King George V1 Chase Kempton Thurs 26 Dec 2019

The Tizzard family reckon Lostintranslation is the best horse they have ever trained...so say no more!

Thistlecrack to go off and make it a true test, Lostintranslation to cruise home with superb jumping.

Has it rained heavily at Kempton overnight and softened the ground further?

Good ground horses on the drift this morning - Verdanna Blue and Getaway Trump 2 notable drifters in the Christmas hurdle.

After being on course and calling it right for it to beat Altior, that's edged Cyrname (took 13/8) over Lost in Translation for me. Got a saver (small win profit overall) bet on Clan Des as well seen as 6/1 is available at the moment.

But that's just one of about a dozen races I'm on today all over the place.

Last edited:
The one big negative I have for Cyrname is that it's never seen 3m before, prev winners since 2000 had all ran a 3m Chase but not necessarily won.
The most it's done before is 2m5f, so if it's not all over by then lets see if it has anything in the tank when it comes over the last fence in the King George.

Harry Cobden must be well P****d off with Paul Nicholls, because he steered him to Cyrname

Funny old course, Kempton. Not every horse gets into that rhythm you need there which is why you get multiple winners who thrive round here.
LIT much better suited by Cheltenham but lost all chance when he mullered that fence.

cyrname didn't stay. LIT jumped badly which is strange. unsatisfactory renewal again like last year. feel like the winner is a solid if unspectacular horse.

Probably the most costly Christmas I’ve had in many years.

Can’t have Footpad anymore. Travelled and jumped well just never looked like winning

The one big negative I have for Cyrname is that it's never seen 3m before, prev winners since 2000 had all ran a 3m Chase but not necessarily won.
The most it's done before is 2m5f, so if it's not all over by then lets see if it has anything in the tank when it comes over the last fence in the King George.

And the 3m Chase stat holds true, at least I still ended up with a small profit

cyrname didn't stay. LIT jumped badly which is strange. unsatisfactory renewal again like last year. feel like the winner is a solid if unspectacular horse.

Coming soon to a flat track near you...

Sickbag II. Beware the Ides of March.

Last edited:
Harry Cobden must be well P****d off with Paul Nicholls, because he steered him to Cyrname

Where did you get this nonsense from, Max?

For clarification Nicholls said clearly that the jockey had the choice.

Last edited:
It’ll be interesting to see the official rating awarded to CDO. A quick glance at the form says he’s beaten a 177-rated horse by 21 lengths.

I thought I'd be laughed out of here saying this, but Clan has improved hasn't he?

Improved on his overall form and last years success.

But he should never have been an 11/2 chance in the first place.

His midweek price of 7/2 was the right price.

Last edited:
A glance at the form book tells you CDO is a far better horse right handed.
Add to that Cyrname clearly isn't the same horse away from Ascot and probably didn't stay, Footpad didn't stay and LIT was never travelling. As James said an unsatisfactory renewal.

Last edited:
I haven't seen it through again since watching it live but my immediate impression was that it was falling apart from some way out.

It's entirely possible that CDO has improved a fair bit. I remember reading into something Nicholls said after Down Royal that had me believing CDO would come on a ton for the race and it was only just before the race yesterday when Walsh said something about him looking just as fir as RTR that made me wonder if I was mistaken.

However, it's hard to get away from the idea that maybe he was the only one that really ran his race.

It's possible that Lostintranslation left it at Haydock and Cyrname at Ascot.

I've also noticed in the last few seasons we seem to be getting more big races (in general) like yesterday's, with very wide margin winners. Could it be that getting them absolutely spot on for one big target involves extremely fine margins that most horses are overcooked in training ahead of such races?

Back