Moment In Racing

Totally agree, Gal. I was getting goose-bumps on the arms seeing that race again.

I still think the distant roar you hear from the stands, as Moscow jumps to the front down after the Railway Fences in that Tingle Creek, is marginally louder though. :)

Shame the tossers in charge of such things have seen fit to deprive us of the footage from Sandown. :mad:

Totally agree, Gal. I was getting goose-bumps on the arms seeing that race again.

I still think the distant roar you hear from the stands, as Moscow jumps to the front down after the Railway Fences in that Tingle Creek, is marginally louder though. :)

Shame the tossers in charge of such things have seen fit to deprive us of the footage from Sandown. :mad:

The Sandown race in itself is better, but at Cheltenham the way Barry G asks for a big one to jump into the lead and the reponse of the crowd at the same moment is just electric.

Remember at the time when the intelligencia were confident that he was too old at 11 and that no horse in 30 years regained the champion chase. I dont think I have spent more time watching any one horse, and to my mind, he was three months over the hill then. He couldnt dismiss Well Chief with the same indolent only-doing-enough attitude as at Sandown. It was hard work that day at Cheltenham. The Tingle Creek was his peak, and Barry kicking on the crown of the bend would be my Moscow moment.

Some call him the most stylish jockey of his generation. Others believe him to be the best jockey in history. To others still, he will always be Ted's son, but to me he will always be Ruby "we'll never finish behind him again" Walsh.

Last edited:
Remember at the time when the intelligencia were confident that he was too old at 11 and that no horse in 30 years regained the champion chase. I dont think I have spent more time watching any one horse, and to my mind, he was three months over the hill then. He couldnt dismiss Well Chief with the same indolent only-doing-enough attitude as at Sandown. It was hard work that day at Cheltenham. The Tingle Creek was his peak, and Barry kicking on the crown of the bend would be my Moscow moment.

Some call him the most stylish jockey of his generation. Others believe him to be the best jockey in history. To others still, he will always be Ted's son, but to me he will always be Ruby "we'll never finish behind him again" Walsh.

Remember listening to Ruby get interviewed at the end of that season and someone pointed out that he had never seen Walsh so gutted after a race as he was in the Tingle Creek. Walsh replied along the lines that going into the race he thought Azertyuiop was a Champion over 2 miles but when he crossed the line he knew he had ran into a "monster" in Moscow.

Not only was he a brilliant gelding but to me he was the most charismatic horse I have lived to see...a champion in every sense.

Last edited:
Geraghty's look back is brilliant. He had told Jessie he was going to do it before the race. The old horse against the reigning QM winner and the previous seasons Arkle winner. 2/1 was widely available on the day. Thats what i call a recession busting price

Corals went 5/2 at the 5-Day stage. I well remember having the craic with TDK about the rick, and as I recall, I may have pulled his leg about it several times since. :D

Agree with the comments about Moscow Flyer's charisma. He definitely carried an aura of invincibility.

Anyone give a shit about Gareth's Breeders Cup tape?

Didn't think so.

:D

Great pick from Gareth.

Fantastic Light vs Galileo in the Irish Champion was the best flat race for me. Stood watching it with friends who wouldnt be the biggest fans. I had told them that i wasnt having a bet but from a value perspective the only bet that you could have was FL to win or Bach (I think) without the top two. As they came into the final furlong I realised I was cheering and i had to take a second to cop on that I wasnt really cheering for either of the two horses. Strange feeling.

Giants Causeway's Eclipse and Tiznow's first BC honorable mentions.

Sir Peter O's commentary as they approach The Chair in the voided National of 1993.

Other than that seeing Al Capone the other week sent shivers down my spine - true greatness.

Back