Mick Channon

tetley

At the Start
I've received a text saying Mick has been involved in a serious car accident but cannot find anymore info. Can anyone confirm if this is true?

Just read this on a football forum - apparantly it was on Sky Sports News but they said his condition was "serious but not life-threatening".

From Sporting Life:

Trainer Mick Channon is in a "stable" condition in hospital after being involved in a serious car crash.
The Lambourn handler and former England footballer is in hospital in Nottingham after being injured in the crash on the M1 near the city early on Thursday.
The West Ilsley trainer and his son Jack were returning to their Berkshire base from the Doncaster sales.
Channon's injuries are not life-threatening, but it's believed he may have a broken arm. His son has already been released from hospital.
A stable spokesoman told sportinglife.com: "He is in a stable condition, it's not life-threatening. We believe he may have a broken arm, but in the scheme of things that's not as bad as it could have been."

TRAINER Mick Channon is recovering in hospital today following a car crash on the M1 last night, in which bloodstock agent Tim Corby was killed.

Channon is believed to havesuffered a broken jaw, but his injuries are not life-threatening. His son, Jack, is believed to have rib injuries.

A stable spokeswoman said: "He will be fine. It's not life-threatening or anything like that but he does have some broken bones and he'sstable.

"The crash was on the M1 around the Leicester-Nottingham area and while it was a bad crash, in the grand scheme of things it's very mendable."

Corby, who bought this year's Champion Hurdle hero Katchit for 15,500gns, is understood to havebeen the driver of the vehicle involved in the fatal accident.

Quite amazingly insensitive report from the RP too. Reminds me of the old classic "Earhtquake in Mexico. No Britons injured."

Very sad day, Mick has broken his arm and punctured his lung. Tim Corby was a very sound man and was a lovely bloke that anyone could have cared to have known. A real life and soul and had been working alongsides Mick for many years. Was ever present on the gallops and always was racing. He set up the Box 41 syndicate and had his own horses such as Katchit and so forth. A very sad day for the Channon team and my thoughts are with the late Tim Corby's long standing partner Sheila.

Agreed Grey ~ very sad news and odd reporting; quotes attributed to Channon's staff are very odd given how involved Tim Corby was in various aspects of the operation.

CHANNON TO UNDERGO SURGERY

Mick Channon will undergo surgery after being seriously injured in a crash in which a life-long friend died.
The Lambourn trainer, 59, and son Jack, 15, were both hurt when the vehicle in which they were travelling crashed on the M1 on Wednesday as they returned to their Berkshire home.
The ex-Southampton and England star's friend, 63-year-old racing agent Tim Corby, of East Ilsley, Berks, died in the crash.
Channon and his youngest son were taken to Nottingham's Queen's Medical Centre for treatment. The trainer had a "tough old night" in intensive care after suffering broken ribs, a broken arm, a fractured jaw and a punctured lung, said son Michael Channon, 33.
He will undergo surgery on Friday to pin bones in his arm and have his jaw wired.
Jack Channon was left "battered and bruised" but was not seriously injured. He is undergoing medical checks as a precaution, his brother said.
Michael Channon, a video producer, said: "We have been petrified and worried and absolutely out of our wits worrying about our own family. But as for the Corbys, our hearts really go out to them.
"Tim was a friend of Mick's for over 30 years. He was a renowned figure in the racing scene who was universally popular in the industry and he will be sorely missed by the residents of East and West Ilsley, all of his many friends, and most of all the Corby family."
Mr Channon said Mr Corby leaves wife Sheila and daughter Adriana.
He added: "Mick is conscious and able to talk from his hospital bed and he's absolutely devastated at the loss of Tim.
"His heart goes out to Sheila and Adriana."

Very sad news indeed. I'm trying to remember the name of that tough old sprinter he had that Mick trained.

County man who died in Channon accident named by police

A local man died at the scene of a car crash on the M1 in Leicestershire yesterday.
Tim Corby, 63, owner of Ranway Stud in Titchmarsh, was in a Silver Mercedes with trainer Mick Channon and his son Jack when the vehicle left the motorway and collided with a concrete pillar.

Mr Corby was confirmed dead at the scene of the crash, on the southbound carriageway at junction 24, and Mr Channon and his son were taken to hospital.

The crash happened at 4.19pm.

The trio are believed to have been on their way back from the Doncaster Sales.

"Earhtquake in Mexico. No Britons injured."

Judging by the spelling, i pesume that was in the Guardian

I did like the famous Times one... Fog in channel..continent isolated

But either way...very sad news. Really do wish all the best for Mick and family...

Very sad news indeed. I'm trying to remember the name of that tough old sprinter he had that Mick trained.

County man who died in Channon accident named by police

A local man died at the scene of a car crash on the M1 in Leicestershire yesterday.
Tim Corby, 63, owner of Ranway Stud in Titchmarsh, was in a Silver Mercedes with trainer Mick Channon and his son Jack when the vehicle left the motorway and collided with a concrete pillar.

Mr Corby was confirmed dead at the scene of the crash, on the southbound carriageway at junction 24, and Mr Channon and his son were taken to hospital.

The crash happened at 4.19pm.

The trio are believed to have been on their way back from the Doncaster Sales.

He had the following, I used to look after Chevy. Checkit was his best.

Diggit
Missit
Cheverak Forest
katchit
Muffit
Innit
In Transit
Fly It
Bold Cheverak
Checkit
Arfinnit
Crimson Flame
Limit

No. I did the search on rp so it must be further back than that, I remember him winning at the Curragh and I followed him after that. I think he raced till he was nine. He won at least once a year and liked a cut.

Yellow and black seems, black cap. Tims were Purple, Gold Hoop and Black hat.

My old boys ran at the Curragh alot, Millennium Force, Muchea and Nights Cross.

Innit won in France and did run at the curragh in a sales race once.

Tim was one of those guys who had great jokes to tell, would buy anyone a drink and have a good time with. I spent 3 months with him and Sheila in Dubai a few years ago, we were only reminicing the times we had at Bath a few weeks ago. Its a really sad day to anyone associated with the Channon yard.

Alan Ball and Tim Corby in the space of a year. Very sad times.

Last edited:
I was thinking about Muchea, I mistakenly thought Tim owned him but I think he used to race in blue. He was a great bit of stuff.

Muchea was owned by two or three owners in his time but never by Tim. When he returned from Hong Kong, Wendy his old lass left and I got him. He gave me many amazing day's did all Muche, he stands as a stallion in Ireland now.

I find it terrible that the Sporting Life report fails to mention Tim Corby. RIP

In all fairness, the news about Tim Corby wasn't released until around midday so the article was more than likely written before then since the crash itself had already been widely reported.

As I understand it, news couldn't be given to Tim Corby's wife til this morning so maybe when news first leaked out about the crash that bit about TC being killed was held back out of kindness, and that may be how that odd bit of reporting came about

Terrible for all concerned, and as Chris says for all connected to the Channon yard. Condolences, our thoughts are with them all

Yes, Chris, commiserations.

I can see how the Sporting Life might have done what they did, but they should have amended their story asap. The version I'm referring to was still on their site after Colin's post on here.

Back