Jumps Season Previews, Stable Visits, Horses To Follow 2016/2017

Some news from the Colin Tizzard open day

• Third Intention and Theatre Guide due to have Wind ops
  • Native River has an early target of the Hennessy
  • They have a half brother to Thistlecrack - West Approach
    [FONT=open_sans]"This could be anything – he was a small horse but he's grown and is now progressing. He won his novice hurdle at Newton Abbot in May, so he's a novice for the entire season and he'll go down the World Hurdle route like his relative."[/FONT]
  • Robinsfirth back from injury and will go chasing
  • [FONT=open_sans]Tizzard said: "Cue Card is a dream horse. He's been back in since June 1 and came in looking fantastic. He was a good horse when he started with us as a three-year-old and he's been a good horse ever since." He's 10 now.[/FONT]
  • [FONT=open_sans]"Thistlecrack was absolutely brilliant last season – a marvellous creature. We'll start this season with a couple of novice chases as soon as the ground is right. He'll be ready by the end of October as long as the rains come.[/FONT][FONT=open_sans]"If he's not as good at chasing as he is over hurdles, we'll switch him back to hurdles." The reigning Ryanair World Hurdle king is 3-1 to retain the crown if reverting to the smaller obstacles.

[/FONT]

Last edited:
Not really sure where to put this but has a relevance here I guess

Uxizandre will be back in training in about a month

Dan Skelton video tour

https://vimeo.com/181049192

• Superb Story - may need to go left handed. International possible target
  • Ch'tibello - Wants decent ground, may start hurdling. Might run in the Elite
  • Three Musketeers - Old Roan then step up to 3 miles
  • Al Ferof - Peterborough Chase - could be retired if he won that
  • Mister Miyagi - Decent ground wanted, go to that listed hurdle race at Kempton. Relkeel hurdle maybe. Chasing next term. Aintree hurdle in the spring
  • North Hill Harvey - need another year over hurdles probably, over the top at Aintree last season. May not stay beyond 2 miles. Career is over fences
  • Blue Heron - Had year off - as soon as it rains he will be out. Will avoid heavy ground. Novice chasing
  • Kasakh Noir - Chaser in the making. Needs year over hurdles. Handicap hurdle route, maybe the elite

I reckon we've not seen the best of North Hill Harvey yet, and he looks potentially well-handicapped off around 140 to start the season. I'd give him a quiet campaign and look to protect his mark for the Betfair Hurdle.

Paul Ferguson has produced an interesting stat that 8 of last years Festival winners, ran during October last year with the Supreme and Gold cup winner running twice

Paul Ferguson has produced an interesting stat that 8 of last years Festival winners, ran during October last year with the Supreme and Gold cup winner running twice

So 8/28 (28.57%) of festival winners ran during October, probably meaning they made their seasonal debut in October.

I don't think it's unfair to suggest that we'd expect the winners in March to have made their debut between October and Mid Jan, which is a period of 3.5 months so the chance of a horse having made it's debut in October is 100/3.5 which by my (admittedly hungover) reckoning is erm... 28.57%

Nice of him to go to the trouble though :)

We've been told that Mullins gets his Festival fancies out from mid-October onwards. The seasonal debut for his winners last season is interesting:
12/11 VVM
21/11 Vautour
22/11 Douvan
6/12 Yorkhill
14/12 Black Hercules
30/1 Limini
17/2 Annie Power

He has such firepower he doesn't need to start them out too early.

He usually starts the Irish championship slow enough then picks them off as the better graded races come along

Many of them will also have been on the go until Punchestown so, almost by default, they won't come back in until July.

So 8/28 (28.57%) of festival winners ran during October, probably meaning they made their seasonal debut in October.

I don't think it's unfair to suggest that we'd expect the winners in March to have made their debut between October and Mid Jan, which is a period of 3.5 months so the chance of a horse having made it's debut in October is 100/3.5 which by my (admittedly hungover) reckoning is erm... 28.57%

Nice of him to go to the trouble though :)

Haha pretty much Wilson, was scratching my head when so much was being made of this last week. It's rain dependent anyway, if the rains held off until November we wouldn't see them until then.

From what I remember of Chepstow last year I didn't watch it thinking these were the stars. Yes we had Altior but really a lot of trainers were gearing towards the Paddy Power meeting.

Was having a read of that DG. So many trainers talking about having young strings this year there could be some good novice hurdle form and the novice chases should be decent too.

I hope someone can take on Mullins. He's taken the jumps game to another level and well done to him for doing so but we've got to see some competition. It grates how all the chat emanating from bookies and sections of punters for months on end are about his.

Back