Melbourne Cup 2008

Egan has acted like a complete idiot. Of course the vets have to do their job.
I'm surprised really after the horse's last terrible run they are running him at all...
Would love to know the 'politics' behind the whole thing! No doubt having got him there (and no doubt having suggested the target), the trainer is under a lot of pressure to run the horse; Uplands is run as a business these days.

I saw reports of expected rain up to 1/4 of an inch on Monday with showers on Tuesday morning.

Profound Beauty a big mover in the last few days.

I was there when Makybe Diva won her first. Holy Orders made a holy show of us that day but I got out on a Danehill colt in the last. Hopefully Profound beauty can improve my poor record in this race.

Profound Beauty has reportidly being working the house down on the track since she arrived. I still have my doubts about her, including her getting the trip. Should love the firm ground though.

Have just been doing the form this morning. The following horses are the only ones to have won over 3000m or further:

* Septimus
* Honolulu
* Ice Chariot
* Varevees
* Prize Lady

Unfortunately, Zarita, who I was going to back has now been scratched this morning due to coming down with an infection.

I have decided to back Mad Rush, Zipping (sentimental reasons), Moatize and for value Bauer.

Does anyone actually believe O'Brien/Derrick Smith when they say they are considering pulling Septimus? It seems to have worked though, with the Racing Victoria mouthpiece pointing out that they will indeed be watering tonight and Monday night!

I do believe them - it can be like a road there and horses' legs do get knackered, or so I've read over the years. Why would they risk it? - well I suppose we have to remember George, but then I don't think AOB would ever want to go through something like that again

If it was a ploy, well good for him!

I've backed Septimus but not for very much - I'm starting to get a feeling about Bauer though!

I think they would defo pull him if they thought the ground would jar him up. He's had his problems in the past.

Barbaricus for me - good run behind All The Good in the Caulfield Cup and then on Saturday in the McKinnon. There'll be an O'Brien on the MC Trophy this year, it just won't be Aidan.

Back