Kate Bush

Didn't like her early stuff - squeaky & pretentious.

I've got Hounds Of Love which, for me, contains most of her best stuff. I gather that the concert concentrated on this later period which was probably wise given the vocal range required on earlier songs.

Just like punk and the Smiths, grossly overrated because it was the growing up music of the chattering classes of today.

Didn't like her early stuff - squeaky & pretentious.

I've got Hounds Of Love which, for me, contains most of her best stuff. I gather that the concert concentrated on this later period which was probably wise given the vocal range required on earlier songs.

Just like punk and the Smiths, grossly overrated because it was the growing up music of the chattering classes of today.

Certainly agree with last bit. I was very close to the punk scene when it started because it was right on my doorstep in west London . Right age too. Frankly it was time and place and basically mostly rubbish. Saw a lot of the supposedly famous bands live usually small venues an they were invariably poor . I (Stranglers excepted). In fairness it was the buzz of something different and a bit underground but 2 years later it wasn't different at all

I was a soul boy at heart though

Last edited:
Certainly agree with last bit. I was very close to the punk scene when it started because it was right on my doorstep in west London . Right age too. Frankly it was time and place and basically mostly rubbish. Saw a lot of the supposedly famous bands live usually small venues an they were invariably poor . I (Stranglers excepted). In fairness it was the buzz of something different and a bit underground but 2 years later it wasn't different at all

I was a soul boy at heart though

punk was musically lacking..but what energy it had..great energy

punk was musically lacking..but what energy it had..great energy

It was a middle class art school thing mostly though . Alsmot entirely really

The working class lads in London were all into soul . Ronnie Vincent on radio London, Lyceum etc. very big scene

I watched the documentaries twice as well; often do that with the BBC4 music ones [in fact I'm going to watch the Blondie one that's one tonight at 12 as I fell asleep when it was on the other night and I don't recall seeing it before;it's about the making of Parallel Lines]. Got chatting to someone when I was watching a game of cricket last week who had been at Glastonbury and she said Blondie were excellent, and told me about the drummer being behind a screen because of Debbies tinnitus [I wouldn't have noticed that if she hadn't said]. Her husband said he'd been listening to 50 Words for Snow and couldn't praise it enough; I didn't buy it as I was disappointed with Aerial. I hadn't realised that Wuthering Heights was the first time a woman had topped the charts with a song she'd written herself. My gut feeling is that she's doing these concerts to kick start Berties career.

Back