Memories of former members

jinnyj

Senior Jockey
I meant to post this yesterday but got distracted. For those of you who remember, Merlin the Magician would have been 80 yesterday. I got a memory up on Facebook and so looked back at his page and realised the significance. I reckon he would have been thrilled to have shared his birthday with the Grand National and the 50th anniversary of Red Rums first triumph.

Merlin aka John Rickards wasn’t everyone’s cup of tea and had a thread on here where he posted some awful jokes. I met him several times, usually at Chepstow races, after initially meeting him at Alan Morgan’s Memorial race at Lingfield. He had a brother Terry who also posted on here and is long gone too. I used to call them the Barji Brothers after that Lingfield meeting where they consumed a plateful between them after which the aroma lingered :lol:.

I meant to post this yesterday but got distracted. For those of you who remember, Merlin the Magician would have been 80 yesterday. I got a memory up on Facebook and so looked back at his page and realised the significance. I reckon he would have been thrilled to have shared his birthday with the Grand National and the 50th anniversary of Red Rums first triumph.

Merlin aka John Rickards wasn’t everyone’s cup of tea and had a thread on here where he posted some awful jokes. I met him several times, usually at Chepstow races, after initially meeting him at Alan Morgan’s Memorial race at Lingfield. He had a brother Terry who also posted on here and is long gone too. I used to call them the Barji Brothers after that Lingfield meeting where they consumed a plateful between them after which the aroma lingered :lol:.

Yes, his jokes were awful and he occasionally sent me some emails containing blue jokes/images, which I have to say made me a wee bit uncomfortable. Maybe he thought we were all 'blokes together'.

Terry used the pseudonym The Cardiffian if that helps people remember him.

Too many of the people from the old C4 forum have either left us for the eternal or just don't visit/post any more but I suppose that's how fora evolve.

Last edited:
Yes, he was not without his faults, who is, but always came across as a very generous and warm and helpful chap. And, as for Diamond Geezer, well what a loss. Another who did so much for this forum. And he, too came across as a lovely chap.

I never met him but do miss Roger about the forum

Yes I got a FB reminder recently about his birthday. I exchanged communication with him off the forum and he seemed a genuinely decent fella. I always thought it was a shame that he didn't punt because he was either a brilliant judge or was getting top-class information, possibly the latter with people in the know willing to share inside info with him knowing he didn't punt.

I do hope Harry [Davies?] is still around. We met at Cheltenham and immediately hit it off despite his being a good bit older.

So many cherished memories of lovely people. I also hope Pebbles is still looking in. She was/is the loveliest person too.

Last edited:
Yes I got a FB reminder recently about his birthday. I exchanged communication with him off the forum and he seemed a genuinely decent fella. I always thought it was a shame that he didn't punt because he was either a brilliant judge or was getting top-class information, possibly the latter with people in the know willing to share inside info with him knowing he didn't punt.

I do hope Harry [Davies?] is still around. We met at Cheltenham and immediately hit it off despite his being a good bit older.

So many cherished memories of lovely people. I also hope Pebbles is still looking in. She was/is the loveliest person too.

Did Pebbles visit Las Vegas by any chance l have seen a lady by the name of Pebbles on a Las Vegas message board .

She's still posting regular on it .

Last edited:
Back