Kauto Star

Originally posted by firstpastthepost@Feb 16 2008, 11:43 PM
a sprained fetlok is 4 weeks iv asked someone thats a vet and she said that

please kauto dont have this injury!
But surely that all depends on the severity of the sprain. Motherfuck, i was in such a great mood after the football as well. Betting suspended on the machine as i type.

Breaking news on Sky Sports News.

Kauto Star fit for the Cheltenham Gold Cup.

Thank **** for that!!

Courtesy of The Racing Post:

KAUTO INJURY SCARE OVER

by Ben Newton and Laura Stephens

A HUGELY relieved Paul Nicholls this morning said that the scare over Kauto Star's fitness was all but over.

Back home at Ditcheat after impressively winning the Grade 1 Ascot Chaseyesterday Nicholls and head lad Clifford Baker took the shoe off the hind leg to relieve any pressure and poulticed the foot over night. It was at this point they were confident the problem was not serious."

Nicholls said this morning: "I've had a very sleepless night but fortunately this morning puss came out of the foot when we took the poultice off and when we trotted him up he was virtually sound.

"There will be no setback with his training."

will it put some doubts in the mind of punters that were going to back him in the gold cup??

I for one am a huge kauto fan and could see him out pacing denman but is there any chance of it affecting him past the few days people have stated.I for one am going to be very careful in backing in the gold cup for sure now.

FPTP

So long as it clears up pronto as expected it should not affect his prep at all as he will be having a couple of days off in any event as Shadow Leader pointed out.

Very bad news for those who laid him on Betfair at 5.2 and 6.2 !

I think that if this was 5 years ago, and happened to any other trainer other than Nicholls, it probably wouldnt have made the news. Was tempted to back him at 3.65 last night. But decided to leave it play out.

I think I missed my calling as a vet. Even got the poultice right!!

Ok, lets call a spade a shovel here. I have absolutely no sympathy whatsoever for any clown who laid Kauto last night and to those that took advantage, very well done. Nor can I believe how doom and gloom everyone was. With these sorts of things you have always got to wait until the morning. Anyone who has anything to do with horses will tell you that the morning tells it all. What is has proven is those who know something and those that know nothing and it didnt matter what the result was this morning.

Just thinking that if KS was confirmed absent and something happened to Denman, it would be the most open Gold Cup I could remember. Who else is there???
I couldn't have Exotic with anyones money and no Irish challengers. Nicholls undercard looks pretty average with question marks and the usual plodders like Our Vic and Demon copping for the shorter race.

God we need Kauto and Denman to turn up :eek:

If they didn't for any reason, Our Vic could finally end up winning the Ryanair as the only horse left contesting it!

Originally posted by Maruco@Feb 17 2008, 01:29 PM
If they didn't for any reason, Our Vic could finally end up winning the Ryanair as the only horse left contesting it!
I think they should move the Triumph to the Thurday, it`s looking a really bad day this year.

As I said yesterday, all the doom and gloom merchants who were banging on about him being out of the Gold Cup were well wide of the mark.

Yet another storm in a teacup blown well out of proportion by people who seem to thrive on drama.

FPTP, your mate who is a vet must be pretty damned talented if they can predict the lay off time for an undetermined injury. It is not 4 weeks off for every sprained joint - indeed they can can come sound again within days, depending on the severity of the injury.

Originally posted by Garney@Feb 17 2008, 11:34 AM
I think that if this was 5 years ago, and happened to any other trainer other than Nicholls, it probably wouldnt have made the news. Was tempted to back him at 3.65 last night. But decided to leave it play out.
As I pointed out above, he was lame after the race so lots of people at Ascot [it was in the racecourse stables apparently] saw it and got on their mobiles, to Betfair, bookies, and chums...

It forced Nicholls to make a statement before he knew the full story. It's a story of the modern technological era - and no it wouldn't have happened 5 years ago, as very few people would have had mobiles who were in a position to have seen the initial lameness. It's not Nicholls' fault it got reported, I'm pretty sure of that. Last thing he would want is a major panic like that :eek: with all the added media pressure

My Dad was not working at Ascot racecourse yesterday, so it was nothing to do with him :P

Having been "behind the scenes" at both Newbury and Ascot I can understand how easily a lad or lass perhaps (any member of staff), sees a horse as famous as Kauto walking a bit lame or stiff, then they see the vet is called, it doesn't take long for a few mobile phone calls to be made and the Chinese whispers to start.

