Kauto Star & Denman

From his review of the Lexus:

"I concede that it's impossible to say what would have happened if the THE LISTENER (29) had gone on and set the sort of pace he normally does in the Lexus. But my gut feel from watching the way Paul Nicholls' charge tired on the run in is that Denman would have been toast from before the last and finished no better than third."

No half measures are there?

If The Listener had gone out and made it a strong gallop I think it would have suited Denman perfectly and he would have won the race more easily. Fast accurate jumping and the ability to run the legs off his rivals is what Denman does best, it's never crossed my mind once that stamina would be an issue with him. It didn't look to me like he was tiring on the run in, he always looked in control of the race and he won it comfortably from where I was sitting.

I'm sure stamina won't be Denman's undoing in the Gold Cup it will be his stablemate's superior ability that will get him beat.

I personally think Denman will get the distance, easily to be honest.

The course at Cheltenham with the uphill finish, some of the more tricky fences and the stiff track would usually need stamina and speed, with more application for stamina in my opinion.

Denman has shown that he has great stamina and also has a tidy turn of foot when needed. The only thing i would say is that he seems to take a few strides to get going, which would suggest that the jockey may need to just get him going a bit earlier than other horses.

He has shown he goes in heavy ground which is stamina testing, and i would imagine the ground at Cheltenham will be good to soft which should also help the horse.

Dont see any excuses personally.

Originally posted by harry@Jan 6 2008, 01:00 AM
just think that Denman won't be there on Gold Cup day-just a hunch
Yeah, my thoughts to Harry (not Findlay by any chance :laughing: ).

Personally I just feel that he won't be there as theres the small matter of £1 million squid up for grabs should Kauto win.That may sound hollow & come across as a stupid idea but think about it.If you had the chance to win a million & also the MAIN thing that would stop you winning it what would you do?

And also why not keep the horse fresh for Aintree & mop up a big prize there.

Originally posted by rorydelargy@Jan 6 2008, 04:35 PM
What a load of bollocks.
Rory, can you make your postings more clear?

Is that your you or you quoting Harry?

Clive Smith has a chance of winning a million. Given that he's worth many millions and has already won a million courtesy of Kauto Star it seems rather churlish to suggest that he would pay off another owner in the yard to increase his chances. It seems even more ridiculous when you know how sporting Mr Smith is. It doesn't even need to be mentioned that winning a Gold Cup would be worth innumerable millions to Paul Barber, not to mention Harry.

Originally posted by rorydelargy@Jan 6 2008, 05:03 PM
Clive Smith has a chance of winning a million. Given that he's worth many millions and has already won a million courtesy of Kauto Star it seems rather churlish to suggest that he would pay off another owner in the yard to increase his chances. It seems even more ridiculous when you know how sporting Mr Smith is. It doesn't even need to be mentioned that winning a Gold Cup would be worth innumerable millions to Paul Barber, not to mention Harry.
Yes,it does sound churlish or as I said in my message,hollow, but I wasn't suggesting that he would 'pay off' anybody.

It may turn out to be a load of bollocks,only time will tell.Everybody is entitled to their opinion.

Of course it's bollocks. If Denman is sound and well there is no way he'll miss the Gold Cup and most definitely not so that Clive Smith can pocket another million quid.

As for Nick Mordin - I see the man is talking out of his arse again. Of all horses not to get the trip, Denman?!?! That's even more impressive than his bollocks assertions that George Washington was slow, just before he walked the Guineas and more! The bloke is an utter clown who seems to feel the need to come out with utter bullshit every now and then, maybe it's the only way he can get some publicity?

I'm sure both sets of owners of these fantastic horses are looking forward the showdown as much as the rest of us. Racing is about *racing* the horses - and historically, the "match" was always the most romantic and exciting form of racing, and rich owners revelled in it.

Originally posted by Gaz's Way De Solzen@Jan 6 2008, 01:00 PM

He has shown he goes in heavy ground which is stamina testing, and i would imagine the ground at Cheltenham will be good to soft which should also help the horse.

Can I borrow your crystal ball, or is it seaweed?
Hang on, I bet you know the man who turns the water on!

Originally posted by Headstrong@Jan 7 2008, 12:43 AM
I'm sure both sets of owners of these fantastic horses are looking forward the showdown as much as the rest of us. Racing is about *racing* the horses - and historically, the "match" was always the most romantic and exciting form of racing, and rich owners revelled in it.
Tend to agree with you there. Both owners come across as extremely sporting people, Mr Smith more refined than Mr Findlay perhaps, but neither would shirk a scrap.
My personal opinion, for what it's worth, is that Kauto Star is extra special, he certainly has another gear; Denman I see as a relentless galloper, probably more suited to a flatter track.
I just want to see them both run their race and come back safe, and that goes for all the other horses in the race too.

Would there be more excitement if one of the front two was trained in Ireland? It would have been the Mill House / Arkle situation. If Denman was trained anywhere else, you would think that connections would be leaving no stone unturned to expose any Kauto Star weakness. I suppose Nicholls will just want a good clean race.

By PA Sport Staff

Ruby Walsh has confirmed he will ride Kauto Star in next month's totesport Cheltenham Gold Cup.

The rider had the choice of last year's Cheltenham hero or stablemate Denman, winner of the Hennessy and Lexus Chase for trainer Paul Nicholls.

Walsh described the decision as "huge" but added: "At the end of the day, how do you get off a Gold Cup winner?"

The rider's decision to stick with Kauto Star leaves Sam Thomas free to resume his partnership with Denman and he will be aboard when the eight-year-old has has prep outing in Saturday's Aon Chase.

Nicholls told the Racing Post: "Everyone knows it would be very difficult for Ruby not to ride Kauto Star again in this year's Gold Cup.

"Paul Barber and Harry Findlay, joint-owners of Denman, had a chat yesterday and agreed it would be better to make a decision now regarding Denman which would mean Sam could ride the horse at Newbury on Saturday as well as Cheltenham.

"However, should anything happen to Kauto Star, God forbid, between now and Gold Cup day, Ruby, as my stable jockey, would switch to Denman."

The million bonus is the key for the decision.

Even though Ruby choosing KS , I dont know why he is not riding Denman in the Aon.

Originally posted by sunybay@Feb 5 2008, 10:54 AM
The million bonus is the key for the decision.

Even though Ruby choosing KS , I dont know why he is not riding Denman in the Aon.
I don't think the bonus really made a difference here ~ it's also eminently sensible for Sam Thomas to ride Denman if he is to be the horse's big race partner. There is such a thing as a relationship between rider and horse.

Back