Life sucks ...

Going by the product spec they need loads of exercise, with variety in their exercise, plus are very strong willed and hard to train. For sedate, numpty owners this doesn't seem the ideal match. We already have two cats, which I doubt would be a problem, and a 14yo Bichon Frise, who I suspect would struggle with a dominant type dog. I believe everyone in the household already has partial deafness due to the sharp piercing relentless barking of the current incumbent, I wasn't overthrilled to see exhuberant barking mentioned as part of the Weimaraner's characteristics.

We probably will get another dog, but I imagine it will be something far less graceful, athletic and magnificent looking than a Weimaraner. Probably something ending in doodle.

:lol::lol:

On the other hand... I did stop (as I am wont to do, pent up, dog and catless in my humble 2nd-floor hovel) a dog-owner t'other day, to inquire of the breed of the beauty. Super-looking animal with a charming face, quite bouncy, too. I was told it was a Labradoodle, the first I've met, and have to admit I liked it a lot. Although how a fully-grown man, as this handler was, manages to admit it without trying to sound extra-butch, I don't know.

My wife knows somebody who trains Goldendoodles as companions for autistic children. On the odd rare occasion, you get one who doesn't quite manage to get his diploma and is shuffled off for public consumption to people who can get in quick enough. These dogs would be immaculately trained as far as a bog standard family pet goes, but might just have some little trait that would make him unsuitable for the job he's trained for. I suppose like a dog for the blind who can't resist chasing cars. I presume they'd need some retraining to be well behaved for the new family but surely the hard job has been done.

I don't know how much it would cost, I'd imagine some contribution would have to be made for the effort put into getting manners on him as well as the actual cost of the dog but as long as the premium wasn't that excessive it would seem ideal for us.

Last edited:
Having had Weis for over thirty years, I would say that, as long as you have chosen the puppy carefully and it's from a good litter with sensible parents, they are no more difficult to deal with than any other breed. Yes, they can be stubborn on occasions and are definitely one of the more clever breeds - they are gundogs after all - but having said that, they love to work - whether it's showing, agility, working trials, just basic training or, of course, ideally working game and if you can fulfill that need, they make wonderful pets. Whichever 'product spec' claims they are 'hard to train' doesn't know what they're talking about - more like the author doesn't know how to train a dog! They love their families beyond anything and are extremely loyal. They only bark (or chew) excessively if left on their own for hours on end and it's all down to the effort you, as owners, are prepared to put in, like any dog in fact.

They do need regular exercise but it's a myth they need hours of it. If you overdo the exercise, all you get is a super fit dog which then becomes hyper if you miss a day or two - very much like a thoroughbred racehorse, in fact. What you want is a pleasantly healthy, 3/4 fit riding horse !

I don't know how old your son is, Melendez but if he's around the 10 yo mark and really does want to have a dog, then you could do an awful lot worse. If you are prepared to encourage your son and let him take his pup to regular training classes so he can be taught alongside the pup how to be a good owner, then likely he'll have 11 - 14 years of tremendous fun with his dog. My own son had his own Weimaraner when he was ten, he helped train her alongside my others but didn't want to show her himself - I did that bit! But even so, Connie always knew that Giles was 'hers', even when he went to boarding school. Minute he came home, she was his shadow. She died three years ago at the grand age of 14 and I know Giles still misses her, event though he's long grown up and left home! He's biding his time til he has his own home and can have his own Wei, as once you've had the breed, you'll never look back.

Songsheet,

I had only had a quick flick around the web and had focused in on the "trainability" section. Is this an unfair generalisation of the breed?

http://www.weimaranerclubireland.org/breed1.htm

Granted they will vary in temperament and as you say, pick one from a nice litter\environment and you're away. If we decided to get one, I can 100% guarantee we would end up with the first one we saw.

He'd have about a 15m x 30m garden to "roam". He'd be left on his own 2-3 hours a day. Realistically would end up with a 45 minute walk 5 times a week or so and will never end up working or in agility trials. It doesn't seem a lot for an athletic looking dog like that? Junior is 13 now so should be able to learn to train and handle him.

Edit: Do they come in different sizes, the one next door looks notably bigger than the ones in the pictures on that website, not quite Great Dane size but not far off. Well maybe a bit far off, but still a good bit bigger.

Last edited:
It's not far off - there's always been a tendency to over-egg the pudding about Weimaraner intelligence in my opinion (I was on the UK version of the Breed Society committee for a few years..) - I seem to have the thicker end of the scale in Weimaraner intelligence in my puppies! But some are very quick indeed which works both against and for you!

