Kicking King

I was going to post that almost to the word but pulled back at the last minute as it was obviously what she meant. I'm nice I am.

Personally, if they still feel they have a proper racehorse, I'd put him away till next year and get a proper preparation in. It's very much a case of everything to lose and nothing to gain this year.

Originally posted by Melendez@Feb 20 2008, 09:50 AM
....... as it was obviously what she meant. I'm nice I am.
:D Yes something like that!
Though I did think his mark had dropped anyway, but maybe I'm imagining it

Originally posted by useful@Feb 19 2008, 07:18 PM
Didn't Sabin Du Loir have 3 years off through injury after winning the Sun Alliance Hurdle before going on to become a very good Steeplchaser bagging two Haldon Gold Cups, a Peterborough, a John Bull, and thrice beating Desert Orchid at levels to boot!

He did indeed but as he had caned Dawn Run in the Sun Alliance when only a 4 year old, in 1983 - who knows whether he might have been even better !!!

The amazing thing is that after coming back and running blinders in a number of hurdles including chasing home See You Then at Sandown he took up chasing at 9 and ran third when favourite in the Arkle at 10 ( Scudamore went much too quick on him that day ) and won all those races between 11,12 and won the John Bull beating Ryde Again and Garrison Savannah at 14 !!!

He doesn't have an official handicap mark with the Irish handicaper. Obviously if he was entered up in a handicap he would be assigned a mark but the Irish handicaper has decided to dodge the issue for the time being...and you can see why!

Originally posted by Ardross@Feb 20 2008, 01:54 PM
.... he took up chasing at 9 and ran third when favourite in the Arkle at 10 ( Scudamore went much too quick on him that day ) and won all those races between 11,12 and won the John Bull beating Ryde Again and Garrison Savannah at 14 !!!
Like Oscar Park - he's 9 isn't he?
Let's hope he turns out as much of a star after the long wait to fulfill his destiny

Oscar Park is starting his chasing career a year earlier than Sabin Du Loir, and doesn't have to overcome the lengthty absence due to injury.

What is more, Sabin Du Loir as the poster said, slammed a future Champion Hurdle and Gold Cup winner as a juvenile in the Sun Alliance. Oscar Park's victory in a Pertemps Final doesn't really compare that favourably.

I would be very surprised if he achieves a fraction of what Sabin Du Loir did either side of his injury.

It has not been announced yet but Kicking King had a trapped nerve in his back after the Gowran Park race. They have discovered it a couple of days after the race and have treated it.

Connections have always done well by this horse, putting the horses interests ahead of everything else. Applauded for taking this decision and not taking a chance with the horse. I wonder is Aintree an option.

At The Races.....

Kicking King, winner of the 2005 Cheltenham Gold Cup, has been ruled out of the blue riband event on Friday week.

Tom Taaffe's 10-year-old made an encouraging return from an injury lay-off when second to Nickname at Gowran Park in January, but disappointed when only third on his second run this year.

Connections were still keen to have a crack at the Gold Cup, but they have been forced to bypass Cheltenham after Kicking King failed to sparkle in a piece of work this morning.

Owner Conor Clarkson told At The Races: "Unfortunately Tom Taaffe wasn't happy, and neither was Barry Geraghty, with his work. We've therefore no option but to say he will not be running in the Gold Cup.

"Obviously there's just something a little amiss at the moment. His legs are fine, but the quality would not be up to the standard of the Gold Cup. He's just not firing on all cylinders."

He added: "This has nothing to do with retirement, it is just the quality of his work. It was reasonable, but Tom is an astute trainer and Barry is a top jockey.

"The quality of his work was just not up to the quality he'd been producing in the last couple of months.

"There may be a lingering, low-grade virus there and he'll have a nice little break now. If he shows sparkle in his work in the next couple of weeks we'd be delighted to go to Punchestown.

"The Punchestown Gold Cup is now the target

From the RP:

KICKING KING is being aimed at the Punchestown festival next month.

Trainer Tom Taaffe confirmed today the 2005 Cheltenham Gold Cup winner is ready to race at the five-day festival that starts on April 22 with his likely destination being the Punchestown Gold Cup on April 23.

He's in great shape and has been working fantastically well,” said Taaffe.
“We are considering running him at Navan on March 29 but we are planning to go to Punchestown at the end of April.”

Tom Taaffe has fallen on tough times.

good to see him have a winner today. Irish racing says it's only his 13th runner this season and first winner since February

Back