Paul Nicholls was probably put in a very difficult position if news of the apparent lameness had made it's way to "The Press" or to a bookies - how on earth does a trainer respond when perhaps he wasn't fully aware of the extent of the problem himself. shrug:: Newbury and Ascot do have numerous (excellent) vets on site but many trainers, like Paul would prefer their own vet to have a look before releasing any formal statement to The Press.

I am just relieved that it was nothing serious and that Plan A continues! Cheltenham here he comes.... barring any setbacks of course.

Alan Lee in The Times

In the warm afterglow of another breathtaking win for Kauto Star, Paul Nicholls confessed he had spent the preceding days in a state of nervous tension, adding that he did not expect to enjoy the four remaining weeks before the Gold Cup. Yet even Nicholls's instinctive foreboding could not envisage the news that broke around him as he travelled back from Ascot to Somerset on Saturday evening.

Kauto Star was lame, initially feared to have sprained a fetlock. Almost before the trainer digested the bombshell, betting exchange business exposed the usual sad trading on misfortune. Thankfully, such fingers may have been burnt. By sunrise yesterday, the scare was over, the Gold Cup winner declared sound and restored to favouritism for the showdown with his stablemate, Denman, on March 14.

Examination by Nicholls's vet, Buffy Shirley-Bevan, confirmed the suspicion of the racecourse vet that lameness was caused by infection in a hind foot. Simple treatment cured the discomfort. “By mid-morning, he was doing 20 minutes on the walker,” Nicholls said. “He'll have a quiet two days but won't miss any work. Panic over.”

At what cost to the nerves of this obsessive trainer is another matter. “It wasn't a good night and I was nervous going in this morning,” he admitted. “We've been lucky over the last two years to have an injury-free, scare-free run. Something was bound to happen and you just hope this was it.”

In common with most trainers, Nicholls believes the influence of betting exchanges to be largely malign and he looked back with distaste on the speed with which Kauto Star drifted the previous evening.

“I was half-way home and had no idea anything was wrong,” he recalled. “By the time I got a call from my staff at the course, all hell had broken loose. Someone must have seen him walk lame as he was loaded on the lorry and got straight on the phone. It put us under immediate pressure over something we would have preferred to deal with quietly.”

No chance, now, of doing anything quietly if it concerns either horse in this captivating match-up. Nicholls habitually hurls himself into the Cheltenham countdown, believing in the “good PR” of appearing at preview nights and press days. But the demands of an avid public for every last detail will see his equanimity tested as never before.

Kauto Star was devastating in winning the Commercial First Ascot Chase by eight lengths, not least because so much was against him. Quite apart from any pain he may have been feeling from his infected foot, he was running over an inadequate trip and on a right-handed track. Yet his jumping was flawless - the last-fence frights of last season now a remote memory - and victory over stern opponents was never in doubt.

“I don't think I've ever been so nervous as I have this week,” Nicholls said. “I felt the pressure because a lot was not in his favour - and our recent record at Ascot isn't great.” Indeed, the champion stable had won with only six of its last 60 runners there before Kauto's course debut registered Nicholls's 100th win of the season.

Before and after the race, the terraces and balconies overlooking the paddock were packed. Kauto Star was clapped around the parade ring, roared back in triumph and then clapped as he exited to the stables.

Paradoxically, the noisiest man on the course was probably Harry Findlay. “I watched it in Harry's box, which was quite an experience,” Nicholls said. “You'd never have known he was Denman's co-owner, the way he was roaring Kauto home.”

The friendly rivalry of this contest was reflected later in the Findlay household. “My missus and daughter rarely get involved with the racing but when they heard Kauto was lame, they were mortified,” Findlay said yesterday. “We all want this race to happen.”

Similar sentiments were evident down at Ditcheat, where Paul Barber, Nicholls's landlord but Findlay's partner in Denman, was constantly on hand and delighted by the veterinary all-clear for the horse that could deny him another Gold Cup.

With the possible exception of the killjoy exchange layers, nobody wants this marvellous prospect to be undermined. This is a Gold Cup for racing to savour, precisely because it will entrance far more folk than would traditionally show an interest. Just 25 more sleepless nights for Nicholls to endure.

Back