King George VI Chase

Ardross

Senior Jockey
I agree this race is a great race in its own right and is not simply part of a Gold Cup prep - the same applies to the Tingle Creek . Let's be honest the day that MF,Az and WC really set each other alight was at sandown not in their slightly anticlimactic meetings in the QMCC - with MF falling one year and Az leaving his legs in the water jump the next .

So here is a thread for it

Albertas Run
Burton Port (IRE)
Cooldine (IRE)
Deep Purple
Forpadydeplasterer (IRE)
Free World (FR)
Glencove Marina (IRE)
Herecomesthetruth (IRE)
Hey Big Spender (IRE)
Kauto Star (FR)
Long Run (FR)
Madison du Berlais (FR)
Mad Max (IRE)
Nacarat (FR)
Noland
Ollie Magern
Planet of Sound
Punchestowns (FR)
Riverside Theatre
Sizing Europe (IRE)
The Nightingale (FR)
Tranquil Sea (IRE)
What A Friend
J'Y Vole (FR)

The interesting contenders to me - as potential challengers to Kauto and the Henderson pair Riverside Theatre and possibly ew Planet of Sound who goes well right handed .

Last edited:
What has Kauto Star done in the last 11 months to make him an even money shot.Lay him for the crown jewels.

Luke do you mind me asking if you have much of a position on Sizing Europe on Betfair?

I think it is what Kauto did eleven and a half months ago that explains his price - as well as his record of showing significant improvement on his first run of the season .

67 euro invested Sizing wins me 2300 ish Riverside Theatre750.Ante post betting isn't really my game I had planned on backing both horses for a few quid every week but the juicy prices soon dry up.
At this stage I am thinking about a tasty ew bet.

Kauto made heavy weather of beating China Rock and a Sizing Europe who never jumped with any fluency at Down Royal and I think he might have gone.

Long Run and Sizing Europe each way for me. The latter is an excellent back to lay bet.

I think it is what Kauto did eleven and a half months ago that explains his price - as well as his record of showing significant improvement on his first run of the season .

Many years ago I was waiting on Desert Orchid for my first ever four figure win having had a nice double with Carvills Hill for the Welsh National.Unfortunately Dessie was past his best that day and I had to wait a long time for my first big touch.The lesson learned was that they don't go on forever.

What has Kauto Star done in the last 11 months to make him an even money shot.Lay him for the crown jewels.

He beat two race fit horses at DownRoyal including probably both our favourite horse in training at the moment. Add to that he has a proven history of improving from his first run and finally its at Kempton

And - apropros of Luke's last remark - it's remarkable how many French-breds have gone on for so long over here. They're schooled very young in France and once they've clocked up X wins, they seem to be retired without the French deeming it of any great benefit to continue to race them just for the craic.

Sabin du Loir is one of my equine heroes.He had some engine when fresh.

Also his comeback as a chaser was after a number of years off with injury - who knows what he might have been otherwise .As a 4 year old hurdler he was superb - beating no less than Dawn Run in the Sun Alliance Hurdle in style.

I was not impressed with Kauto Star at Down Royal. I thought he looked quite laboured to beat Sizing Europe (who has no chance at Kempton).

It's a real pity Imperial Commander misses the race.

Will be amazed if Mad Max runs -I thought he ran out of stamina at Cheltenham and Henderson has two decent contenders.

Cheers. Not saying I fancy him but just wondering where he goes next.

Much prefer Riverside Theatre to him - Long Run very short now, 4s in places, and it looks like the race is cutting up a bit. Is RT going for the Peterborough?

DeBromhead on SE

“His jumping has been a little bit deliberate this season, mainly because I think he just isn’t used to racing at that slower pace. It gives him more time to think. But it’s always a good gallop at Kempton and it’s a track that should suit him so we will know more afterwards,” he said.

I'm not a Mad Max fan either.

I think Sizing Europe should be running in the Dial-a-bet (what a name) at Leopardstown.

Kauto Star a banker in my book

I’m full up with ante post vouchers at 9/4, but with IC out, think Evens would be great value on the day (or NRNB with Ladbrokes)

Long Run a huge lay (what form does he have to justify his price??), but backing 1/5 chances is not my MO

Sizing Europe is reported as being in good form ahead of his tilt at the King George VI Chase at Kempton.

Henry De Bromhead's eight-year-old finished behind Kauto Star when they met at Down Royal but the trainer is hopeful that he will be able to reverse the form in the Boxing Day showpiece.

He told At The Races: "He seems in good form and that's what we are aiming for.

"I thought his run at Down Royal was very good and I think he'll still improve for that. We are hoping for goodish ground which would be of benefit for us and Kauto Star.

"We think that there are a few things we could improve upon from Down Royal and we are working on those. He flipped going into the first and seemed to lose his confidence over the first couple of fences, and I think he's only just getting use to the slower pace of jumping over three miles.

"His jumping should improve again as he becomes more used to that pace as opposed to last year in the Arkle where he went flat out and took the fences in his stride.

"This year he has had more time to think and that's why he was probably a bit deliberate at them but his schooling has been really good."

Sizing Europe is currently a 14-1 chance with Sky Bet to win the King George VI Chase with Kauto Star a very solid 10-11 favourite.

Back