Leopardstown (today)

By Nicholas Godfrey 5:01PM 30 JUL 2010 Preview: USA, Saturday 10.48pm BST (live on ATR)
Saratoga: Jim Dandy Stakes (Grade 2) 1m1f, dirt, 3yo
TOP US jockey Garrett Gomez again gets the leg-up for Aidan O'Brien on Saturday when Steinbeckswitches to dirt in the Jim Dandy Stakes at Saratoga, a $500,000 event broadcast live on ATR in Britain.
Gomez has partnered a top-level winner Stateside for Ballydoyle, having ridden Aussie Rules to success in the Shadwell Mile at Keeneland in 2006.
Now he rides Steinbeck in the Jim Dandy, the designated Grade 2 trial for the $1million Travers Stakes, Saratoga's signature race on August 28.
European-trained runners are few and far between at America's oldest racecourse, and the Philip Mitchell-trained Running Stag remains the only winner ever trained in Britain or Ireland thanks to his victory in the Grade 2 Saratoga Handicap in 1999.
Steinbeck, at one time regarded as Ballydoyle's prime Classic hopes, is making a quick reappearance after chasing home Famous Name in the Meld Stakes at Leopardstown last week.
"I'm told he took the journey to New York well and that he is in good form," reported O'Brien.
"We'll see how he goes before deciding what will be next for him. He will be coming home after the race and the Travers Stakes back at Saratoga at the end of August will probably be among the races we will consider."
The son of Footstepsinthesand, who breaks from the inner, is an 11-2 chance with Coral to defeat a field headed by Belmont Stakes runner-up Fly Down (Nick Zito/Jose Lezcano).
"He's coming off a 1½-mile race and you have to do things like that," said Zito, who also saddles Miner's Reserve (Calvin Borel).
"Obviously, we know his fitness level. We're hoping he's a little sharp for the race. He's a very good horse. He looks good."
Todd Pletcher, four times a Jim Dandy winner, saddles allowance-race winner Aikenite (David Cohen), but the trainer's first-choise rider John Velazquez partners the Tony Dutrow-trained A Little Warm.
Afleet Express (Jimmy Jerkens/Javier Castellano) won a hot-looking Grade 3 at Monmouth last time out.
Jim Dandy
Coral: 3 Fly Down, 100-30 Afleet Express, 9-2 A Little Warm, 11-2 Steinbeck, 7 Aikenite, 9 Miner's Reserve, 10 Friend Or Foe, 12 Stormy's Majesty
Saratoga: Diana Stakes (Grade 1) 1m1f, turf, 3yo+ f/m (10.14pm BST, live on ATR)
Forever Together (Jonathan Sheppard/Julien Leparoux), champion turf filly in 2008, bids to complete a hat-trick in this $500,000 event.
Although the 2008 champion turf female hasn't won in five races since last year's success here, she gets a handy 3lb from top weight Proviso (Bill Mott/Mike Smith).
"She's consistently been running in Grade 1 races and the occasional Grade 2," said Forever Together's trainer Jonathan Sheppard.
"If you wanted to be harsh, you could criticize her for not having enough punch, but I don't think that's the case," he said. "She's been the victim of paceless races."
Khalid Abdullah's Proviso, formerly trained by Andre Fabre, is a dual Grade 1 winner since being transferred to the US.
She breaks from the inner as she bids to confirm the form with Phola and My Princess Jess, immediately behind her in the Just A Game at Belmont last month.
Diana Stakes
Coral: 9-4 Forever Together, 3 Phola, 100-30 Proviso, 6 Maram, 10 My Princess Jess, Shared Account, 20 Dynaslew

At the old mans for the weekend so no ATR but from reading Betfair forum, he got absolutely smashed.

Steinbeck runs in a listed race in Killarney tomorrow evening. Looks a 2/7 shot on paper.

Did not expect him to be turning up in this at this stage of the season. Imagine they would like to get a win into him and then eventually sell him off in the clear out.

With a 114 OR he should be fairly easdy to shift abroad. Beethoven. Fencing Master and Steinbeck have all been dissapointing.

Beethoven would be a great buy for America - loves fast ground and takes his racing well. Think there is another good race in him before he moves on (assuming he does). Steinbeck and Fencing Master have been a disaster.

Ballydoyle have sent runners to the Shadwell Turf Mile in the past (Keeneland in October) - they won it with Landseer IIRC so that might be a good race to target Beethoven at.

A desparate attempt to win a graded race before they offload him?

Myself and a big fan and follower of the stable got a good laugh out of the entrx but he was shocked he was confirmed. Looks a desperate move but I look forward to the first show. Finicus is very usefull listed animal and Ask Jack is entitled to a crack at this level.

I feel a bit sorry for Steinbeck. They have messed around with him a bit, but he ran decently enough behind a cracking good and perhaps underrated older horse in Famous Name. He clearly has the other market leader to beat, but I have to feel he will be up to it today.

Getting beaten by Famous Name was no disgrace for Steinbeck but I was very disappointed with his run in America.

I'd agree, but that's what I meant by saying they had messed him about a bit... I suppose you have to try these things, but fear it did him no favours.

Back