Murtagh at Ballydoyle

Fran would be a very decent replacement - hugely respected on the Irish scene - very little big race experience would have to count against him though - only no 1 jockey for one of the big stables this year - and a very quiet one at that - wish you well EC on your bet !

There is no way Aiden would tolerate me. The third time I'd interupt his instrustions to say "That's not the way Kevin does it" I'd be out on my ear.

I'm with you EC1, i would see Berry as a logical choice. Apart from Johnny and Smullen, nobody has been riding as good as Berry the last 2 years.

I see no problem with anyone dismissing anyones opinion on this market and I would confidently put a line through Berry on the strength of Galileo's post.

Last edited:
The reason Berry has no chance is that he's an absolute liability and is tactically inept.

Joseph O'Brien is a better jockey.

The reason Berry has no chance is that he's an absolute liability and is tactically inept.

Joseph O'Brien is a better jockey.

how would you display that O'Brien is a better jockey..have you got figures to show that he is better?..is Berry being judged on a few rides that stick in the mind etc

i don't follow the jockey thing that much so i am pretty ignorant of who is what..but i would love to know how these opinions are formed

In my opinion, Gearoid is a better jockey than Fran Berry.

He's absolutely woeful and seems to really fluff it on the big stage.

i don't follow the jockey thing that much so i am pretty ignorant of who is what..but i would love to know how these opinions are formed

Im a bit the same and think its the most overated factor in selecting horses. Who was the pro punter who said that at any one time there is little more than a lb between the top dozen or so?

Fran Berry has worked in Oxx's yard for years - seen lots of the top jockey's go through and finally got in as first jockey this season with Kinane gone. There is no chance he is going to leave the job after just one season. That is before you even consider if he would be up to the job - he is not. He only rode his first Group 1 winner this year.

Fran Berry has worked in Oxx's yard for years - seen lots of the top jockey's go through and finally got in as first jockey this season with Kinane gone. There is no chance he is going to leave the job after just one season. That is before you even consider if he would be up to the job - he is not. He only rode his first Group 1 winner this year.

i see what you mean..but wouldn't he be just the mouldable type of jock that AOB wants?...he can shape him how he wants..whereas someone with more about them/plenty of big race success... is going to get bored with being told what to do in a race all the time

Lester would never have ridden for AOB for instance would he?..can you imagine LP being told how to ride in a group race..even Vincent didn't tell him what to do

its not necessarily the best jock AOB wants..its the best one who will do as he is told

Last edited:
Given the number of horses Ballydoyle run in the Group 1s it is highly likely the likes of Murtagh and Moore will be riding for him next year anyway. Does Stoute have an obvious Guineas horse?

I heard that Squealers had been offered it and declined, no? One could say erm, JACQUELINE QUEST, too - wouldn't like to think what the reaction would be if he let one like that happen again.

Back