Kicking King

Guest_

At the Start
Runs on Sunday in the Normans Grove Chase at Fairyhouse, its a Grade 2 over 2m1f. He will be up against the usual Irish two mile chasers bar Mansony...Nickname,Central House possibly Schindlers Hunt etc. It will be run on probably a heavy surface.

Looks a good race to introduce him. The trip should be perfect come back run...they wont go too fast due to the ground but equally shouldnt go too slow over this short trip so that should help him settle.

Hard to see him win it against a horse like Nickname but what would we be happy to see? I would imagine they'll have him sharp enough to stay on a maybe grab a place but I expect to see him well beaten by the winner.

Would be nice to see him in contention two or three from home and whatever happens from there happens. If he blows up or can't go with them so be it. Obviously would hope that his fluid style of jumping hasn't been affected, would be great to see him jump in the manner he can.

Bizarre Nickname is not even entered up for the Victor Chandler chase on Saturday. I know Ascot dries quickly but there is so much rain about there should be an ease in it.

I agree, Gal. I'm sure Mulryan can afford to chuck an entry at the race in case the ground comes up in their favour! Nothing worse than looking at a race and wishing you'd entered for it as the conditions turn your way.

I wouldn't expect too much from Kicking King on his return. He is better on better ground and 2 miles was never his trip. I could see him in trouble from four out but for me I wouldn't mind that as long as he was staying on up the straight, even in his own time and assuming he has blown up. Good horses, even when they blow up keep plugging away because they have the ability to do so. When horses that are not up to the grade blow up, they stop. I hope the latter does not happen. Presumably they will ride him out the back?

Thats how I would like to see them ride him. Out the back get him settled and above all else finish his race well. Do not want him running a good second but killing himself to do it when he got be running into fourth or third and finishing with confidence and enthusiasm.

What excitement there would be if KK ever comes back to something close to his old form.

He's 40/1 for the Gold Cup at present, which seems realistic, but will that price drop if he gets round next Sunday? Such is the hunger for a rival to the Nicholls pair to emerge that there could be an opportunity to back now and lay later.

Entries for Sunday

1 -6F- Blueberry Boy 9 Joseph E Keeling Paul Stafford

2 345- Central House (GB) 11 John F Kenny D T Hughes 142

3 99P- Hedgehunter 12 Trevor J Hemmings W P Mullins 160

4 -34- In Compliance 8 S Mulryan M J P O'Brien 161

5 231/ Kicking King 10 Conor Clarkson T J Taaffe

6 121- Mansony (FR) 9 Michael Mulholland A L T Moore 158

7 56P- Newmill 10 Mrs Mary T Hayes John Joseph Murphy 161

8 112- Nickname (FR) 9 Mrs Claudia Jungo-Corpataux Martin Brassil 162

9 857- Old Flame 9 Banagher Glen Syndicate Paul Nolan 134

10 U23/ Rule Supreme 12 John J Fallon W P Mullins

11 457- Tumbling Dice 9 Mrs John Donegan T J Taaffe 145

Kicking King's form over 2 miles is superior to anything in this bar Newmill, who shouldn't handle the ground, and looks troubled. He is almost certainly better on good ground, but has no real problem with soft ground.

I would be disappointed if he didn't look the likely winner two out, and with the Gold Cup only two months away, I wouldn't want him stopping to nothing. To be honest, if he is to be competitive in March, I really think he needs to win this. I wouldn't be rushing to back him at 14/1 if he finished an eased down 8 length second to Nickname.

My expectations are a lot lower than my hopes however.

I would be amazed if he was ready to win this first time out...even though he is getting 8lbs from most of the field. The ground is going to be very heavy on Sunday.

Should they be giving the race a miss in the hope of finding better ground somewhere? Even if it meant sending him over to Britain?

I hope he runs well , gets himself back into racing mode and returns safe and well , win or lose... :)

Originally posted by Melendez@Jan 15 2008, 04:30 PM
Kicking King's form over 2 miles is superior to anything in this bar Newmill, who shouldn't handle the ground, and looks troubled. I would be disappointed if he didn't look the likely winner two out,
Kicking King achieved a 2 mile rating of 148 after finishing second to Well Chief in the Arkle. Nickname, Central House, Mansony and Newmill have all been rated higher over two miled and Nickname and Mansony have run above it recently. I would be shocked if KK has the speed. He didn't in the Supreme and he didn't in the Arkle.

In fairness, he came second in the Supreme Novices which shows more speed over hurdles than any of the other horses you mentioned (possibly apart from Newmill). In addition a 1l runner up to Well Chief over 2m looks fairly decent to me... I think he'd want to be travelling well 2 out as Melendez said but surely he'd have to blow up from there... Anyone think he could be interesting for the Ryanair this year as even at his best he'd struggle to place in the GC?

Anyone think he could be interesting for the Ryanair this year as even at his best he'd struggle to place in the GC?

Thats debatable. At his best he would be right in the mix with the other two bar Kauto Star imo.

Back