Kauto Star

Homer J

At the Start
xxx

KAUTO INJURY SCARE

by Racing Post staff

PAUL NICHOLLS reveals Kauto Star has sprained a fetlock. The horse has not beenruled out of the Gold Cup. The trainer will issue a further fitness bulletin Sunday morning.

Now where's Dom when you need her :D

Is there anyone who can explain to an equine ignoramus like myself just what a "sprained fetlock" normally means please. Personally I need him to turn up

Originally posted by Warbler@Feb 16 2008, 06:53 PM
Now where's Dom when you need her :D

Is there anyone who can explain to an equine ignoramus like myself just what a "sprained fetlock" normally means please. Personally I need him to turn up
chris told me its like a sprained ankle to a human

Three and a half weeks. :rolleyes: Alright you can recover in that time just about, but how much work he's going to miss etc? Wouldn't fancy it myself, there's no hiding place at the very apex of the sport, although Kicking King did of course win a GC off an interupted prep. Clive Smith is a sportsman though and I'm sure will want to run if he thinks the horse is up to it. And there's always a £1M and an order of merit to consider if it becomes a marginal call shrug::

Wait and see I guess, but my instinct wouldn't be an optimistic

C4 says

KAUTO STAR'S bid for a second Cheltenham Gold Cup success was the subject of an injury scare on Saturday night after he was found to be lame behind following an impressive success at Ascot.
However trainer Paul Nicholls was not ruling his brilliant chaser out of the Gold Cup and will know more after Clive Smith's superstar is examined again by his vet Buffy Shirley-Bevan on Sunday morniig.

he isn't a magician or got special healing powers though has he?

even if the horse is better for Cheltenham ..how much work will he miss?

we will then not get the head to head we want as if KS performs below par as he most probably will ..the injury will be the reason

i'm a realist...not a dreamer...we have been unfortunate not to see the greatest clash for many a year....might as well come to terms with reality now.

If it's an infection in the foot he may miss no more than a few day's exercise. Bear in mind that he'd more than likely have tomorrow and probably Monday off anyway after his run and he may miss no more than a day or two.

An infected foot can clear up very quickly if the abscess is found and dug out so the pus can drain.

Even a sprained fetlock ordinarily shouldn't be too bad. I'd say talk that he is out of the Gold Cup is far, far too premature.

Originally posted by EC1@Feb 16 2008, 08:15 PM
he isn't a magician or got special healing powers though has he?

Ah... but with a name like that, his vet most certainly has :D

The only people that can actually tell you what the problem is will be nicholls and the vet. An infection or a sprained ankle can be of varying degrees. Lets not jump the gun. It certainly won't help but an infection is not a problem, a sprain depends on how bad it is. Lets wait and see what the vets say. and it will be more apparent in the morning than it is now. They will no doubt apply a poultice and hope for the best in the morning. Fingers crossed but we really wont know until tomorrow.

:D Warbler

I'll join you all in hoping for the best then...i can't see it but it will be a major loss for the festival if we don't see the big two meet...fingers crossed then

I spoke to Harry Findlay a few minutes ago to see if he knew any more than the rest of us. It is apparently an infection rather than a sprain and he mentioned a week on the easy list. I don't think that three or four days of missed work would stop KS running to form in the big one (remember Kicking King allegedly missed ten days closer to the Festival a few years ago). In saying all that, I'm not convinced that Harry is getting information quicker than the press on this, such is Paul Nicholls' relationship with the media.

I took 5.2 on Betfair as soon as I read the report on the RP site [early/mid evening], on the basis that if it were serious the report would have been much more doom-laden, and if not it was probably a very minor scare and worth seeing what the price was... Someone on FF got 6.2 :eek:

He's been fluctuating all evening but is now back to a fairly settled 3.9
It doesn't sound very serious at all, but staff/lads at Ascot had clearly seen the lameness and started a scare, the price was drifting, so a statement had to be issued.

Back