Leopardstown Sunday

Finians Rainbow has won a pair of three runner novice chases. I have to say, if an Irish horse arrived at the Festival with those credentials, he would be denigrated on that basis. Has he really been tested enough? Given that it's an open enough year, you're gonna have 12/13 horses tearing away at it. I'd rather something a bit more battle hardened.

Nice big wave and yell from Del Boy behind Gary's wrap - Del, could I suggest lumberjack-style purple-and-white checks best worn for evenings at Dundalk? Just a wee bit lairy for sedate NH action.

Some lovely efforts there in the Bumper, all first three, four home likely to be stars of tomorrow. MALT LANE extremely impressive with a good speed kept up all the way, with a gradual winding-up to the finish. He's got a nice light action, too, so that anything softer shouldn't disadvantage him.

Finians Rainbow has won a pair of three runner novice chases. I have to say, if an Irish horse arrived at the Festival with those credentials, he would be denigrated on that basis. Has he really been tested enough? Given that it's an open enough year, you're gonna have 12/13 horses tearing away at it. I'd rather something a bit more battle hardened.

In theory I agree with you but he looks special, though I have no formlines with which to back this up. He's apparently going for the Kingmaker so hopefully a few will turn up there.

This is a question and not a dig (I can't think of many) - who fits into the battle hardened camp?

I was too busy talking to grey and an Capall and cantoris to be acting the spa behind Gary!! We were putting the world to rights!

Omigod - you got the three heavy hitters of the forum, then. Dunno about put the world to rights, those three would sort the entire universe!

Who was your stand-out horse today, Del, considering you probably saw them for real in the ring and not as four-inch high figures on a tv screen?

Good day at Leopardstown, Shark Hanlon's Mart Lane is an absolute cracking looking horse, as is his Hidden Cyclone who looks like a crack 2 mile chaser in the making, built like a bull.

As for Realt Dubh, I thought he done it well, I thought he idled when he it the front to be honest, cocked his head to the right, than ran on again. I do think he is a lively outsider for the Arkle, he beat a really decent horse in Noble Prince today.

One thing that annoyed me at Leopardstown was the price of food, 24 euro for two steak sandwiches and two cups of tea. If Irish Racing is going through a crisis, charging inflated prices will not encourage first time race goers to return.

Last edited:
In theory I agree with you but he looks special, though I have no formlines with which to back this up. He's apparently going for the Kingmaker so hopefully a few will turn up there.

This is a question and not a dig (I can't think of many) - who fits into the battle hardened camp?

That's a fair enough point. I suppose the first two home today would fit into category, but they are probably good Grade 2 horses who would prefer a bit further than two miles [not necessarily something that has stopped horses winning the Arkle before]...Noble Prince really battled on up the hill last year in the County, and that's always nice to know with a view to backing them in future. I'd like to see him go for the two and a half miler actually.

I just think there's been more depth in the races that the likes of Noble Prince and Realt Dubh have contested, and they've probably got the edge on experience in terms of jumping under pressure etc. Ghizao has also been around Cheltenham twice. You just often see good horses getting knocked off their feet early in the Arkle, and I'd be wary of Finians on that basis. He's done nothing wrong and he can only beat what's put in front of him, but I'd be reluctant to class him as a banker. [Although looking at the betting, I'm surprised that the above post effectively covers the first 4/5 in the market...aside from Mikael...there have been stronger renewals]

Good call today on Realt Dubh and your thoughts on Flat Out! You couldn't have called it much straighter. Hope your boots are filled JD!!;)

Omigod - you got the three heavy hitters of the forum, then. Dunno about put the world to rights, those three would sort the entire universe!

Who was your stand-out horse today, Del, considering you probably saw them for real in the ring and not as four-inch high figures on a tv screen?

Was very dissappointed in Flat Out in the flesh, very small horse, didnt like the look of him at all. Realt Dubh is a real big good looking horse, and was taken enough with Noble Prince, and went and backed him.... Solwhit looked in superb shape before the race as well.

Backed 5 seconds today, none each way... Shocker.

I think the Irish Arkle was a decent enough race. Mr Cracker is a good stick, he is a nice horse who jumps well, and ran a good honest race out in front before being well beaten in the end by the front two.

The horse for the future from today could well be Day Of A Lifetime. He was a very good bumper winner who then flopped for some reason in the Champion bumper at Cheltenham. Today was his first run since, and he did it well in what looked a good race of its type.

The best news from today, though, is that the world has indeed been set to rights by some of your fellow forumites.

I think the Irish Arkle was a decent enough race. Mr Cracker is a good stick, he is a nice horse who jumps well, and ran a good honest race out in front before being well beaten in the end by the front two.

The horse for the future from today could well be Day Of A Lifetime. He was a very good bumper winner who then flopped for some reason in the Champion bumper at Cheltenham. Today was his first run since, and he did it well in what looked a good race of its type.

The best news from today, though, is that the world has indeed been set to rights by some of your fellow forumites.

Probably the best news of the day was the revealing of the champion bumper winner. In fact, we now know what wins the Champion bumper, royal bond, and supreme novice hurdles, as well as the 2013 champion hurdle.

Last edited:
Thanks for the insights into the horses' appearance, JD and Del Boy. Always much more interesting to have the thoughts of people who actually see them.

Some lovely efforts there in the Bumper, all first three, four home likely to be stars of tomorrow. MALT LANE extremely impressive with a good speed kept up all the way, with a gradual winding-up to the finish. He's got a nice light action, too, so that anything softer shouldn't disadvantage him.

While the winner has potential, the second is becoming exposed, as is the third. The fourth could improve as he was difficult beforehand, but with Schrapnel running a stinker, I'm not sure the winner did much in beating a horse that was beaten by Bog Warrior the last day, a 7 year old. The winner is open to improvement and will stay further.

I'd agree with Grey, Day of a Lifetime was impressive but I would be laying him on faster ground.

Oh, well, so much for that theory, then! Perhaps they'll brighten up a bit when they have to do a bit more than chase each other's tails - that has to be boring by now, and it'll be nice to see what happens once obstacles are placed in their way.

Oh, well, so much for that theory, then! Perhaps they'll brighten up a bit when they have to do a bit more than chase each other's tails - that has to be boring by now, and it'll be nice to see what happens once obstacles are placed in their way.

You talking about the four wise men or the horses Kri??:p

Some of us were indeed chasing other tails.

After the bumper, while the rest of us went to see the winner being led in, Cantoris made a beeline to the 2nd placed horse. He had to be restrained from vaulting the hedge and railing in order to help Ms Harrington dismount from her horse, smother her in congratulatory kisses and carry her saddle into the weighroom.

After the bumper, while the rest of us went to see the winner being led in, Cantoris made a beeline to the 2nd placed horse. He had to be restrained from vaulting the hedge and railing in order to help Ms Harrington dismount from her horse, smother her in congratulatory kisses and carry her saddle into the weighroom.

:lol::lol::lol: How many minders will be needed for the stable visit?? A month on the salt peter before the visit maybe the answer.:whistle:

Just wait and see how I react when she is making us breakfast in her pyjames :<3:

Back