Murtagh at Ballydoyle

The way Cecil is going at the moment being his stable jockey is one of the best jobs in racing anyway. Smallish number of horses but chocked full of quality. Lower workload with a high % return. Queally would be mad to leave. Cecil seems like a great guy to work for as well.

I don't think they'll appoint anyone unless they can get someone right out of the top drawer.

I certainly wouldn't be betting on the outcome...

Ballydoyle have at least nine Group 1 winners to look forward to running next year - So You Think, Fame and Glory, Cape Blanco, St. Nicholas Abbey, Jan Vermeer, Roderic O'Connor, Recital, Zoffany and Misty For Me. There is also Await The Dawn, Seville and whatever else might come out of the woodwork. Not to be sneezed at !

By Jon Lees 12:27PM 15 NOV 2010
JOHNNY MURTAGH has been retained to ride all the horses owned by the Aga Khan in Ireland next season, it has been announced.
The arrangement will give Murtagh, who last week resigned from his stable jockey position with Ballydoyle trainer Aidan O'Brien, access to 120 horses the owner has with John Oxx and Michael Halford.
Murtagh will be renewing his association with Oxx, for whom he rode the Aga Khan's Derby, Irish Derby and Arc winner Sinndar during his time as stable jockey to the trainer from 1992 to 2003, when he rode 18 Group 1 winners for the Aga Khan.

The owner said: "I am delighted to have secured a world class jockey like Johnny Murtagh as my retained rider in Ireland. We have had some wonderful days in the past and we look forward to renewing our successful association.
"I believe it is vital to the continued success of my bloodstock operation to have a retained jockey in the countries where my horses are trained. This has been the situation in France for many years and I am most pleased now to have a similar arrangement inIreland."

Murtagh returned from the Breeders' Cup last week to announce he would not be continuing his successful association with the Ballydoyle operation, although he has not explained the reasons behind his decision to end the link.

Of his new job he said: "I am thrilled to be renewing my association with His Highness's horses in Ireland. We have shared some fantastic moments over the years and I have always enjoyed riding in the green and red colours.

"This will also give me an opportunity to ride for John Oxx again. I started off riding for Mr Oxx and it has always been a pleasure to be part of his Currabeg team."

The new arrangement will be a blow to Fran Berry, who succeeded Mick Kinane as Oxx's stable jockey this year. The Aga Khan thanked Berry and said he would continue to be used when necessary.

Christophe Lemaire will continue as the owner's retained rider in France having recently signed a two-year contract running from 2011 to 2012.

The Aga Khan obviously knows that he couldn't risk having Berry ride one in a big race for him. Wise move.

Johnny lands on his feet again!

It sounds good on paper - and in truth probably as much as he could get in Ireland considering the team ups already established - but prize money last year for the Aga in Ireland came to just over €519,000 with few stars.

Had no idea he had anywhere near 120 horses in training in Ireland these days. Oxx must have a battalion of unraced 3yo's to come out next year.

I once rode in a donkey derby in Anglesey when I was about 11, got into traffic in the middle of the race and finished like a train for fifth when it was all over.

This gives me more of a claim to the job than Fran Berry yet ironically, a similar riding style.

Where does Fran go now? Don't think he has enough experience to get the Ballydoyle job, despite the link with JPMcM. Might he try his hand in the UK?

Last edited:
Back