Nacarat (FR) 9.g
Noland 9.g
Ollie Magern 12.g
Planet of Sound 8.g
Riverside Theatre 6.g
Sizing Europe (IRE) 8.g
The Nightingale (FR) 7.g
What A Friend 7.g

I'd imagine they'll give it every chance Gal - if not then i'm sure Newbury or Cheltenham will offer to step in to host the race.

Don't forget Fakenham, these smaller tracks should be given a chance to hold a big one after all :D

Is it fair to say that this race is pretty certain not to go ahead?

Why do you say that? The forecast is meant to get above freezing this Friday which must give it a chance. At least it better be - otherwise I am stuck in an airport for xmas!

Don't forget Fakenham, these smaller tracks should be given a chance to hold a big one after all :D
As head of the campaign to switch the Peterborough Chase from Huntingdon to Cottenham P2P a couple of weekends ago I have to agree - the King George at Fakenham would be a heck of a spectacle :)

Just the impression from all the reports - another 5-7cm of snow forecast for there tonight and they have already been moving "mountains" of snow today.

I don't live all that far from there and yes, it is quite bad at the moment. However, the forecast is meant to get a little better as the weeke goes on, rising to 0 or 1 degrees by Friday, with hopefully no more snow. Presuming the snow is gone by then as well, would those kind of temperatures give it a chance?

I don't live all that far from there and yes, it is quite bad at the moment. However, the forecast is meant to get a little better as the weeke goes on, rising to 0 or 1 degrees by Friday, with hopefully no more snow. Presuming the snow is gone by then as well, would those kind of temperatures give it a chance?

If it gets down to minus 3-5 overnight before raceday it is usually touch and go even if frost covers are already down. Any colder overnight and the chance fades to virtually nothing. Frost is the killer. If they can keep the ground frost free they stand a chance if the promised milder weather arrives in time.

2.58 to race according to Betfair.

This from the PA:

COLD KEMPTON 4/7 TO BE OFF
The predicted thaw at Kempton is getting later meaning the Boxing Day fixture is in doubt.
The all-weather card on Tuesday is struggling to cope and has to pass a 0700 GMT inpsection to go ahead.
No wonder, then, that the King George fixture is 4/7 to be called off with Ladbrokes.
"The forecast for Christmas Day is 2C and Boxing Day 4C so the trouble is the predicted thaw is getting later," said clerk of the course Barney Clifford.
"The problem is the volume of snow on the track. Just today I tried to move one section of the covering to check the turf underneath and even that was a massive procedure.
"We certainly need a thaw to help us. The forecasts are volatile, that's a problem too.
"So what we are going to do is assess the situation on a 24-hour basis because you can have the best contingency plans in the world but if the weather changes they are useless."
Source: PA

Given the snow falling today, and the fact that the warm breakdown seems to be delayed according to the weather models, Leopardstown must be odds on to be off aswell.

Or it should be.

They seem very confident to the contrary though.

Leopardstown odds-on to race on Sunday
By Jessica Lamb 4:35PM 20 DEC 2010
BOOKMAKERS have made Leopardstown an odds-on shot to stage the first day of its Christmas festival on Sunday as manager Tom Burke described himself as "confident" of beating the weather.
Paddy Power went 1-7 about the Dublin track racing on Sunday and 4-1 about the fixture being abandoned, while William Hillwent as big as 1-3 about racing going ahead.

The course received just a dusting of snow on Sunday, followed by an inch and a half on Monday morning. More snow is forecast before Sunday, but Burke did not appear concerned.
He said:"There is still a threat of snow showers on Monday night and Tuesday, but the risk is diminished after that and temperatures are to rise from Christmas eve.
"We could be up to 9C on Christmas Day and 10C on St Stephen's Day [Sunday]. If the forecast is correct, I'd be pretty confident racing will go ahead."
The going is officially described as soft, with some frost in the ground.
Will racing go ahead at Leopardstown on Sunday?
Paddy Power bet: 1-7 yes, 4 no
Ladbrokes bet: 3-10 yes, 5-2 no
William Hill bet: 1-3 yes, 9-4 no

Source: Racing Post

Last edited:
I would be very surprised if any of the Irish tracks were not able to race if the forecast is correct. RP sounds even more negative now regarding Kempton.

whats the story with ante post bets on the king george (on betfair)

Say I lay kauto now thinking that it will be moved to a less apt track for him
(ie anywhere else!!!!!!!!!)

Last edited:
Why do you say that? The forecast is meant to get above freezing this Friday which must give it a chance. At least it better be - otherwise I am stuck in an airport for xmas!

Weather report earlier on today stating that if there's snow on the ground tonight it'll still be there Christmas Day so sounds a bit doubtful to me.

Back