King George VI and Queen Elizabeth Stakes 2022

Truncheon

Conditional
Thought's now after Westover's demolition job?:D

Can he reverse the Derby form on a stiffer right handed track?

Throw Emily Upjohn, Adayar, Hurricane Lane, Alenquer into the mix and we have a blockbuster

What do you think?

They won't but if they did all rock up. Good ground. Who wins?

Desert Crown comfortable. Westover surprised me today but he won't have the gears to beat Desert Crown on good ground at Ascot. Short straight not ideal.

Didn't think he was up to beating a top Ballydoyle filly. Plus he was wayward at Sandown the time before Epsom.

What do you think?

They won't but if they did all rock up. Good ground. Who wins?

I'd probably side with Westover, i was at Epsom and backed Desert Crown to win and Westover e.w

With a clear run Westover gets beat a length, i think Keane will get a free reign up top in the KG and try to make all

He might just do it

Aye, you've both realised the Derby form isn't sh*te. :)
11/8 at the mo, which is a crazy price when he's not a certain runner.

If we accept Tuesday didn't run her race then Westover's win is, if anything, disappointing, especially for those who believe he'd have run Desert Crown close at Epsom.

At 1.5lb per length (the 12f calculation), he has given the following beatings:

Piz Padile (OR 109), 7 lengths = 10.5lbs
French Claim (107), 9 lengths = 13.5lbs

So, Westover is working out at 120 (rounded up) and 121 (r/u), which would still be a little way off Desert Crown's Derby performance.

It makes Westover a decent but hardly dazzling Irish Derby winner and nowhere near the level of many previous winners.

I happen to think Hurricane Lane has a 126 in him so he will be very hard to beat, but not necessarily unbeatable if Desert Crown or Westover can improve again.

Last edited:
Only if piz badile ran the same race.

Westover ran in the Derby and would have been at worst within 2l of the winner with a clear run. Desert crown looks a 10-12f optimum trip and Westover 12-14f. I'd like to see DC travel behind Westover off a strong pace over a stuff 12f and see if he could speed past. At shorter trips/easier tests, DC does it.

Only if piz badile ran the same race.

Absolutely, but it's also interesting that he and French Claim ran very close to their differential on ratings. That's the view the handicapper is very likely to take. I would never rule out the possibility that both would improve a bit, being 3yos.

Westover ran in the Derby and would have been at worst within 2l of the winner with a clear run. Desert crown looks a 10-12f optimum trip and Westover 12-14f. I'd like to see DC travel behind Westover off a strong pace over a stuff 12f and see if he could speed past. At shorter trips/easier tests, DC does it.

I actually think Westover would have been much closer to DC than that [at Epsom]. Agree with the rest.

Absolutely, but it's also interesting that he and French Claim ran very close to their differential on ratings. That's the view the handicapper is very likely to take. I would never rule out the possibility that both would improve a bit, being 3yos.

I actually think Westover would have been much closer to DC than that [at Epsom]. Agree with the rest.

On the eye, I think he would have been right up beside DC with a clear run, but it relies on how you view DC's last furlong. Either he was coming to the end of his tether while being eased, or if he was just being eased. I'm giving DC a length or so bonus having put the race to bed when it needed to be won (2.5f to 1f out). As sustained battle with a strong stayer off a strong pace on a stiff track over 12f would be interesting.

Of course, every chance that DC could improve again.

Aye, you've both realised the Derby form isn't sh*te. :)
11/8 at the mo, which is a crazy price when he's not a certain runner.

I still say the Derby form is Sh*te. He beat them as he liked and it doesn't need to be a good raace to do that.

Stick another couple of top notchers in and the reflection of the race completely changes.

The Derby to me was "Something had to finish 2nd"

I'd probably side with Westover, i was at Epsom and backed Desert Crown to win and Westover e.w

With a clear run Westover gets beat a length, i think Keane will get a free reign up top in the KG and try to make all

He might just do it

I was in same boat with the two at Epsom.

The winner would have been all out to win if Westover had clear run.

Not sure we will see it. Has gears DC and must be chance he goes to York. Another smash up I would love to see.
Desert Crown, Baaeed, Inspiral, Vadeni, Bay Bridge.... won't all line up but if they did, who wins?

Could improve for it:

BAAEED
ped_i.gif
(GB) b. C, 2018 {2-f} DP = 5-1-19-5-0 (30) DI = 1.07 CD = 0.20

People thought Brigadier Gerard wouldn't stay 10f until he tried it. He won a King George.

People thought Daylami wouldn't stay 10f and he ended up being brilliant at 12f as well as 10f.

I can see Baaeed being well suited to 10f and would love to see him try 12f next year.

PS
My reply was in reference to Frankel's mention of a York smash-up.

Last edited:
I wouldn't disgaree with that but I think we have to ask if this is a vintage year?

I personaly don't think we are about to see another Dancing Brave anytime soon

I reckon the three Derby winners this season will give most older horses a run for their money when they meet .

Probably only because most of the older horses aren't much cop, though.

Hardwicke winner Broome is a c120 horse.

Hukum was much more impressive in dishing out a 7lbs beating to 120-ish markers in the Coronation Cup, though, and I still believe Hurricane Lane has a 126 in his locker.

The Derby winners will have to improve - not out of the question by any means - to get to them, let alone beat them and, as has been suggested, Westover might be the most likely to do so at 12f and Desert Crown and/or Vadeni at shorter. I'm not sure I'd fancy Hurricane Lane back at 10f, mind.

Back