all the way, its what you are there for, and if its the only thing a jockey can do in a particular race due to the horse in question being slow then so be it, he hasnt even had to make a decision. Why these rides get so praised is beyond me. Even the simplest," held up, led 2 out , pushed out" ranks higher !

Originally posted by Honest Tom@Jan 3 2005, 12:08 PM
I'm not getting carried away on the back of a big priced GB winner here. Regulars on the forum will confirm I first voiced this opinion when he was a 7lb claimer.
I can't say I've seen him riding recently as I try to ignore the dross on the flat if I can, but George was certainly very talented as a 7lb claimer, a nice lad & a hard worker as well. He used to get a lift in our lorry to the races when he was riding & was always polite & friendly - we were chatting one day on the way to Wolves when I discovered that a lad I'd gone out with a few years earlier was his cousin! Small world....

Adam Kirby just ridden a double today and excellently ridden. ;)

And yes SL i know the whole family really well as Louis dad is the blacksmith at Roger Charltons and Louis used to ride out then help his old man also. ;)

Bloody hell, I can't go anywhere..... :lol:

Actually, it was nearly 10 years ago I went out with Louis - back in the days when we were both doign Arab racing.

Btw - cheers for the 2 winners today, fudge! :D

Couldn't agree more with your analyses of the Whitely & Massey jockey ratings RHIG, although I'd say your own weren't free of bias (if you had a derby horse you wouldn't really choose Alex Greaves over K. Felon would you?). Good to see both Frankie & GB figuring highly and no surprise to see Ryan Moore up there as well.

Some excellent stuff over and above that on the site including - a sublime article on the bagsification of racing, one on the anti-christ, one on the other anti-christ and a picture of the lovely Natalia thrown in.

It's brilliant over there, and is a perfect example of the fine line between genius and madness.

Don't whatever you do make the same mistake as I and vote for Fallon over Richard Hills...

Back