However, one of the biggest omissions in the bringing up puppy section is that of the indoor crate or kennel - a very large 'cage' that acts as the best training tool you can buy. If you do have to leave any breed of puppy for 2 or three hours (perfectly acceptable - in fact, desirable imo), then leaving them in this crate protects them and your furnishings from harm...! The essential lesson apart from basic house training your pup has to learn is to be left on their own for certain periods of time, with the reward being that you always come back. Which is what makes them secure and comfortable about being left. So you don't disappear for 2 - 3 hours for first few days - more like 30 mins, increasing the time bit by bit over the week or fortnight. That usually stops excessive barking patterns forming.

You say the pup won't end up doing any form of trialling but don't rule it out as a good hobby for your lad and the dog! A couple of hours training per week at a club plus 'homework' for a short while each day and you'll end up with a well behaved, pleasant dog to live with. 13 is a great age for him to have a dog, no matter what breed, as long as he really is serious about taking on the responsibility and you don't mind making sure he does keep it up and filling in when he obviously isn't able to.

Wei can be on the big side - a bitch might be a better option both size wise and they are usually slightly easier to train. You can always spay her.

Can't emphasise enough how important it is to go to a reputable breeder - you may end up paying 100 - 150 € more but that's peanuts over the dog's lifetime. And that also applies whatever the breed is. Well known kennels who show successfully or trial successfully are usually rigorous about breeding conscientiously. The UK KC has Health schemes in place.

I would thoroughly recommend the litter I am having a puppy from but they do only have dogs available now. I know it's a long way but again, you will have whatever dog you choose as a family member for anywhere up to fourteen years, so a day or so to get a pup really isn't that much in comparison!

Having met Songsheet's Weis over some years, I can vouch for what easy-going animals they are (albeit all properly handled and trained), happy enough to exercise themselves most of the time, equally happy to slouch and try to turn themselves into ickle lap dogs by evening! Amazing how a dog weighing around 70-odd lbs can turn itself into a 'cutesy' little ball and try its best to convince you it's no bigger than a Peke!

On the other hand, someone else I know took on a much smaller Lab/cross which was 9 months old when he took out of the local shelter. He was useless at training her and she was an absolute pest, peeing on furniture where she visited, unruly on the pavements and forever chasing rabbits and birds when off the leash. She jumped on people and refused to even recognise being called, let alone obey the command.

Dogs are pretty much what people make them, as are horses. I don't think there's any such thing as a difficult breed - just unsuitable owners. Not so much cats, because they'll just give you the finger if they don't like the home treatment, and scull off pronto to smarm their way into someone else's heart!

Last edited:
It's a gorgeous day and the Red One is bashing daisies on the lawn. You need to creep up slowly, flat on your belly, plumy tail waving, then launch yourself flat out at the offending plant, giving it a quick, hard swipe as you pass it. Then, make a sharp turn, jump high in the air and land on it before it has a chance to recover and fight back. Sweeeet!

He does look lovely in the sun as his coat is bright white and deep red.

He has been off his feed a bit for the last few days, but I think it is more due to pickiness than anything. His palate gets fed up with cat food having had a streetful of dustbins to range through since kittenhood. Luckily the human buys in some tastier stuff just for such times - current favourite is rice pudding.

Last night The Fluffy (Scruffy?) One stayed in and slept all night as it was a bit cold. When I got up this morning he was still a bit washed out, despite a good 6 hours of sleep. He managed to summon up a bit of life but the heat drove him indoors later, where I found him, on my bed.

He roused enough energy to walk across and ask for a fuss and while I was doing that I noticed that the glands under his neck were up again. As this is where the tumour was localised I thought that I had better get him seen pronto. Just as I was thinking he had a nice rest from the Vet as his next bout of chemo isn't until next Wednesday.

The tiredness this morning had me a little worried, as that was the first sign that I got before his diagnosis that something was not right. Of course, the hot weather only serves to confuse matters as he (now) seems to have been saving his energy to stay out all night.

I had just called the vet and been told to call round at 5.40 when I heard him jump onto the floor upstairs, so I scooted over to the catflap to lock it before he headed out. Unfortunately he saw me doing that and after trying to push the flap open, then tap the red lock as he had seen me do, he realised what was going on and fled in panic to his safe place - my pillow.

