Life sucks ...

never any money either!

Just waiting for other half to come home from work so we can take harvey (cocker) to the vets, think he must have had a spat with one of my other dogs when I was out, he has a small puncture wound at the top of his front leg & won't put any weight on that leg!

Too true!

Hope Harvey is okay, poor boy, and not too costly. Hopefully no damage done and a shot of antibiotics will be all that's needed. Fingers crossed!

He only limps when someone is watching him!!

One of our cheaper trips to the vets, a anti B shot & a few anti-imflam/painkillers pills, total cost £38

Hopefully it will heal ok I know puncture bite wounds are notorius for developing infections,I washed it with hibiscrub as soon as I saw it & thats always been brilliant stuff in the past.

Oh, good luck Helen. It was a puncture wound that made our Minnie cat's leg blow up. Hopefully you caught it in time, we did not notice until she was quite bad.

Hmmm ... porridge instead of liver? Ours like cereal too, but liver is fav!

Just come back from the vets again, this time we had to take one of the cats, she started heavy breathing this morning which doesn't bode well, especially as her brother died in the waiting room of the surgery 4yrs ago with the same symptons,
they have admitted her & she is now sat in an oxygen tent to see how she goes, fast heart rate but that could be down to the car journey etc vet counldn't hear her chest as she wounldn't stop purring!!!

Purring can also be a sign of distress (and self-comfort), I'm sorry to say. One of my lovely cats was purring away as if deliriously happy, when she was in fact in the final few hours of life. I can only hope the best for yours, Aldaniti.

Last edited:
A bit of an update,
Jess has had xrays & her heart is normal, they can't see anything on her lungs or other organs,

They are doing bloods as we speak so hopefully will know a bit more later, Apparently the rasping/wheezing noise when she breathes in rather than out which indicates its from pain, never heard that before,

It sounds like they are going down the infection/virus route now as he said she may have pleurisy but that may be a complication of other issues

Pets who'd have em!!!!!!!

Still no results through yet but the good news is that after having some pain meds yesterday she has stopped the rasping noise,

Eating food fine last night aswell so fingers crossed

Well she is home with a course of anti b's & metacam, still a bit wheezy but very bright & eating well,

All blood tests came back neg so its a mystery apart from an infection going on somewhere,

Just a matter of how she responds to the above treatment now

My chumette Carol, who has loads of racing and retired greyhounds, took one to the vet a week ago for some dental treatment, as his halitosis had got to room-clearing proportions. His teeth were descaled, a loose molar removed and he was given a jab of antibiotics. 'Ow much, guv? That'll be £600, please, modom. Ker-chinnngggg!

HOW MUCH ????????? !!!!!!

Ferk me - for that we'd get two c-sections done - and the drugs and call out!!

Tell Carol to write a letter of protest to senior partner, saying that this amounts to quesitonable practice and, if they want to keep her business, they need to revisit their bill. Considerably...

Last edited:
Crikey that seems expensive!

Our vets are quite reasonable,

Her treatment was as follows

Hospital admission 24hrs
Oxygen therapy 4hrs
Xrays x 2
geriatric blood screen
anti b jab
painkiller jab
FIV test
thyroid test
Blood test (infection of something!)
anti b's five days worth
bottle metacam

total £234

All my thoughts on it, too. I can't believe it and registered astoundment, but she said no, that's what it cost. She didn't have that much done to another greyhound a while back and that cost around £700. Maybe some practices just figure if you can spend up to three grand on buying a racing dog, you have bottomless pockets. I will mention what you've said, folks, in case she feels like putting on her Assertive Hat.

Oh sod that, put up with the bad breath! That's what I do - my 13 year old border collie now has rotting teeth but she's not in any discomfort unless you press them hard. At her age I'm not putting her through the stress of taking her to the vets, they'll only want to take out the bad ones then 'descale' and all that bollocks they say they're doing before issuing an enormous bill. Waste of time, money and the amount of stress done to the dog - after all, she may go in her sleep next week and she's quite happy as it is anyway.

