Melbourne Cup

archie

Senior Jockey
Only gone back a couple of months so apologies if this is a duplicate.

Withhold needs to win the Geelong Cup on Wednesday to be sure of a run.

I'll admit to having him for the big race but I'm a fan and 15/8 looks a huge price for Geelong.

A real shame for the horse and connections of Withhold as he bled from both nostrils when fading in the straight and as a result gets an automatic 3 month Aussie ban that rules him out of the Melbourne Cup.

I was really impressed with Finche in this. He stayed on well to the line having been forced wide at the final bend in what looked a perfect prep. He obviously has plenty of speed for this type of comtest after easily lying up with the (albeit slow) pace and his good European 12f form and with Frankel as his sire - plus the way he finished off today - I would be hopeful of the increased distance.

He's now in in good hands down under so I took the 50/1 4 places straight after this morning's race and he's shortened considerably since - though still some 40s in a place - but that'll be partly because of Withhold being out of the race.

I don't usually bet in this race, but I am hoping for some good old beginners luck. The Hughie Morrison trained Marmelo is a major Melbourne Cup chance. This will start a single figure price on the night I reckon. Take the 14's and thank me on Wednesday. If anyone knows how I can watch the race live please give me the details. Can I watch it through placing a bet on a UK betting site?

Last edited:
Every year we run a sweep and my friend who's married in Australia has had a Thai girlfriend for years.

That aside our sweep is worth about 300 quid to the winner and the girlfriend wins it.

Very drunk she's jumping up and down all exited and my mates phone rings...It's his wife from Australia ''Darling I won the sweep"

The look on his face was priceless.........Anyway their idea of the winner is Best Solutions...but then they are accountants.

I don't usually bet in this race, but I am hoping for some good old beginners luck. The Hughie Morrison trained Marmelo is a major Melbourne Cup chance. This will start a single figure price on the night I reckon. Take the 14's and thank me on Wednesday. If anyone knows how I can watch the race live please give me the details. Can I watch it through placing a bet on a UK betting site?

Isnt it live on ATR

A real shame for the horse and connections of Withhold as he bled from both nostrils when fading in the straight and as a result gets an automatic 3 month Aussie ban that rules him out of the Melbourne Cup.

I was really impressed with Finche in this. He stayed on well to the line having been forced wide at the final bend in what looked a perfect prep. He obviously has plenty of speed for this type of comtest after easily lying up with the (albeit slow) pace and his good European 12f form and with Frankel as his sire - plus the way he finished off today - I would be hopeful of the increased distance.

He's now in in good hands down under so I took the 50/1 4 places straight after this morning's race and he's shortened considerably since - though still some 40s in a place - but that'll be partly because of Withhold being out of the race.

Finche the one for me too. Well done getting 50/1. Now 20s best

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Me too; I did rather go off Mr Koukash until I recently read an article about him that changed my opinion. I think I rather thought of him a s a bit of a bully but when you're had to fight to survive the way that he has you have to be very strong. I'll certainly be cheering Magic Circle home tomorrow morning; I like the trainer also. Ditto Nakeeta. It's going to be a long night!

I'm hoping that Marmelo can put last years race behind him, but still want Magic Circle to win. Youngstar might do well. I LOVE the Melbourne Cup. We've always planned to go to it but it's too long to leave the dog in kennels...

Just watched the video.

Hindsight is wonderful but CC must have been a bit of a certainty to have overcome his draw and come from stone last at one point on the first circuit to win going away from some clearly smart animals.

Previous defeats when carrying my money all forgiven now!

To be honest, I backed him because I'd have backed him in the Leger if he'd been eligible.

Back