Melling Chase - Aintree Friday

4.55 Mirage D'Or will handle the ground, which several fo the 'form horses' inc Kayf Aramis and Andytown probably won't. Others which will at a good price are Giles Cross and Time For Rupert, who are both relativley fresh as well

Yesterdays race times didn't necessarily suggest that it as as fast as the going description (about half description slower). I'd expect it to be Good today though. I don't know enough about riding horses, but Isusepct that driving one up a hill for 3 furlongs takes more out of jock and requires greater strength than riding one out on a flat course? I'll risk that Mirage Dore will be good enough to carry Mrs Dob today, and if he can't do it, then his class should see him place. For all intents and purposes he could be assessed as a Coral winner as Ninetieth Minute was well in at the weights and probably won because of Flood versus Dobbin. Mind you, if I believe that, then i should be taking a positive view of Pause and Clause too, (but can't quite do so)

Goiod thinking!

Just to say, I hope Dom Elsworth gets the spare ride on Kilbeggan Blade after that! Well, mosty of you know my opinion of C Egerton, let's say his decision this week has not improved it

Why ? He can't invent a fast pace if there isn't one and he was done by a horse further back than him .

I thought Ruby was brilliant yet again on Big Buck's yesterday.

Presenting does get some fine horses! What a specimen.
Interesting result since almost all of Killyglen's form is on Soft

Another cracking race, but what on earth have they been feeding Schindlers Hunt??

I know amazing run from him again . Nacarat will be a true test back round Kempton for Kauto .

VPU what a game horse though - probably not as his very best but so game and

Jim McGrath - Schindler's Hunt is the danger - :rolleyes:

What a finish, what a horse! Tough on Schindler's Hunt but Voy Por jsut wanted it that bit more maybe?
Great to see Choc look up for the WP, puff out his cheeks, and have another go...!

Tidal Bay is completely gone off the game now.

VPU is tough horse but if Schindlers Hunt had of jumped the last two rather than taking them (particularly the second last) by the roots he would have won....but as Songsheet said earlier, jumping is the name of the game.

Agreed, great credit to Schindlers for not throwing in the towel after those mistakes - a very honest horse who gave us all a great thrill

VPU is tough horse but if Schindlers Hunt had of jumped the last two rather than taking them (particularly the second last)

Tidal bay is GONE alright. Mick Fitz: Tidal Bay is travelling a dream.....What race was he watching??

Same fence as Denman yesterday! UG's comments ringing truer by the minute.

Schindler's Hunt, whilst doing well to run so well after mistakes, didn't look like he wanted to put his head in front to me.

Great race to watch. Was sure Nacarat had them coming round the bend.

Possibly but VPU was holding him all the way to the line and VPU made a significant mistake down the back too.

VPU is tough horse but if Schindlers Hunt had of jumped the last two rather than taking them (particularly the second last) by the roots he would have won....but as Songsheet said earlier, jumping is the name of the game.

Terrific race:<3:

Effing cameraman for BBC!! at least he's stopped following the leaders...

for many of the fences inc the first three (ie inc the Chair) the cameraman followed the leaders instead of the keeping the camera on the jump! Absolutely infuriating... then someone must have told him, because he stopped for the main part of the race - then did it again a bit. Overt these fences of all jumps! arrggh

If the BBC cameramen have so little understanding of what they are filming, their loss next year will be no loss

Last edited:
I know amazing run from him again . Nacarat will be a true test back round Kempton for Kauto .

VPU what a game horse though - probably not as his very best but so game and

Jim McGrath - Schindler's Hunt is the danger - :rolleyes:

I think Kauto would eat Nacarat alive at his best.

I suspect Kauto would indeed beat him comfortably at his best but Nacarat looks likely to be more of a threat than Alberta's Run ! I also think the horse is improving .

My initial reaction was that VPU was right back to his best and that Schindler's had run surprisingly well. I was obviously urging Nacarat home and thought he had them stone cold turning for home and was feeling very smug. When the others collared him I started thinking this is a brilliant finish to a brilliant race.

However, they ran very close to Cheltenham form, which I didn't rate that highly, so I'm wondering if Nacarat was below his Kempton form today in spite of racing and jumping with his usual flair. Or maybe I've gone too high with my Kempton figures. What does this form say about Imperial Commander?

Either way, VPU still isn't in the same kind of form as last season.

Back