MP Jo Cox shooting

Loach is a reprehensible cur, anyway.
Using dead Palestinians as a propaganda tool to bash the state of Israel is the lowest of the low.

When people cite a particular cause while murdering somebody it doesn't happen out of thin air, even if they are deranged. I totally accept that Farage is as horrified as everyone else by Jo Cox's murder, but some people following his agenda are prepared to go a lot further than he is and extremists and nutters pick up on this. The 'next step is violence' speech referenced by Warbler shows that Farage himself is aware of this. It places him in a difficult position which he has to handle with care.

"I think it's legitimate to say, that if people feel they've lost control, completely, and we have lost control of our borders completely as members of the European Union, and if people feel that voting doesn't change anything, then violence is the next step"

The first and hopefully the last time I crawl to the defence of Farage but I do think you're misinterpreting his intent.

His use of the word 'legitimate' is unfortunate though he does qualify it with 'I think' which suggests to me he was really meaning 'reasonable' 'plausible' or 'acceptable' which in my opinion the rest of his statement is, though I personally don't give it much credence

Further qualifiers would have been wise: 'some people' and 'there could be violence' instead of his dogmatic choice

A somewhat badly worded bite that to me sounded and read like a warning rather than incitement

Yours is a British perspective, we aren't as tuned into dog-whistling to the extent that Americans are. They've been subjected to it for much longer than we have, and learned to spot it more readily and "call it out". For instance, Donald Trump was pounced on by the media and opponents alike for this statement in March, and accused of dog-whistling a less than veiled threat.

“If you disenfranchise those people, and you say, ‘I’m sorry, you’re 100 votes short’…I think you’d have problems like you’ve never seen before. I think bad things would happen.... (when pushed, he qualified it by saying) .... I think you'd have riots"

It's really not too far removed from

"and if people feel that voting doesn't change anything, then violence is the next step"

Both candidates are talking about a situation where they fail to get the result they want, and suggetsing that this would result in violence. The American interpretation of Trump's dog-whistle is very different though.

By contrast, you would suggest he is a prophet making a forecast of what would happen. They basically called him out on it as making a threat. It was widely held by commentators and analysts that the dog whistle in this case was being aimed at his own supporters (legitimacy) and the executive branch of the GOP (the target)

Incidentally, Donald Trump is equally adept at utilising the other qualifer that you suggest gives him a pass out too.

"Some people call her Pocahontas" - Trump in the last couple of weeks trying to mock Sen Elizabeth Warren over her native Cherokee ancestry - (which is a bit questionable in truth).

There's only one person who calls Elizabeth Warren, Pocahontas (or did do) and that's Trump. I haven't checked the tweets that his echo chambers produce, but would be preapred to guess that there is a strong likelihood others have followed him now.

Mind you, other commentators also suggest that Trump has done away with the traditional dog-whistle to appeal to the receptive race voter, and gone "full fog horn"

For context, it's also worth acknowledging that Trump has also called directly for violence against protestors, even offering to pay the legal bills of anyone who takes up his challenge. No one is accusing Farage of having stepped over this threshold

Last edited:
The problem is if you whip up hate you have no control over what those influenced by that rhetoric will do . The fury of Farage et al at the connection being made with the conduct of the Leave campaign is the rage of Caliban seeing his reflection in the mirror .

It is far easier to be enraged by that suggestion than to face up to it - no doubt because Farage and his UKIP mates would feel desperately guilty and full of regret if the connection were made out .

I tend to think its people on the ground where the problem lies and just not with the mouthpiece.
What gets me about the way UKIP supporters operate, is they spread their views at any given opportunity.
E.G You can't walk into a taxi where I am without being told about the foreigners'.

People have to be able to differentiate between what is a private view to be shared with your mates, as opposed to spilling your guts out to anybody and everybody, in my case a stranger in a taxi where I'm clearly only looking to get from A to B....

I don't think any of our leaders would encourage violence (despite the Farage quote).
I think a lot of this hate is being generated through misunderstandings. There's only so much you can bash a provoking political point home without upsetting someone somewhere or making someone very angry.

Last edited:
Marble

look at some quotes from john McDonnell. You can also guarantee that The fake outrage and very desperate linking of farage to this terrible incident would not be replicated in relation to a leader who has called for a uk politiican to be assassinated and fully supported "violent struggle" against uk citizens

I'm just making some simple points Clivex, I haven't the time today to get involved in party politics with you, or who said what when.

Fair enough,. You keep talking to me as if I'm a supporter/member of John Mcdonnell and Labour though which I'm not.

Last edited:
It's being reported that a plane trailing a 'vote Leave' banner flew over one of the birthday memorial events. The official Leave campaign have denied responsibility and that points directly at Farage who has form in this regard. It's pretty much at his level but you do start to wonder whether or not he's trying to sabotage the official Leave campaign. After all, if we do vote to leave without him being part of the official group then he has no point or purpose in the future. He certainly won't get anywhere near power. On the other hand, if we vote to remain but only by a small margin, he can claim that it was because he wasn't allowed to be more prominent. He can continue to pick up his Euro MP money for doing sod all and still be a pain in the @rse to the Tories.

Marble

look at some quotes from john McDonnell. You can also guarantee that The fake outrage and very desperate linking of farage to this terrible incident would not be replicated in relation to a leader who has called for a uk politiican to be assassinated and fully supported "violent struggle" against uk citizens

Fake outrage - a young mother of two was murdered - if you regard 99% of the public 's reaction to such an event as fake outrage - then I pity you .

Fake outrage - a young mother of two was murdered - if you regard 99% of the public 's reaction to such an event as fake outrage - then I pity you .

you have willfully misread.

The fake outrage is about farages comments. As you well know. Don't waste my time

It's being reported that a plane trailing a 'vote Leave' banner flew over one of the birthday memorial events. The official Leave campaign have denied responsibility and that points directly at Farage who has form in this regard. It's pretty much at his level but you do start to wonder whether or not he's trying to sabotage the official Leave campaign. After all, if we do vote to leave without him being part of the official group then he has no point or purpose in the future. He certainly won't get anywhere near power. On the other hand, if we vote to remain but only by a small margin, he can claim that it was because he wasn't allowed to be more prominent. He can continue to pick up his Euro MP money for doing sod all and still be a pain in the @rse to the Tories.

Saw this. Are you surprised though?

Back