Juvenile Hurdlers 2014/2015

It's weighing up what Beltor's form is worth that's the problem and why he's so big in the market.

Arabian Revolution is a 7lbs better off with Beltor for 2 1/2 lengths but John Feguson's horse looks like going for an easier race.

Nicky Henderson's horse ran even worse than he ran at Cheltenham when he was 3rd and All Yours was 2nd.

All Yours won a mickey mouse race prior to Kempton and the horse that finished 2nd to him was 8/8 beaten 54 lengths the other day.

Beltor could be anything but he went off at 16/1 in his first hurdles race then won what might tun out to be a very ordinary race if All Yours is no better than a nice horse.

The Triumph is a million miles from what he SEEMS to have achieved and this is a massive jump up in class for him

If he was trained by Nicky Henderson there's he maybe would be shorter but there's just as much chance he would be thought not good enough to run in the race.

Hopefully this year's batch will prove better than last year's.

Other than a couple of minor wins last summer for Plinth (last in the 2014 Triumph) the other fifteen runners record in open hurdles since the start of this season stands at 0/24.

Last edited:
Hopefully this year's batch will prove better than last year's.

Other than a couple of minor wins last summer for Plinth (last in the 2014 Triumph) the other fifteen runners record in open hurdles since the start of this season stands at 0/24.

That's quite a stat.

It's looking like the Irish juveniles are some way behind the UK ones this year. Gubbed out of sight in both the FW and the Triumph. Food for thought for Aintree and Punchestown.

Last edited:
It's looking like the Irish juveniles are some way behind the UK ones this year. Gubbed out of sight in both the FW and the Triumph. Food for thought for Aintree and Punchestown.

Yes Ted Walsh made the point before the race that on the FW the Irish juveniles had no chance - nor did Beltor ridden like that ! Have to wonder whether Hargam might have done them for toe before the rain

I'm looking beyond that DO.....I love Faugheen to bits but since day1 they've said P & C could be a future Champion Hurdle horse.

He's got along way to go and maybe he never will beat Faugheen but at least he's potentially a danger and should make for an interesting race if he goes the right way.

Yes Ted Walsh made the point before the race that on the FW the Irish juveniles had no chance - nor did Beltor ridden like that ! Have to wonder whether Hargam might have done them for toe before the rain

Would certainly have done better but it's only by coincidence the winner has run 3 times on soft BG said he thinks he might be even better on good ground.

The second probably liked it more than his other 2

I know this will seem pretty harsh and definitely unfair since he won his race, but does Peace and Co remind anyone else of Harchibald?

His running style, his slightly odd head carriage, the way he travelled on the bridle, and the fact he found a lot less than the visual impression he was giving up the hill, we're all reminiscent of Harchibald to my eye.

The anomaly I have is that the big ratings I had for Petite Parisienne and Kalkir were based on a very favourable time comparison with Sort It Out's race on the same card.

I could have understood their running so badly if Sort It Out had run badly but the Irish handicap hurdlers have been giving ours a doing all week.

I know, and I kind of don't want it to be.

It's a visual thing about how he went through his race, and don't forget Harchibald was top class in his own right.

Clearly has bags of pace. I could see him running all over Faugheen, but when it comes to the crunch would have my doubts.

We might just be overrating Faugheen Frankel. It's a new era and of the new era he has only beaten Arctic Fire.

I still believe Jezki was winner of a poor Champion Hurdle and if I am correct Faugheen hasn't exactly set the world on fire.

While it's unlikely Douvan will be kept hurdling he has every bit as much pace about him as Faugheen and in my book will outdo anything he does or Vautour for that matter.

As far as Peace and Co goes no doubt NJH will be thinking Champion Hurdle but he's got a lotta pounds to find and has to go the right way.

If he does progress then Faugheen will have one helluva horse to contend with.

You could say he's only beaten his stable companion but throughout the race Barry Geraghty has ridden him to be where he wanted to be.

In the end he's beaten what he had to beat and it was never in doubt he would. I'm pretty sure had something else been a few lengths in front then
he'd have been a few lengths closer and still produced the goods.

Long way to go but this horse looks a bigger danger to him than the likes of Arctic Fire or anything else that ran this year.

Windsor Park is a very class horse I don't know what the plan for him. L'ami Serge could bounce back at Aintree

Right now it looks a foregone conclusion Faugheen will win another Champion Hurdle but a years along time.

If by any chance WMP keeps Douvan over hurdle and he cleans up in Ireland while Faugheen takes on the Brits we could be having another which one will Ruby ride saga :0)

I'm in the camp of not getting carried away by Faugheen Tanlic. Hence the P&C comment. Though clearly will need natural progression to be a threat to Faugheen who was impressive.
I'm sure most will disagree but I can see Arctic Fire with faster early fractions being a threat next year. Also glad to hear Mullins think there is more to come. Clearly Faugheen falls in to that bracket too.

Yes more than likely Douvan will go chasing.

As for Windsor Park, talk of him being run on the flat also. Ultimately I see him coming back and winning the World Hurdle. Looks to have a great blend of speed and stamina.

Last edited:
No doubt in my mind that Ruby rode the others to sleep in the Champion Hurdle.

If he'd gone any slower a gallop he would have stopped, his biggest asset is not how fast he can go it's how fast he can change pace.

McCoy, Townend, STD and Danny Mullis sat there looking at each other like a bunch of 10lb claimers while Ruby turned the race into a sprint.

McCoy and Harrington don't deserve any brownie points as there the ones who claimed a stiffer test would suit.

It really was a ridiculously slow pace for a Champion Hurdle and only emphasis what I said about horses who can inject pace and decrease pace in an instant.

Not one horse bar Faugheen was going a pace where they were totally happy and they did nothing about it

Damn pity they're in the same ownership because he simply wouldn't get away with those tactics or any others for that matter against Douvan..

I actually thought Douvan might be another Dunguib but not a bit of it. If he stays hurdling he'll win the Champion Hurdle if he does go chasing he'll win the Arkle.

I would have him right up there with the best novices I've ever seen

D K Weld would love to win the Champion Hurdle of all the Festival races.
I imagine he was the inspiration to Smurfits sponsoring the CH; his father Charlie has a runner up in Farney Fox in 1960, a horse that ran in a Washington DC International after (finished fourth).
If Windsor Park is up to it he runs in it for sure , flat or no flat .

D K Weld would love to win the Champion Hurdle of all the Festival races.
I imagine he was the inspiration to Smurfits sponsoring the CH; his father Charlie has a runner up in Farney Fox in 1960, a horse that ran in a Washington DC International after (finished fourth).
If Windsor Park is up to it he runs in it for sure , flat or no flat .

Think this fella is in the mould of Rite Of Passage. He too was being potentially lined up for a crack at the World Hurdle one year.
Not sure if they couldn't get him ready in time or thought better of it.
I really doubt he would have enough gears for a Champion, but think the Stayers would be right up his street.

Last edited:
Back