Of course, about 20 minutes later, I had to go and take him from his safe place. He looked so pitiful and I feel so bloody awful for doing that. The one person he goes to and the one place where he hides from anything that frightens him (he is very nervy), and that person had to take him out of that place to the dreaded vet's.

Luckily they just checked his glands all over and put him back in his basket, but I don't think he is going to forget this in a hurry.

I have to increase his steroids to nightly again, just as he was beginning to relax into the new regime of alternate nights.

I feel so bloody mean.

Thank you Trudi. It's much appreciated.

I know it's because I care, but the look in his eyes just made my heart twist.

Having a hellish time today. Dougal is terrified of me. Leaves the house when I am in it, sneaks in to eat, then runs when he hears me move.

When I got up this morning I heard the catflap bang and saw him scuttling down the path and into the hedge at the back of the house. Didn't see him at all before leaving for work, so left a large breakfast and a saucerful of cat biscuits out for him.

Got home around 4.30 and he was sleeping draped over the footstool. He woke up when he heard the door and immediately legged it for the catflap.

My biggest dread is that he will leave me the way he did his family before, because he no longer liked living with them. If that happens he won't get his medication and will die.

I'm hoping it's just a sulk, but he really was frightened last night. At least he is still eating and sleeping here - at the moment - but he has to go back for chemo next Wednesday.

I'm thinking about drafting in my mother, whom he adores, to round him up and take him to the vet's, just so that I am not constantly the baddie of the show. Sure, it hurts the pride to think that such a lovely animal hates me, but my biggest worry is that he won't get his medication.

Worried sick.

Just a little thought - how about locking and unlocking the catflap on and off when you're near it - just at random - so that the doesn't come to always associate it with you taking him to Doctor Jekyll? Maybe a little treat after you've done it, to reassure him it's not always into the cage and off for nasties?

Mon plaisir, an' all that! I decided to do that myself when the two ex-feral kitties I had went off for treatment to the vet. I locked the catflap and they immediately went all skeetery round the room - up, down, round the furniture and then, BAM! one of them went galloping at the flap and took the whole thing out of the door with her. I'm not sure which of us was the more traumatised! After that, I decided to just look as if I was messing around with the flap, and do nothing with them. They'd look bug-eyed for a bit, but once they realised I wasn't trying to grab them for the cage treatment, they calmed down and became their usual smarmy selves. Worth a wee try, Redhead, if nothing else.

Last edited:
So sorry to hear about Dougal's latest mis-adventures.

It's tough being the carer and the bad guy and I know how you feel. I think you are very brave and have been really good to him allowing him to carry on as normal as possible with his life even though he is very sick. The temptation to keep him in all the time would be great for me - BUT, I know it would make him unhappy.

I always make mine come in at night, we live near a busy road and they grew up in wild Devon where the road was far away from where they roamed. So no street sense them.

I'm sure you know that cats sense (well, pretty much all animals) when they are going to die and they want to do it their way, privately so they often prefer to leg it somewhere rather than stay with us.

Sounds like he does trust you as he goes to your pillow. Might just take a few days to get trust back again. Must give him extra treats, and fuss. Maybe devise some games with him to play. So that when you are giving him attention its not always to give meds or vet trip.

Mother coming over is a great idea, takes the pressure off you and in his eyes you are friend again.

It's hard ...... I know that look in the eyes too well. I'm sitting here waiting to try to get m y wild and crazy ex fertal stripey scaredy cat in as the other two are fed and bedded, but he legged it when he saw me come ttowards the back door. We don't have a catflap so he is either in, or he's out all night. :(

Its always gutting when you know that the animal does not realise you are helping them, getting your mum in to be the "Baddy" I think is brilliant

Doesn't help that you feel a bit useless as there is nothing you can do but sit & wait hoping that things will work out!

Doing that myself at the moment, sis's baby who is only 6 days old was taken into hospital last night, he has an infection of the umbilical cord but DR's are concerned that he seems to be very sleepy & have decided to run some "tests"
Sis is obviously in a state & is sleeping at the hospital
I await a phone with news!

Oh Helen, that is so very sad.

Bad enough being a cat's mother, but to be an actual mother of a sick baby ...

Your poor sister must be out of her mind with worry.

Please keep me posted.

My thoughts are with you all.

Denise

Good news!

Jacob will be coming out of hospital this afternoon!

He has been on intravenous AB's for near on 48hrs & once that's up he can come home, the dr she saw this morning was rather annoyed at the midwife for telling sis that the pethidine (painkiller) she had during labour would have only made Jacob sleepy for a day or two, he has seen lots of babies who can be sleepy for well over a week & after giving him a check up he has no concerns at all at the moment, if it carried on after about 10 days he asked her to take him to her GP but she won't be doing that as he has really woke up today!!!