Another word on 'pet' vets - as opposed to farm and some equine vets, who deal with customers who know a bit about what's going on and don't have the wool pulled over their eyes so easily - a lot of them seem to capitalise on pet owners and exploit them ruthlessly, especially when they have pet insurance (which takes me off on a tangent - it's criminal when the first thing a vet asks is "is it insured?" What difference does that make?? Oh yes, it means you treble the bill). My Dad's vet must laugh his pants off every time he sees him coming - he's given them fortunes and questioned nothing for a few years now where it comes to his dopey springer spaniels, one of which in particular finds trouble everywhere she goes. HE asked me to look at her paw a while back, as there was a lump there. It looked like a grass seed or something was in there, but she wouldn't let you get close enough to look at it. I told him to keep any eye but to leave it, no point going to the vets as they'll charge fortunes and it'll probably come out anyway, whatever it was. So a few days later he took it to the vets; dopey. They tried sedating her, she still wouldn't let them near it. So - and this is where it gets unbelievable - they booked her in to come in the next morning for a general so they could look at it. They get her under, manage to look at it - there's a neat hole there were whatever was in it has come out. Oh, then a bill for £480. Ridiculous.

It's getting ridiculous - I think you're probably right there, Shadz, and that the urban pet costs one helluva lot more to look over than, say, a working farm dog or other animal. As for insurance, that's another nice little earner. Have your one pet poorly more than a couple of times - I've heard from one person that they've been invited to kindly not renew!

Helen, really hope both your dog and car are okay now. I had a cat who was wheezing like that once, turned out it was an allergy to some spray a neighbour was putting on plants that cats ate. They weed killed right next to long grass, and cats eat long grass.

Kri, you are right, a dying cat will purr. It comforts them when they are nervous.

Vet bills are really daft now. I have walked out of two vets and switched due to us having been taken advantage of when we had 3 elderly cats. Despite horrific tests and massive cost they managed never to diagnose that one of them had severe heart problems and the other was in the final stages of bowel cancer. The first cat died when a blood clot broke free and lodged in a main vein paralysing his back legs. A horrible thing to happen, we should have had him put to sleep, but instead the vet continued to test, prod and cost. The cancer cat was being given meds for having constipation and being old. (!) Finally after we insisted they x-rayed, found a huge mass, insisted on operating and put her down on the table. I was devastated, and too sad and exhausted to kill the vet ..... otherwise ......:mad:

Since then I found a really good country vet who does large animals and has a no nonsense attitude towards small ones keeping their quality of life uppermost, not our bank balance.

Helen - hope your pets are OK and if not, that they pick up soon.

Thankfully we have a lovely vet, who very sympathetically examined our 15 year old tortie cat a few months back, diagnosed her with a tumour deep in her somewhere. We knew she hadn't been herself, but didn't expect that. Took her back in for tests the next day and vet came to the conclusion, she is not suffering and the tumour is not affecting any organs. Was honest enough to tell us that any treatment would not be in the old girl's interest and that we are better off leaving her and she will let us know when her time comes. Just hoping she pops off painlessly in her sleep. In the meantime, she lives the life of riley and her sister continues to rule the roost over all of us slaves!

Much rather they were all honest like that. Is in the best interest of the animal.

How very lucky I am to have had such a wonderful, down-to-earth vet who is in the job for her love of animals and still has respect for the owners who love and care for them.

The biggest bill I ever had from her was £175 for a very delicate operation on a cat's thyroid.

Someone once told me that a doctor's syringe is marked in mililitres but that a vet's is marked in pounds and pence. Reading all your horror stories above makes me realise how very right he was.

My vet Mary once stayed up all night operating on a dog left behind by some travellers because it had been hit by a car. Someone found it tied to a gate and near death's door, called Mary who went to fetch it and then spent all night working to save it's life. She also does a lot of work free or at reduced fees for the local CPL and Canine Defence League.

How lucky Dougal is to have someone like that to look after him.

Came back from Wetherby yesterday [great day out] to be greeted by my whippety dog who seemed really well in herself. An hour or so later she's in her basket, shivering and panting [never seen her pant before] with a dripping nose. Looked it up on line and it said 'if panting and with runny nose take straight to vets'. Late Saturday night, panic sets in. Then start to piece it all together; lots of fireworks had been going off outside; she'd gone outside [has her own run so can go out whenever she likes] in the dark; fireworks go off; she runs into the kitchen and hides in her basked. Later that night, happily on sofa watching telly [sight hounds like nothing better than a night curled up in front of the box] another firework goes off and she's hiding under the S.O's legs. Having been catless for several years, whippets are my cat substitute dog of choice, being more than happy to spend all day curled up on your lap watching the telly.

Back