Meeting John McCririck

I haven't seen Mac in quite some time, and I confess I was a little shocked on watching these.

Mac has lost a lot of weight, and there was a certain 'doddery' quality about him. Age seems to be catching-up with him, which is a shame to see.

Errr no.

I like Big Mac even if he does talk tripe most of the time.

Good interviews. It's a change to see him speaking reflectively without the old shouting and grandstanding [no pun intended] (although there's still plenty of flashes of it).

Sad to see him decline so quickly but very interesting interviews.

Last edited:
Really enjoyed watching those Simon, well done and cheers.

Love him or loathe him, he's a character and has had an interesting life. As previously said, it was good to hear him without the usual tv sensationalism.

He does look different, but that hopefully is just age and the weight loss that comes with that.

Seems that Big Mac is seriously ill, regardless of the views of some, the majority of racing people are thinking of you Big Mac.

RIP.

A big part of my life, watching him on TV whilst growing up and despite his Marmite persona he was truly passionate about the sport and played as big a part in keeping it in the media during a fairly quiet spell as the vast majority.

I was surprised and impressed by the extensive coverage of his passing on the BBC news this evening. Like him or not, it seems he really was one of the very few racing people with a profile in the wider world.

Condolences to those who were close to him.

Last edited:
Remember standing beside him at Royal Ascot 1993; he was a picture of ill health even that long ago.
Like him or not, he raised his profile along with that of racing in a way few have done since.
Rest in Peace.

The last time i was stood near him at the races he was dressed like a tramp and he stunk like one, he was always stuffing his fat face in the free food canteens and swanned about like he owned the place, Barney Curley told him some home truths on live Tv a few years back, look on you tube its stiill there .

Is there any chance Boris could be palmed off with becoming the next McCririck rather than the next PM?

The last time i was stood near him at the races he was dressed like a tramp and he stunk like one, he was always stuffing his fat face in the free food canteens and swanned about like he owned the place, Barney Curley told him some home truths on live Tv a few years back, look on you tube its stiill there .

You weren't a fan Splodge?.

Remember standing beside him at Royal Ascot 1993; he was a picture of ill health even that long ago.
Like him or not, he raised his profile along with that of racing in a way few have done since.
Rest in Peace.

No one will do it again either. Bit of a berk, but a one off and he done much more for the game than he'll ever be given credit for

Imagine making it your business to get out of bed at 8am on the weekend because a programme was that good.

And central to it all was Mac, with what it says in the papers. Knew a bit about betting too..

A one off is right. Rip.

You weren't a fan Splodge?.

Nah, that's nothing compared to the heart felt affection and deep personal remorse expressed by Shadow Leader at the sad passing of Clement Freud. If you want to see what a true and sincere eulogy looks like I suggest you dig it out. It remains the undisputed Talking Horses benchmark, unsurpassed for its warmth and generosity to the man's memory as she eloquently guides us through a long list of his personal qualities and the fond memories she had of him

Nah, that's nothing compared to the heart felt affection and deep personal remorse expressed by Shadow Leader at the sad passing of Clement Freud. If you want to see what a true and sincere eulogy looks like I suggest you dig it out. It remains the undisputed Talking Horses benchmark, unsurpassed for its warmth and generosity to the man's memory as she eloquently guides us through a long list of his personal qualities and the fond memories she had of him

I saw the great man a few times punting furiously in the Hills shop in Wardour Street-have no doubts SL was spot on.

Back