Melbourne Cup

Gai Waterhouse into bleeding her horses.
She would be tarred and feathered here for that.
She reminds me of Margaret Thatcher in mannerisms.
A great race, a great occasion always.

Read that alright, cut the jugular! How would they stem the flow after that? Stitches? The tree huggers would be up in arms in the UK over that!

Last edited:
Read that alright, cut the jugular! How would they stem the flow after that? Stitches? The tree huggers would be up in arms in the UK over that!

They would heal themselves once tourniquet is released.
It improves condition no end as you are stimulating bone marrow to do what it does best as well as filtering out any circulating toxins.
It was a traditional form of treatment and conditioning (before steroids etc!) used in all livestock.
Veterinary Colleges have museum displays of blood letting knives of all shapes and sizes.

They would heal themselves once tourniquet is released.
It improves condition no end as you are stimulating bone marrow to do what it does best as well as filtering out any circulating toxins.
It was a traditional form of treatment and conditioning (before steroids etc!) used in all livestock.
Veterinary Colleges have museum displays of blood letting knives of all shapes and sizes.

Outdated, barbaric practice. It's consigned to a museum display for a reason.

An ex mod on here claimed he couldn't train pigs to be dirty.

Well after the way he campaigned 2 of her home-bred horses, I think she had every right.

And having had several friends work for him, all saying the same, I think they would be in agreement with the above. In fact a new vet to our local practice told me he was the reason she left the racing industry having worked for him.

An ex mod on here claimed he couldn't train pigs to be dirty.

So how do you know how much of his expertise has gone into RED CADEAUX?!

Most trainers if they get a good horse can manage to train it - it's those trainers that consistently get decent results with less talented horses that are proper trainers - Ed Dunlop isn't one of them. Which may be why a couple of his long time owners have jumped ship recently.....!

But you carry on, Luke, bringing the subject back up - it obviously bugs the hell out of you :lol:

I know nothing about Ed Dunlop as a person, but I think these achievements speak for themselves.

Red Cadeaux, rated 120, 7 wins, earnings £3.3m
Joshua Tree, 115, 7 wins, £2.4m
Snow Fairy, 124, 8 wins, £3.9m
Ouija Board, 121, 10 wins, £3.5m

How many European horses have won more nice races and more money than these?

How many European horses could have won more nice races and money than these?

I think the Joshua Tree figure might be total career earnings but even so Dunlop has a phenomenal record as an international trainer.In terms of international earnings over the last 5 years how many European trainers can compete with him.
I'm not sure if bitching about trainers who have achieved on the world stage has any place on this forum.

He has done exceptionally well with a few horses but his overall day to day domestic performance is appalling.

I'm not sure if bitching about trainers who have achieved on the world stage has any place on this forum.

I'd say harking back and bitching about old posts is also a questionable pastime on this forum but it obviously has appeal for you. :whistle:

Back