Jumps/Flat betting ratio

Euronymous

Senior Jockey
In one of his brilliant betting books Alan Potts wrote that he liked the flat for the betting and the jumps for the sport.

A good judge in Malcolm Heyhoe has also said in the past that his betting ratio would be 60%/40% flat to jumps - and this used to be mine as well. But I think nowadays with the Open meeting getting better and better every year and Irish racing being more accessible to us Brits that things are changing.

I certainly see myself having maybe as many bets this winter as I did in the summer.

Views?

99.9% Flat and 0.01% Jumps. I wouldn't have a prayer of making money from jumps racing and I'm not sure how people do to be honest.

The statistical analysis of flat racing is what gets me going for the sport and it's much trickier with the jumps.

Love both - bet primarily on the flat - 80% flat at least - find it easier to read flat races and make stronger decisions and more decisive bets! Keep to the bigger meetings and graded races in NH. Seem to able to figure out a 47 - 65 flat better than the equivalent low grade over jumps. There seems to be a lot more trainers I've no handle on over jumps too. Also ground conditions (a monstrous factor in my book) seem more straightforward and accurately described on the flat - the addition of all weather especially Dundalk has also helped here.

Last edited:
In all seriousness, I've just checked my records for 2010 and 0.5% of my horse racing betting turnover has been on jumps racing (the odd Cheltenham bet and backing a live one we get at work) and 99.5% on flat racing!

It's a horse race all the same and the same rules apply, find the winner. I have no issue bettin.g on either. If you can't get excited about the 4.05 in Cheltenham tomorrow than what's the point of being alive.

I don't see why either code is inherently less suitable as a betting medium than the other. The Fs, Us and BDs of jump racing are matched by the luck in running, unforeseen draw bias and jockey error of flat racing.

That's a good point Grey. Punters seem to remember being unlucky fallers and forget the loser on the flat that ran into a wall of horses.

80/20 in favour of the jumps, seem to be in the minority!

Tend to stick to the pattern races on the flat, but will bet on almost any jump racing. That's not to say I'm successful at all jump racing, though novice chases are probably my best medium.

Agree with Gearoid re 4.05 at Chelters tomorrow, epitome of what it's all about for me. FWIW I fancy Reve de Sivola to upset Time For Rupert.

I like both codes and I bet on both codes as well. It really depends how much I like the price of the horse. I can happily watch good racing without a bet a prime example would be the last at Chelters tomorrow, i think the betting game is all about backing the value.

Benny, Reve is very positive in the market tonight. I took some 10/3. I think novice chases are the equivalant of 2yo races. Sometimes in either a horse can be miles better than the opposition and if you follow it you get into tune with it.

For me it is like comparing the Olympics with the Krypton factor.

Flat is racing. Fastest horse between A and B.

Jumps is just a gimmicky obstacle course. Sticky mud and artificial barriers.

Don't get me wrong, I'll bet on both of them. But just like the Olympics and Krypton factor; it is the stakes that are different.

For me it is like comparing the Olympics with the Krypton factor.

Flat is racing. Fastest horse between A and B.

Jumps is just a gimmicky obstacle course. Sticky mud and artificial barriers.

Don't get me wrong, I'll bet on both of them. But just like the Olympics and Krypton factor; it is the stakes that are different.

Get in line with the rest of the mincers, BM!

Flat racing is for people with short attention spans :)

To tie in with the rate your workers thread - some prefer blondes some prefer brunettes and some even prefer females!! I would love to find out the stats from the big high street / on line chains no1) Winning margin flat v NH 2) Winning margin shops V telebetting V Online. Me thinks it would be very interesting!!:whistle:

Back