Moment In Racing

I see Cantoris looking in on this....no prizes for guessing what his highlights are!?!

The roar at the top of the hill in Brave Inca's champion hurdle will long live in the memory. He was a hot fav and took on Hardy at the ttop of the hill. I can't find it on youtube.

I think you can also include the Supreme. Little did we know that day that two years later the first and second would win the champion hurdle and gold cup and the inca's previous victim in the Deloitte won the Champion Chase.

That's one way of putting it. I've only come to appreciate with the other horses now how lucky we were with Brave Inca that we got four years of uninterrupted racing with him. No injuries. Never missed a days work in four years other than his summer breaks. God I can't get some of the others to the track!! No jock confirmed yet. Will be a policy of best available as before so you can guess the list starting by those that have ridden him before.

1984 Arkle between Bobsline and Noddy's Ride and Istabraq's first Champion Hurdle for me.

Still get goosebumps watching those two coming down the hill and remember feeling the hair on the back of my neck go up as Istabraq quickened away - but didn't appear to be doing much at all. Electric!

Limestone Lad vs Baracouda vs Iris's Gift....coming down the hill at Cheltenham in their Stayers Hurdle. Baracouda coming back on the bridle, Limestone Lad boxing on and Iris's Gift cruising...it was a race everyone was waiting for and while I think it disappointed a little in the end (LL faded more than expected) for that moment it really looked like the race was on!

Hardy's second champion Hurdle. The 3 best 2 mile hurlers coming over the final hurdle fairly equal. Carberry trying his best not to pull the trigger on Harchi until the last possible moment, and hardy and BI giving their all to get up the hill. Brilliant stuff

Remittance Man defeating Katabatic & Waterloo Boy in the 1992 Champion Chase has always been my favourite national hunt race. It was billed as ''Man vs boy'' and in the end Katabatic split the two of them in a great finish.

Gloria Victis slamming the 2000 Racing Post Chase field was incredibly exciting. The way the horse attacked his fences and relentlessly galloped his rivals into the ground was a joy to watch.

Moscow Flyer vs Azertyuiop vs Well Chief in the Tingle Creek Chase. To have three such outstanding horses around at the same time was speical. Hearing the crowd roar when MF hit the front over the railway fences really got the pulse racing.

Desert Orchid drawing clear in the home straight to win his fourth King George was fantastic.

On the flat I'd pick out Arazi's astonashing BC Juvenile victory.

HTML:
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=2SMQUzR7H_A
HTML:

Also, Zafonic's amazing performance to win the 1993 2,000 Guineas, especially the moment in the race when Graham Goode says in commentary '' Zafonic on the left is absalutely pulling double!''. He like everyone else couldn't really believe what they were seeing at the time!

The 1989 Queen Elizabeth II Stakes is a forgotten gem. It was the undefeated Zilzal vs the undefeated Polish Precedent for the title of champion miler. When they turned into the home straight first and second it was set for great finish. In the end Zilzal put in a performance of extremely high class miler to draw away from his French rival.

More recently I'd have to go to the Breeders Cup again and pick out the 2000 & 2001 Breeders Cup Classics.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=rRnirUnNJFg

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=BdYsb0tUD5s

The outstanding Tom Durkin was sensational on commentary as usual in both races. He has been a big loss to the BC coverage over the past few years.

Last edited:
Remember the murder on the forum that year. Poor old Bobbjo never had a climax like it since.

Ah yes!! I remember before that King George stating that Florida Pearl would win the event if they rode him more forcefully and used his speed and jumping early on. That is exactly what happened...was dying to bring it up myself but (being modest) I left it only for Bobbyjo to remind everyone. That was around the time plenty thought Florida Pearl was a dog.

Remember the murder on the forum that year. Poor old Bobbjo never had a climax like it since.

This is too true.

Alan Morgan always said that FP had the heart of a lamb. I sure did rub that in. Alan, I'm sure, would appreciate the dark humour because as it happened FP probably had a stronger heart than he did. What a loss to the forum he was.

That was my best moment in racing, at that point but it was surpassed by THAT Tingle Creek. What a buzz. Still, I loved Moscow's Queen Mother win at Cheltenham that season. I'll never forget it, watching it up in the Goat. There was pandemonium when he won, being Paddys Day and all. Around 20 mins later, the barman took a microphone and said: "Would the man who tied his dog to the pole outside before the race please return to him - he is getting agitated"

Halycon days

That Tingle Creek is a stand out for me too. I never got such a buzz from a result. I was almost insulted that Azerty could be considered a better animal. Horses and races like that really are only for a moment.

For me, it was when David Kelly scored in the last minute against Grimsby to secure Newcastle's promotion (as champions) back to top flight football in 1993.

I admit that, technically, this has nothing to do with racing.

Decoupage winning the Tote Gold Trophy, 1999 - and not just because I backed him at 16/1!! Watching him swinging off the snaff as he motored down the straight, waiting for Jimmy to press the button and unleash him....fantastic.

Decoupage winning the Tote Gold Trophy, 1999 - and not just because I backed him at 16/1!! Watching him swinging off the snaff as he motored down the straight, waiting for Jimmy to press the button and unleash him....fantastic.

Cannot remember the novice chase he won but I remember him looking awesome that day as well.

Henry VIII at Sandown.

He was certainly awesome, the boy - he was very special. Shame we never got to see him annihilate the field in the King George!

This one did it for me.

The 1995 running of the John Smith’s Melling Chase will go down in racing history as one of the best races ever staged at Aintree. The fact that there were only six runners and two of them were apparently outclassed 33/1 chances was totally irrelevant. The sextet included Viking Flagship, Deep Sensation and Nakir, who had been first, second and third in the Queen Mother Champion Chase at Cheltenham, and Martha’s Son, who had been very impressive when winning the Comet Chase at Ascot, with Deep Sensation behind, but had missed Cheltenham because his trainer Tim Forster felt that the undulations of that course would not suit him. Southolt, one of the 33/1 shots, made the running until the second last when Martha’s Son went ahead and at the final jump he, the Viking Flagship and Deep Sensation were in a line. They went at it hammer and tongs all the way to the post where Viking Flagship was a short-head in front of Deep Sensation, with Martha’s Son a length further behind.

Back