King George VI Chase

Is Albertas Run not 3/4 times the price he should be? Certainly in the top 5 chasers last season, winning at both Cheltenham and Aintree in very good fashion both times, and has been runner up to Kauto here before. Is he really 6/1 to place?

Some optimism for staging the KG (as long as there is no more significant snow).

"The yellow pins that hold down the covers are 8cm high and at 5am you couldn't see them for the snow. Now you can see them up to their halfway point.

"The track itself is perfectly raceable and there's no reason why that should change between now and Boxing Day. We were down to -10.0C on Saturday night, but the track still isn't frozen. The ground is also starting to sweat, which is causing heat and helping the thaw."

They seem to have done a good job. I'm just 3 miles away from course and the snow is definately melting away. Today is milder than I thought it would be too

Today is milder than I thought it would be too

Indeed, yesterday's tabloids painted a horror story of being in the grip of sub-zero temperatures, when daytime temperatures in and around London seem to be holding up above zero.

Only 1.52 to back now that Kempton is on.

...is this for Boxing Day itself, or for Boxing day and the day after? ...I'm fairly hopeful it will take place on one of those two days.

Last edited:
Another one to ponder - what about The Nightingale each way at 40s? The third highest rated in the line up, and his beating of Roberto Goldback reads very well after that one's latest. I am fancying too many in this race to run well.

A bit arrogant, you would have to say. Albertas Run has the form to be second favourite.

Albertas Run is 25 to 1. There would be nothing historic about winning the race riding him.

Kauto Star is 11/10. It would be the chance to cap off a great year for McCoy.

That would be ideal, yes. Get paid a very nice retainer for when it suits you, and jump ship when it doesn't.

And mccoy can retort to jonjo "just think of the horse that kauto wouldn't have been if you tarined him"

And " how many spotys have you won ?"

That would be ideal, yes. Get paid a very nice retainer for when it suits you, and jump ship when it doesn't.

I hear what you're saying... but it's a once in a blue moon sort of thing on an historic occasion. Unless anyone thinks Albertas can actually win they will probably all agree to it.

Last edited:
Is McCoy retained by Jonjo? I don't believe so.

I'm not sure, but it is nevertheless etiquette when a rider has accepted a booking to stick with that mount. Having said that I think it’s probably reasonable that he switches in the circumstances.

I believe the retainer is with J P McManus rather than Jonjo.

Last edited:
How is it cheeky? If he wants to ride it, he can, if he doesn't he won't.

Re; The Nightingale. WIll be interesting to see if he gets anywhere near that lofty 167 rating. I'd agree with the betting that he's plenty to find. 167 for him is amazing when you consider Azertyuiop was only 168 after finishing second to Moscow Flyer in the Tingle Creek.

Back