Lazy Week

I said majority not all. If you went to uni for a career reason then you more likely to get a job that can more than pay for your debt.

Exactly - so the people who really pay for university are the ones who graduate with £15,000 debts and who then get better jobs - and consequently pay more tax from their future salaries.

Oh, and sweeping generalisations aren't exactly the height of brainpower, either. But then all people that don't go to university are thick, aren't they?

I employed a university graduate for the summer last year. She got her degree in history, but unfortunately had very little common sense - which I did find with other graduates when I was working with them in my previous job. It was a bone of contention in the office that the grads came in on much better money, but were no more knowledgeable at the job they were employed to do, although many of them spoke languages - but little common sense. The young lady in question now works as a clerk in a solicitors office on about 15k pa. I am not sure how she is ever going to pay off her debt (in excess of 10k), but living with her parents is certainly helping. Even she isn't sure why she went for a degree in history (apart from she liked the subject matter) and now has very little experience in taking up a main stream job in an office which is what she wants to do.

Once again, Singspiel, it is a sweeping generalisation to suggest that "the majority of students just go to uni for a jolly" On the contrary, in my experience, the majority of students go to university to improve their chances of getting the job they want. That does not, either, necessarily mean that they will be well-paid - some of the vocations that are most valuable to society attract derisory salaries.

A friend of mine graduated a few years ago with a 2.1 in Microbiology. Her first job (which she worked in for 2 years) was £9,500 a year for a 35 hour week, including unsociable hours.

The experience she gained stood her in good stead as she is now in a much better job with a multinational pharmaceutical company. But it was virtual slave labour for the work she was asked to do, which was certainly of a graduate level. Lots of science graduates end up in poorly paid jobs starting out, I'm told. So a supposedly "useful" degree doesn't necessarily guarantee you a good job.

Social engineering now requires universities to accept lower entry levels so as to achieve a better social mix.
It would be fair to say that the majority want extra education to enable them a wider choice of job but, with the changing social lifestyles, many of students as a law of average, will run up unnecessary debts.

The student who cannot manage his finances will be highlighted as having X amount of debt without illustrating why, so, by being tarred with the same brush we are given the impression that most students are irresponsible

Big part of the problem is that there are too many 'universities' and far too many arty-farty degrees with truly obscure content.

I believe if we re-introduced a sensible and equitable apprenticeship system (which benefited an employer and also did not treat the apprentice like an indentured servant), then it would be possible to encourage youngster towards these 'vocational' jobs, rather than wasting time getting what will always be regarded as a second-class degree from some third-rate 'Uni' in Bognor or Penge....

Originally posted by Kathy@Jun 3 2005, 11:19 AM
I employed a university graduate for the summer last year. She got her degree in history, but unfortunately had very little common sense - which I did find with other graduates when I was working with them in my previous job. It was a bone of contention in the office that the grads came in on much better money, but were no more knowledgeable at the job they were employed to do, although many of them spoke languages - but little common sense. The young lady in question now works as a clerk in a solicitors office on about 15k pa. I am not sure how she is ever going to pay off her debt (in excess of 10k), but living with her parents is certainly helping. Even she isn't sure why she went for a degree in history (apart from she liked the subject matter) and now has very little experience in taking up a main stream job in an office which is what she wants to do.
Most of the time the debts don't need to be paid off till they are earning well over 15k. Well it was that way with my partners anyway. Alot of post graduates don't seem to get jobs anymore, alot of companies prefer experience to qualifications these days.

"A lot" is two words.

It strikes me that unless you have had many, MANY partners, you have a sample that is too small to be realistic whereas those of us who went to University have rather more people on which to base our opinions.

Originally posted by krizon@Jun 2 2005, 12:30 AM
Does a 'dialectic fashion' mean she's going to have to write it in a broad sahf coast accent, Sols? :D
Main Entry: di·a·lec·tic
Function: noun
: discussion and reasoning by dialogue as a method of intellectual investigation; specifically : the Socratic techniques of exposing false beliefs and eliciting truth b : the Platonic investigation of the eternal ideas
Ex philosopy student seeks common sense B)

Congrats Aidan on finishing your exams!!! Exams are hard hard work
I went to univ because that was the logical next step in life. After GCSE, A Level, University was what the majority of sixth formers do next. Also, wanted to live away from home for 3 yrs and learn about things in general. Im not sure about your comment singspiel, some of my friends had definite aims while at univ whilst some dont... i own 12k to the government and i havent played any back yet since i dont earn over the threshold yet... It is up to the individual, if they put the work in at univ, it is definitely worth it since their career prospect and pay will be higher than without degrees.

(Just my attempt at a play on the word 'dialect', Sols, but I think it was stillborn, by the look of it.)

Back