King George VI Chase

It's very easy to say that knowing that the race isn't going to be re-opened Steve ;)

Surely there's a better opportunity for IC two weeks later if they want to run him before Cheltenham?

It's very easy to say that knowing that the race isn't going to be re-opened Steve ;)

Surely there's a better opportunity for IC two weeks later if they want to run him before Cheltenham?

I agree. That's why I said "claims".

Nevertheless, it still would have been better to re-open in my opinion.

[Note that it has worked to Twiston-Davies's advantage with Khyber Kim, in fairness as he points out].

Agree about re-opening the race - it'll have been 3 weeks since they called it off the first time.

Hope the weather holds out this time :)

Agree about re-opening the race - it'll have been 3 weeks since they called it off the first time.

Hope the weather holds out this time :)

...yes that would be the final straw, especially so when it would have been possible for it to have taken place in the meantime.

Odd that they did not do as they did in One Man's year and run it at Sandown this weekend - I assume that was due to having to reschedule the Welsh National as well

Henderson quite negative in today's RP on his 2

Riverside Theatre - "in tremendous form, but soft ground would be useless to him..."

Long Run (can't win anyway) - "is fine, but was really really fine on the 26th...difficult to keep him on the boil for so long...not gone off the boil but delay not helped..."

With both Forpaddy & Planet of Sound better on decent ground and Sizing Europe not certain to travel, can see KS going off 4/7

I want to back Riverside Theatre for this, but with more rain on the way I can't do that.

I'd give Kauto Star a chance I think.:)

The phrase cutting off your nose to spite your face springs to mind. Because they had a wasted journey before they don't want to do it again.

Some would say understandable, but it is also a pity.

What a mess de Bromhead has made of his season .. we are half way through January and we still have no idea if the horse properly stays 3 miles or not. He should know that by now, and this phase of the season should be spent planning towards Cheltenham with a suitable race in mind. He risks wasting a season if it turns out he doesn't stay the Gold Cup trip.

Please tell me he runs before Cheltenham.

A fit and healthy 9yo chaser not running between early November and mid-March is a travesty.

HdeB:

"He's in great form at home so what we'll do now is sit down and look at our options here over the next three to four weeks with a view to a run prior to the Festival in March."

Source: PA

What should he have done-what would your campaign be on paper.

Run him over 3 miles; have him fit when he is on the track. There have been plenty of 3 mile races he could have run in and he hadn't been placed in 1.

The nine race card is a bad, bad idea. It shouldn't be allowed on winter ground - it'll be soft enough as it is and by the time the ninth race - a 3m nervous chase - is held, the ground will resemble a ploughed field. My guess is there will be a very small field go to post for that one.

Back