King George

davidjohnson

At the Start
Haven't got a strong view on what is so often a great race, other than like last year I wonder if St Nicholas Abbey is too short at 5/2. Some interesting Timeform performance ratings at 4/5 yrs for him when you split his efforts up by r/h and l/h tracks.

Going l/h (most recent first) - 130/126/127/126/126
Going r/h - 114+/124/118/120/99

Okay some of those r/h efforts can be explained by other factors, but he's clearly nothing like so bomb proof this way round.

I'd favour both Sea Moon and Nathaniel over St Nicholas Abbey. I don't think Gosden will run Nathaniel, however. I can certainly see the argument for Dunaden running well but I just worry that in the end Dunaden ran at Ascot as he did at Newmarket and lacks a bit of tactical pace at this trip. It's difficult to have a bet until plans for Nathaniel are clarified.

I can see this really really cutting up looking at the entries. It's well known of my love for all things Japanese but Deep Brillante is a definite runner, is an improving three year old and 20/1 could look big come the day.

I think Sea Moon is a clear form choice and I'll be all-in on the day if the ground isn't too fast.

This horse and Bronze Angel in the Golden Mile a week or so later may make or break my season.

He's no more lost the midas touch than Cecil did pre Frankel. He just hasn't had the talent in the stable recently.

I have been a fan of Stoute since the 80s but what is happening there is not normal, he has the best jockey in Europe and
he has top class amunition, owners like Hamdam, Abdullah, the choice of Chevely Park, Ballymacoll, Rotschild, the queen, Highclere or Odgen

in the classics and the big meetings, not only lacking winners, he is without even 5 days entries in most races he used to dominate in the past

The stable is a negative for me in the last 2 years,
until the winners return I dont back horses of the stable

He got Sea Moon to run his race at Ascot. But I admit I no longer respect Stoute horses in handicaps the way I used to (and still do with the Godolphin entries).

Haven't got a strong view on what is so often a great race, other than like last year I wonder if St Nicholas Abbey is too short at 5/2.

Really close between the three market leaders in form and rating.

Assuming Nathaniel gets to post (week less between the Eclipse and KG this year) and runs to a sub-130 level SNA and Sea Moon would have to improve on their best performances to win. However both ran to their best (or close to it) in their last races and SNA may have a really big one in him.

Good strength in depth also below these three Dunaden and Reliable Man are good horses while Imperial Monarch is a 3yo colt of real quality.

Not sure I can see the value in what ought to be a hell of a race.

Last edited:
Surely IM will be heading to Longchamp on Saturday?

Yes he is. Earlier today he was still quoted for the KG though.

Seven are left in the Grand Prix de Paris: Imperial Monarch, Main Sequence, Saint Baudolino, Last Train, Hard Dream, Sir Jade and Albion.

An opportunity for IM to shine.

I was all over Sea Moon for this before he won last time but only afool wouldn't be worried after the way Nathaniel won last time.

As far as SMS's form goes that doesn't worrry me one bit. He's had a virus circulating the place for 2 years but you can bet Sea Moon like Carlton House isn't housed anywhere near those who were affected.

As I mentioned in the Arc thread i I had my chance over again I think I'd go for nathaniel over Sea Moon but as far as St Nicholas Abbey goes I wouldn't touch him with a bage pole. I think he lacks the class to win a King George despite beating Sea Moon last yaer.
SMS's record of improving horses from 3 to 4years has stood the test of time and Sea Moon looks a far different proposition a year on.

Despite my money riding on Sea Moon I think Nahtaniel will most likely win so if John Gosden lets him take his chance I'll be laying Sea Moon to get my stake back and crossing my fingers I'm wrong.

Try telling the people who were laid off when the yard almost came to a halt after 18 months of thing getting worse by the day.

After the lowest tally in years they resorted to steam cleaning the entire place in a deperate bid to get rid of the damn thing.

All of a sudden Marcus Tregonning couldn't train a winner and had a shocking season then bang he has winner after winner also had a long lasting virus. Jonjo back in about 2004 had horses miss entire seasons because of an equine flu. The virus may die but it leaves some really bad after affects and when horses are weak they will catch just about everything going. It can take a yard years top fully recover.

I'm not a vet nor an expert of any kind on equine matters but logic tells me when you hvae hundreds of horses once they are sick you are going to have mega problems.

If you want add something to your post that would justify your one liner please feel free as I am all ears and like to learn about these things from such a wise educated person like yourself

Charlie Brooks had mega virus problems at Uplands too but then again he didnt believe in vaccinating, according to his book. Surely SMS is more enlightened.
Large populations are always harder to manage,whatever the species. A small Curragh trainer did a big disinfection and clean up late May, had no runner for four weeks and had a happy Derby weekend, easy to manage with small numbers.

Danedream is the fascinating horse in this - will the Arc winner or the last in the Grand Prix de st Cloud turn up ? If the former ....

Back