Dream Eater 10/1
Twice Over 10/1
Pressing 10/1
Tariq 12/1
Virtual 12/1
Major Cadeaux 14/1
Alexandros 14/1
25/1 bar

Hardly the most inspiring of Group 1 races but Aqlaam impressed me hugely in the Jersey Stakes last season and he is interesting if connections have him ready. Great chance for Paco Boy here though if he gets home over the straight mile.

Weird how Twice Over ends up in this after they bypassed the Guineas in favour of the Dante last year.

Paco Boy a terrible price for this, he was very workmanlike over weak opposition at Sandown, if it was over 7, he'd be nailed on but I'm not convinced he's a group one miler.

Usual poor lineup for this though, Aqlaam was hugely impressive but will be hard to overcome the absence.

Alexandros interests me if he gets quick ground but he's racked up a hell of a lot of air miles in recent weeks which is a worry. At a bigger price, Perfect Stride isn't without a chance of a place.

I don't think he was workmanlike at all - dossing and giving away weight . 11-10 is very short but he is the only proven proper Group One horse in the field . I don't really get the 1mile reservations he wasn't stopping in the Moulin he was just short of room close home.

He should win comfortably unless Aqlaam has matured spectacularly well from 3 to 4

Ladbrokes Betting:
Paco Boy 11/8
Aqlaam 7/2
Dream Eater 10/1
Twice Over 10/1
Pressing 10/1
Tariq 12/1
Virtual 12/1
Major Cadeaux 14/1
Alexandros 14/1
25/1 bar

Hardly the most inspiring of Group 1 races but Aqlaam impressed me hugely in the Jersey Stakes last season and he is interesting if connections have him ready. Great chance for Paco Boy here though if he gets home over the straight mile.

I suppose the winner will prove to be pretty good, but I agree I'm not counting the days to this one. Tariq has shown some flashes of ability in the past, but I expect you are right that it will be one of the front two. There might be a bit of value in opposing the favourite with Aqlaam.

Didnt think Paco boy was "workmanlike" either. A strangely and continuously underrated horse on this forum

Didnt think Paco boy was "workmanlike" either. A strangely and continuously underrated horse on this forum

I think he's world class and a proper group one horse, but over 7 furlongs.

He'd get absolutely battered against a group one miler. I think they should aim him at the July Cup, a stiff 6f would be much more up his street than a mile.

seems to be a few 7f horses in the race, major cadueax, winker watson, dream eater. could see them going a slow pace & beign run like a 7f race, which would obviously suit Paco Boy. but 11/10 he is not a betting proposition, i wouldnt give up on Winker Watson yet & 40-1 looks nice.

I think he's world class and a proper group one horse, but over 7 furlongs.

He'd get absolutely battered against a group one miler. I think they should aim him at the July Cup, a stiff 6f would be much more up his street than a mile.

Absolutely battered ? Well the best Group 1 miler could only beat him about a length in the Moulin .

For anyone interested, it's been raining lightly all evening (and if it's anything like Salisbury was raining lightly all afternoon) and is now, and has been for a little while, absolutely hacking down.

I seem to remember last year that someone here stated PB was near on a 130 horse..either DO or SB ..might be wrong..so I can't see how thats underestimating him

Over 7f I think most of us think he is a pretty smart tool.

Its a big difference stretching that ability up to a mile though, then again with what he is likely to meet in that division at the moment + a few steady early pace races..could see him nick a few mile races

Saturdays race is pretty poor comparatively..seems to have nose dived in quality over the last 3 years or so...but I get the feeling that Aqlaam will win this and maybe the one mopping the mile races up this year. To say he is progressive is an understatement.

Of the two horses ...on breeding Aqlaam is bred to be a miler and PB is bred to be a 7f horse imo...if its possible to be that exact with breeding :lol:

As has been reported, soft ground at Newbury now, maybe Atlantic Sport could sneak into the places at a big price.

Yesterdays times wouldn't necessarily have pointed to soft ground (far from it) but there were a few oddities involved that would point to a tail wind in the straight (which I'm struggling to believe) or some alarming rail movements on the round course. If it's rained significantly over-night then all this counts for jack, and as I've said before Newbury isn't normally on the list of serial offenders when it comes to giving out misleading going reports, but I wouldn't be rushing out to back anything on the understanding that its soft just yet.

Pressing had some decent bits of form last year. His runs against Linngari suggest a mile is his best trip.

I`m not opposing the front two, I think one of them should win, but Pressiing is overpriced and should be shorter than Twice Over and Virtual. I make him a solid place bet.

PB has questions to answer now the ground is slower

His only form on slow..soft.. ground was when he was race fit and the others weren't..obviously that was also over 7f

8f on slow ground..are these the conditions he has shown all his improvement on?

couldn't have it on my mind today tbh.

Is it me or is this a piss poor renewal of the race? I don't take too much notice of the Lockinge to be honest, unless something runs in it that I follow, e.g. Russian Rhythm. Is this year's event a really bad one, or is it normally a pretty weak G1? Creachadoir (sp?) won it last year, if I remember correctly.

Not that enamoured by the field and if I was to back one against them it would be the Godolphin horse. The first thing that people probably see is his poor Guineas placing and his form with today's market principle at this track. But in a weakish field: two G1 placings, one on soft ground reads well. In fact he has plenty of good French form where there is cut.

I'm not sure he is a 14/1 shot, but that is as much to do with my doubts about some of the others.

I think there have been far worse Group Ones than this, Paco Boy clearly the best in the race but although I think he gets a mile, will he get it well enough in this ground against this calibre of opposition? I'd rather not pay to find out. Alexandros looks too big for me, the race didn't pan out for him last time and his form is of International Group One standard.

Not that enamoured by the field and if I was to back one against them it would be the Godolphin horse. The first thing that people probably see is his poor Guineas placing and his form with today's market principle at this track. But in a weakish field: two G1 placings, one on soft ground reads well. In fact he has plenty of good French form where there is cut.

I'm not sure he is a 14/1 shot, but that is as much to do with my doubts about some of the others.
Nearly. Very nearly.

Back