I think words will be said this afternoon!

Thanks for the best wishes & the PM from Krizon

Helen

Wonderful news!

Poor midwife. The affects of an anaesthetic can stay in the system for ages.

Just to make you smile: my Dad was hallucinating for 3-4 days after his op. My mother's face was a picture when he told her that the man over on the nurses' station (a nurse) was there to prevent him from escaping as he (Dad) was wanted for murder in Moscow!

Such a relief for you all, I am so glad.

You can sleep tonight!

Tell me about it, when she was in the delivery suite the midwife there told her that Jacob would be sleepy for a few days but when this locum midwife came around to check sis & J at home on Tuesday afternoon she said that it would wear off within two day at the most, she then proceeded to ring the hospital & told them that she was extremely worried about Jacob & that he needs to be admitted to hospital, all this was done infront of sis who was distraught,

I know the medical profession works hard but there was no reason that, this should of happened, in hindsight the dr told sis that the midwife should have told her to take him to her GP,

Still thankfully its over now

LOL that was funny with your dad!

When I have anything done at the dentist I have to be sedated & that really does give me some wacky dreams for a few days!

Phew! That's a relief - he's just a pothead instead, bless him! Best wishes for everyone to now enjoy the wee mite and for everyone's heartbeat to return to normal.

Having Dougal stories withdrawal - how is he?

My crazy and wild feral guy went off his breakfast and began to just go out each morning. I had a bad feeling about where he was going and sure enough he has presented me with a bird. He is funny, if he does not care for what I serve him he goes and gets his own. It makes me sad, but he survived for a couple of years with no help from people so he is quite capable and has his own mind.

He is looking like a Yeti, all ragged fur. I must capture him this weekend and brush him. It takes two of us, we close doors in the cottage, lure him on the stairs and one of us stands below and one above with a crush cage. He goes into it rather than have to be touched by us, very sad. Once in he is most docile and falls asleep while I brush him. I can give him a good check over and then I let him go. He even purred once, but not ouching otherwise, he gives me a really ugly look :mad:, and is gone.

They look so pleased when they present them to you and look quite puzzled when you don't want them. Dougal used to go catch his own if he didn't fancy his food, but tends to do that less these days. (Spoilt!)

It's funny that your lad will take a brushing, but not a stroking. Probably reminds him of Mum.

Dougal's very bright at the moment, thanks Isi. He was jumping around on the lawn after a grasshopper this morning and, after the shower yesterday, played a game of "snail football".

Snail football takes place amongst the herb pots in the back garden, where he likes to sit. Suddenly a movement will catch his eye and he will stand up like a meerkat and peer over the edge of a pot. A snail! The poor snail gets a tap to make it withdraw into its shell and then the fun begins.

Hook a paw under shell and flick, mark where it lands, dance up to it and tap it again. Dribble said shell up and down garden path, then flick it again and keep flicking the poor snail round the garden until it either gets lost amongst the gravel or boredom sets in.

I find myself picturing a dazed and giddy snail inside its shell wondering if it is safe to come out again. It will probably tell its grandchildren about being abducted by an alien and subjected to all sorts of indignities!

Come to think of it, it may be the same snail -an adrenalin-junkie who keeps coming back to look for The Doog in the hope of a game. It's probably a bit like Zorbing. I have a mental picture of it tucked up inside its shell with a crash helmet on!

The Fluffy One and I have reached an understanding about pills. I invite him up onto the footstool, where he sits next to a bag of his favourite treats. Nasty cat-mum gets a pill, wrestles open the jaws of the valiant young cat and thrusts pill down throat. After a short tussle of wills (cat-mum nearly always wins) Dougal swallows and get his treats. He yawned one day and I just threw the pill down - his face was a picture.

He's off to the vet tonight for his monthly dose of chemo, so I shall have to call at the chippy for his fish on the way back - but it's too hot for chips!!!

Can I suggest something to you, Redhead? Give up whatever you're doing now and write books for children, featuring Dougal! His adventures, his poorliness (whatever happens, he will get better in the books) which poorly children can relate to, the wonderful snail football (hilarious - I'm grinning away at the mental image of the snail), with his Mummy in obedient attendance to his many whims and fancies. Seriously, it'd be a great seller if you pitched it to the 4/5/6 y.o. market.

Back